Thread: SSD Probelm

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

SSD Probelm

Hi all.
    So, recently i purchased and Intel 330 120Gb SSD and installed it on my sistem. Everything went smooth, windows installed with no problem.
    About 4 or so hours later i got a blue screen... and (stupidly) I thought "it may be just this once" so i did not care about it. But unfortunatly the blue screens and random freezes would happen randomly and at least 2 / 3 times a day. i managed to find the error code was "F4" or something. I did some search about this and it seems it is something related to the controller but nothing straight forward.
    I have sent an e-mail to intel 2 days ago but still nothing, so I'm hoping you guys can help me.
    I suspect it may be my MB (ASRock M3N78D) since it doesnt even have Sata III and is not exactly a new board (and I've heard the Nvidia chipset on AMD board is... well... bad).

Is there a sollution for this? Or should i just wait for the new AMD chipset and buy a decent MB then alongside a Steamroller cpu when they come out?

Thank you in advance.

Deleted
    Have you tried the latest Firmware update ?
    A Sata III SSD is backwards compatible with Sata II...I take it your motherboard is sata II which in that case is fine, it will run at sata II speeds so a motherboard upgrade would be best suited to actually see any benefits of using a sata III ssd.
    You could also try downloading the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.
    Last edited by mmoc8d9a66b0a0; 2012-12-10 at 09:19 PM.

Deleted
    Yes I downloaded the Intell toolbox and the firmware was up to date. I also ran their tests with no problems so its not likely the drive itself... i remember i had to go to the device manager to deactivate some nVidia controller because it said the controller was not correctly installed everytime i got to windows (did this after some search about the problem which aperently was a common thing). I think it said something with Sata on it, but i may be fooled by my mind since i've been thinking about it

Deleted
    Have you tied switching to AHCI mode?

Just throwing this out there did you make sure the bios was set to ahci mode rather than ide. Kind of reaching out on that idea. You might want to test if you plug into a different sata port if the problem persists. Firmware update, bios update, possible bad drive are other ideas.

Edit: lol Stravs I was typing as you added the ahci post lawlz
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Deleted
    I've also red about that AHCI thingy... but I didnt understand what was going on so I didnt change anything. I will try to figure out how to do that thank.

Quote Originally Posted by diay View Post
    I've also red about that AHCI thingy... but I didnt understand what was going on so I didnt change anything. I will try to figure out how to do that thank.
    Ahci is just mainly meant for trim function on SSD's which prevents wearing & gives loads of stability/performance. Just been googling and your motherboard has an nvidia 720i chipset.

STEP 1: Set Up BIOS.
    A. Enter BIOS SETUP UTILITY Advanced screen Storage Configuration.
    B. Set the “SATA Operation Mode” option to [AHCI].

Just follow these steps to enable AHCI, reboot pc & fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Ahci is just mainly meant for trim function on SSD's which prevents wearing & gives loads of stability/performance. Just been googling and your motherboard has an nvidia 720i chipset.

STEP 1: Set Up BIOS.
    A. Enter BIOS SETUP UTILITY Advanced screen Storage Configuration.
    B. Set the “SATA Operation Mode” option to [AHCI].

Just follow these steps to enable AHCI, reboot pc & fixed.
    You may have to re install windows if you change it from IDE to AHCI. I have had computers work fine after and others not want to boot. Just a warning.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Helieos View Post
    You may have to re install windows if you change it from IDE to AHCI. I have had computers work fine after and others not want to boot. Just a warning.
    If that happens, just run a repair from any w7 disk..

Deleted
    Ok so you guys know right now i'm on my previous WD HDD and the SSD is not even installed. I went to the bios and it was something like this:

Onboard IDE Controller [Enabled]
    Onboard SATA Controller [Enabled]
    SATA Operation Mode [AHCI]

When i install windows I never touch the bios so I suppose that it is the same way on the SSD, unless IDE for some weird reason.

Ok so you guys know right now i'm on my previous WD HDD and the SSD is not even installed. I went to the bios and it was something like this:

Onboard IDE Controller [Enabled]
    Onboard SATA Controller [Enabled]
    SATA Operation Mode [AHCI]

When i install windows I never touch the bios so I suppose that it is the same way on the SSD, unless IDE for some weird reason.
    If it's set like that get your SSD in & format it and install windows 7. You have like that ahci enabled so np.

Deleted
    Tomorrow I'll format the drive and do a clean install with special attention to AHCI mode... if it keeps on giving me blue screens and freezes regularly, I might have to either insist with intel for a solution or return the drive.

I got the same bluescreen problem with my "OCZ Vertex3 SSD 120GB"... i read some threads about it and everytime i read about firmware updates... problem here is that windows is already installed on the SSD and i can only update it without windows on it...

is there eventually any other solution which can help?

Tomorrow I'll format the drive and do a clean install with special attention to AHCI mode... if it keeps on giving me blue screens and freezes regularly, I might have to either insist with intel for a solution or return the drive.
    Just don't use hot plug stuff etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Borega View Post
    I got the same bluescreen problem with my "OCZ Vertex3 SSD 120GB"... i read some threads about it and everytime i read about firmware updates... problem here is that windows is already installed on the SSD and i can only update it without windows on it...

is there eventually any other solution which can help?
    I found some sort of Linux based installation with OCZ. I had activated RAID-0 and installed OS on mine before I noticed the bugs. So that Linux system is on an USB which causes that to temporary be your main OS so you can update the firmware on the SSDs :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I found some sort of Linux based installation with OCZ. I had activated RAID-0 and installed OS on mine before I noticed the bugs. So that Linux system is on an USB which causes that to temporary be your main OS so you can update the firmware on the SSDs :P
    That problem with the OCZ vertex3 causing BSOD was just a firmware bug, I had this aswell with my Agility 3 which disappeared with the FW update 1.2 orsomething. The linux distribution was just to update the FW.

Don't know what you exactly mean with raid0?

Deleted
    -.-

this is what happens when i think i know stuff that i actually dont know.
    Turns out I just learned how to update a firmware... I didn't know i had to save the iso to a cd and then install it from there. Damn i feel stupid for not reading files that say "Read Me".
    Anyway does the firmware update need to be done on a blank drive or can i do it on the ssd with the sistem already installed in it?

-.-

this is what happens when i think i know stuff that i actually dont know.
    Turns out I just learned how to update a firmware... I didn't know i had to save the iso to a cd and then install it from there. Damn i feel stupid for not reading files that say "Read Me".
    Anyway does the firmware update need to be done on a blank drive or can i do it on the ssd with the sistem already installed in it?
    Sometimes a FW update wipes the disk complety, sometimes it doesn't. I actually don't know if this update would do it. But you can update the FW the SSD with having files on the SSD ofcourse, relating to my first sentence now.

I possibly have to guess that you don't have any important files on your SSD yet? If you really don't, just install the FW and pop your w7 installation disk and format drive and install W7 on the SSD.

Short thing to mention, if you update the firmware and you format the drive, the firmware isn't deleted. This is on a chip and not in the memory of a disk, so it persists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Sometimes a FW update wipes the disk complety, sometimes it doesn't. I actually don't know if this update would do it. But you can update the FW the SSD with having files on the SSD ofcourse, relating to my first sentence now.

I possibly have to guess that you don't have any important files on your SSD yet? If you really don't, just install the FW and pop your w7 installation disk and format drive and install W7 on the SSD.

Short thing to mention, if you update the firmware and you format the drive, the firmware isn't deleted. This is on a chip and not in the memory of a disk, so it persists.
    Awesome. Hopefully this will get rid of the problem.

You are right since it gave me problems i dont have anything there besides the OS, steam and some other programs. Also thanks for pointing out that the firmwire wont be deleted, i would have asked about that :P

So now i just Burn the firmwire ISO on a disk -> turn my pc off -> insert firmwire disk, and then it should update right? after that its safe to format and do a clean install i guess.

Awesome. Hopefully this will get rid of the problem.

You are right since it gave me problems i dont have anything there besides the OS, steam and some other programs. Also thanks for pointing out that the firmwire wont be deleted, i would have asked about that :P

So now i just Burn the firmwire ISO on a disk -> turn my pc off -> insert firmwire disk, and then it should update right? after that its safe to format and do a clean install i guess.
    Yeah.. If you encounter trouble, just let us know.

Don't cancel the FW update when it's updating, just be patient.