Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I want to quote Obi-Wan after Luke's aunt and uncle were killed.

"There was nothing you could have done, Luke, had you been there. You'd have been killed too, and the droids would now be in the hands of the Empire."

So if you would've interfered you would've shared the same fate and your uncle's meds would've been in the hands of the gangsters.

Now go become a jedi and teach those scum a lesson!
    Last edited by Buttfear; 2012-12-10 at 10:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Being killed in a gun fight with the purpose of having a small yet realistic chance of saving an innocent? I call that a worthy death.
    watch out guys, looks like we got a bad ass over here

Infracted: Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-12-10 at 11:25 PM.

id expect something like that to happen in pakistan and i dont know if your actions were normal or not as i wouldnt go there myself, if i did id have a gun and i would have shot at every one of them. the people there act like animals, treat like animals...so visiting there you should be prepared to take an animal down if needed

Self preservation is man's foremost thought. Blame nature for you wanting to save your own life, not yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    There's nothing you could do, some places in the world are just really fucked up beyond help.

That's just horrible. I felt emotional reading it... I am too empathetic I guess.

Being killed in a gun fight with the purpose of having a small yet realistic chance of saving an innocent? I call that a worthy death.
    I call that insanity. Like, have you ever been evaluated? Because if you want to save innocent lives, you don't throw your own life away in a vain attempt to save one person. Throwing your life away in such a manner is counter to survival instincts, which is where the insanity comes in. It isn't strength that allows you to do something foolish.

I was sort of believing it up until the point you claimed to know the taxi driver and knew his name and stuff.

I call that insanity. Like, have you ever been evaluated? Because if you want to save innocent lives, you don't throw your own life away in a vain attempt to save one person. Throwing your life away in such a manner is counter to survival instincts, which is where the insanity comes in. It isn't strength that allows you to do something foolish.
    UM I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF SACRIFICING MYSELF TO SAVE SOMEONE ELSE AND I BELIEVE THAT ANYONE WHO FEELS THE INNER DUTY TO PROTECT ANOTHER PERSON'S LIFE IS INSANE BECAUSE IT GOES AGAINST BASIC NATURAL INSTINCT.

Mmochampion Forums at work, people.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might think you did the wrong thing but that was definitely the right thing, you likely would've died if you tried to attack them or anything like that. Smart move and don't think otherwise.

I don't think you're a bad person, but I do think you're a person of poor moral fortitude

15+ Year Old Account
    People in gangs are simply cowards. They're just like bikers, strength in numbers.

If you intervened, it is likely that they would have killed you too. Throwing your life away like that would be ridiculous.

Take the experience as a lesson. Don't hide from it or try to forget it. Embrace it and get in a situation where you CAN help.

Quote Originally Posted by SunShot View Post
    I understand its kind of a trauma to you, but be patient, time will heal mental injuries like this, first of all Pakistan is other world than u used to live in Canada, different rules of life there, now if you want to justify your position in that situation, well think like this, yes, you would look like a hero if u would stood for that man, but think what would happen to yourself then? Killed, maybe in coma if lucky enough, you could have saved one, but now you have opportunity to save more, to do more good things in life, life is a great gift, don't risk with it by playing heroes ( unless you have super-natural powaz)
    or bribe the military to show up and cut them down with 50 cals and all the while taping it. then broadcast it on tv and tell those gangs what happens when they pull shit like that, doh.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    You call it insanity, I call it standard MMO Champ forum bell-end Bulls**t. The guy is talking out of his backside in an attempt to validate his own ego/self-worth by bigging himself up. See the same crap when you hear idiots think they can take on 6 guys alone in a bar when they weigh 50kg and watched a Bruce Lee movie once.
    Standard "Dunning-Kruger" effect in action.

Always makes me laugh seeing people condemn/point out their higher value of morality when they are sat comfortably at home, and the closest they have come to mortal peril is when they had too many Taco's the night before, and they ran out of toilet paper.
    I'm not exactly defending the guy who made the original "worthy death" post, but being an assumptuious prick who just thinks that anyone who says they'd go out of their own safety to protect an innocent is just some skinny/fat nerd who watches kung-fu movies is, well, no better than being a fat/skinny nerd who watches kung-fu movies.

Granted, of course, it's likely that 90% of the time the person talking about how they'd jump in and try to save someone's life IS in fact just talking out of their ass to try and look cool, it doesn't mean everyone is some big teddy bear who wouldn't do anything to help someone else if it meant putting their own life in danger, and it sure as HELL doesn't mean that that person is "insane" for going against some incredibly primal instinct as if humans are just animals that have no real control over how they behave in situations of danger.

But, again, Mmochampion forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Warning: Chill with bashing DEATHETERNAL everyone. Disagreeing is fine, but don't personally attack other posters.

What you did was entirely reasonable, OP. Don't beat yourself up over something you couldn't prevent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the second quote in my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Funny that, most peeps *with* some form of training, aren't going to go in blind, into a situation they know nothing about, with no form of back-up, awareness of the entire situation/potential threats, and whether or not they could make a difference anyways.
    I am not being an assumptious prick, thanks, but merely pointing out the guy *is* talking horses**t. No one knows how they would react in a situation like that, as it can flare up in a heartbeat with no understanding of how/why. but hey, thanks for assuming everything because Captain Awesome decides he is the single greatest thing, and is like, Batman and can kick ass anywhere in the world without any form of assistance or back up, and I make a little statement you take completely out of context because your head is up your ass as well.

Seriously, your talking shite here as well, its funny. But to be completely expected form peeps here
    Holy shit, sorry. I didn't know I was getting into an argument with DA SMARTAST MAN ALIVE!!!!11 (especially when what I was saying wasn't even really directed towards you, but hey.) I've learned my folly and will concede to your crippling levels of intelligence.
    Last edited by JimPaladin; 2012-12-10 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Well, you probably just would have gotten yourself killed had you gotten involved, so no, I'd say you weren't a bad person.
    Basically. You would've done nothing but get two people killed that day, OP. There was nothing you could have done. You're not a bad person and yes, your actions were reasonable for that situation. Even if we assume you would've been able to save the man and come out alive yourself, the individual who is that selfless is rare and a lack of that selflessness doesn't make you a bad person either.

10+ Year Old Account
    *hugs *comfort

In a country where the biggest bully wins, either by way of bribery of corrupt officials or large numbers of gangs who operate daily via sheer pointless, vicious violence among many others horrible things I'm sure go on, what is a single 20 yr old or even a few innocent ppl supposed to do?!

I am so terribly & sincerely sorry for what happened & what you witnessed, but you were not part of it. It feels awful not to step in but we all know you'd be dead as well now & most likely made to suffer greatly before your death simply for standing up to these monsters, as they see a selfless act against their tyranny simply as a hostile move instead of an heroic one.

Even if you'd been armed it is very unlikely you could have saved Anwar & as nice of an honest man as he sounded he would not have wanted you to die alongside him. And if the gang found out your name or who you're related to, your remaining Family members over there would then be tormented & pursued by that nasty gang of mindless heartless thugs.

Those stupid thugs wouldn't have yielded to your gun, they would have just shot at you & unless you could have somehow shot them all Waco Kid style in Blazing Saddles, you'd be dead.

I don't mean any insult or anything by showing a comedy vid but sometimes a little levity can relieve a bit of the immense pressures of what I'm sure you must be experiencing; PTSD & some survivors' guilt. Please try to remember that through no fault of your own you were thrown into this. None of which is your responsibility.

I wish you would consider seeing a therapist or speak to someone as I suspect you may have PTSD. Let a professional help you so this isn't the defining moment (in your view) for the rest of your life <3
    *hugs *comfort
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2012-12-11 at 12:11 AM.

Allot of hate going on in here, well eighter way, not risking you life in a situation is the standard way of acting.
    Is it the correct way? In a way, no, because if everyone stood up to this, it wouldn't happen,atleast in theory,the world could use more bravery.
    But one person can only do so much, so don't beat yourself up over it, not everyone is a hero.

I don't agree with the people who say it's insane or stupid to do so tho, and I HOPE that I would have the courage to go in and help even if it gets me killed. I'm braver thene the average guy sure, but I've never faced a gang that's really out to kill people, only just random bullies and jerks. So I don't know if I would eighter. Chances are I'd freeze too, but I would beat myself up later for not doing anything, it goes against everything I stand for as a person.

Being outnumbered like that doesn't help tho, and having seen what they did to the taxidriver must be harsh.
    You're not a bad person at all for having made the choices you made, you're acting like a normal human being has always acted.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2012-12-11 at 12:05 AM.