Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Super genius idea for world pvp

Many people agree that CRZs are stupidly broken, especially on PvP servers.

So I started off thinking how to make PvP fair for lowbies but not taking away any PvP enjoyment from max levels.

Then it dawned on me....take one part Guild Wars 2, take one part LotRO, mix together and BAM!

What am I talking about?

Well in Guild Wars 2, stats are fixed by the level. If you're level 80 in a level 20 zone, all your stats get reduced to level 20. But this probably won;t fly to well in WoW. WoW's itemization and core mechanics make this pretty much impossible.

Then I got to thinking of LotRO "PvP" where you can play as orcs and what not in specialized PvP zones.

And this leads to the ultimate world PvP idea....

If you kill a greyed out lowbie, you "transform" into the specific zones' mob type with pre-determined skills and are de-leveled until you leave the zone.

"Say what?" is probably what you are saying. So let me give you an example:

You're a level 90 Blood Elf looking to gank some alliance nubs in Redridge. You find this delectable level 21 who is farming some tin. You one shot him and /laugh, /spit.

But on doing so you are transformed into now a level 30 orc scout with a bunch of specific skills. Why an orc? Because orcs are typically the main theme in Redridge. And you're not a Horde orc....you're a Blackrock Orc, like those found in the zone.

"But why level 30 when the nub I killed was level 21?"

Because Redridge is designed with level 25 being typically the max level before you leave the zone to quest elsewhere. Giving a 5 level bump to the predetermined zone will make sure you can still keep some of your power.

"And if max level Alliance scum come and kill me when I'm level 30...what then?"

Then the alliance follow the same rules. They kill someone greyed out, including your level 30 blackrock orc, they get turned into something that corresponds with the alliance presence in teh zone. So in Redridge, Alliance killing lowbie horde turns them into Redridge town guards.

"But town guards are level 90, they will one shot a level 30 horde player!"

All guards shall have their level reduced to the zone's max. So town guards in Redridge will be reduced to level 25. This will also stop Blizzard from redoing guard levels every expansion.

"This sounds pretty awesome, can you tell me more?"

Sure can. The possibilities are endless. In more neutral type zones, alliance and horde can be the same type of transformed avatar. Like in STV, kill a greyed out lowbie....you become a Zul'Gurub troll. In Western Plaguelands, a ghoul.

And by doing this you not only have world pvp but also you make a world immersive again with enemies.

This idea isn't completely without flaws, but I think its a start.

Deleted
    I don't know. I don't think people are going to be happy being turned into something else, especially something with difference skills. Perhaps a better idea would be to scale the players stats down to a level determined by the victim's stats, this would accomidate for the gear problem.

But I have a feeling alot of people would rather not see any change what so ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I don't know. I don't think people are going to be happy being turned into something else, especially something with difference skills. Perhaps a better idea would be to scale the players stats down to a level determined by the victim's stats, this would accomidate for the gear problem.

But I have a feeling alot of people would rather not see any change what so ever.
    This. I think you started with a good idea but went too far. Downlevelling works but I think there has to be control over it.

Personally, I'd like to see a daily quest which changes regularly. Go to zone x, report to commander y and then complete quests a, b and c. From the point you complete the breadcrumb quest until you hand in whatever quests you get you're in a downranked CRZ version of the zone.

It's completely optional but would give some honor/conq to give incentive to ppl to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    Many people agree that CRZs are stupidly broken, especially on PvP servers.

So I started off thinking how to make PvP fair for lowbies but not taking away any PvP enjoyment from max levels.

This idea isn't completely without flaws, but I think its a start.
    Super Genius? not. Interesting, perhaps. Logistically impossible, quite likely.

Or, skip all that and institute dishonorable kills like they had with NPCs.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

While it's definitely an interesting concept, it's not for WoW. Maybe some small game that Nexon or a similar company makes, but not WoW. And if you give the attacker 5 levels over every mob in that zone, then he's still more powerful, and a level 30 is gonna be able to kill a level 25, unless you reduce the stats, and it just gets more and more convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Super Genius? not. Interesting, perhaps. Logistically impossible, quite likely.

Or, skip all that and institute dishonorable kills like they had with NPCs.

i think dishonorable kill style is the way to go. deduct honor when they kill someone 10 levels lower, or something. i dont like the OPs idea, to confusing and would not really work with WoWs style.

Interesting and creative solution to a problem that does not exist. Ganking happens on pvp servers, and when it's a lvl 90 killing a lvl 20 it stings a little more than it does other times. Azeroth still spins on its axis, and your corpse run isn't getting any shorter. Nor, for what it's worth, is that lvl 90's corpse run the next time someone takes him or her out. That lvl 90 is probably pretty familiar with the graveyards of Redridge, and you will be too by the time you're lvl 90.

Sorry so callous, but this is exactly what pvp servers are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjuk View Post
    Interesting and creative solution to a problem that does not exist. Ganking happens on pvp servers, and when it's a lvl 90 killing a lvl 20 it stings a little more than it does other times. Azeroth still spins on its axis, and your corpse run isn't getting any shorter. Nor, for what it's worth, is that lvl 90's corpse run the next time someone takes him or her out. That lvl 90 is probably pretty familiar with the graveyards of Redridge, and you will be too by the time you're lvl 90.

Sorry so callous, but this is exactly what pvp servers are for.
    I agree, while PVE does have it easier on world questing and farming, PVP is more fun and exciting for this reason. I get ganked all the time too on my lowbies. I don't get frustrated b/c I can only play about 20 mins each day, which I use for my pet battle dailies. I don't even have a level 90 character at this point, and I can't be bothered to spend 50+ hrs for leveling from 85-90 just so I can gank lowbies - which sadly seems to be what many 90s have been reduced to doing. TBH, maybe to reduce the ganking 'problem', there needs to be more interesting and rewarding pvp things to do for higher level characters.

Deleted
    or people could just accept that ganking lowlevels has been going on since the inception of the game and just deal with it.
    STV used to be a nightmare for people leveling during vanilla.

if they cant deal with it, then GTFO a PVP realm. Only people that seem to be complaining about CRZ are those that where crying that there was no world PVP. Well you cant have it both ways where your able to WPVP and not run the risk of being slaughtered by people much higher levels than you.

As for the reduction in stats wont work, what happens during a city attack and the attacking force drops a few lowbies who are there to watch ? suddenly whole raid goes from max level to low level and easily killable. A simple defense mechanism to such city attacks would just to have some lowlevel "human" shields. [example]

No more vehicles/special new ability mechanics ever thank you.

Eh, don't think people would like that much.

IMO they should perfect the level-scaling tech - which may require some significant changes to the way WoW's stats and so on function. Which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, despite all the revamps they're still a bit dull and old fashioned. Once they've gotten that right they can scale everyone to the same level for PVP purposes and leave PVE alone, ie your level 10 mage does normal level 10 damage when shooting an Ice Lance at a mob but level 90 damage when shooting at a player. Or make all attacks do a % of a player's health pool instead of fixed damage. So lowbies would still be at a disadvantage, lacking PVP gear and half their abilities, but at least they'd have a chance to fight back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't like the idea, I want to gank lowbies all day long, camping them at the graveyard, have em make level 1 alts on my server to either cry or to call me names.

Ganking and camping are parts of a pvp-server, it's ment to be like that and if you can't deal with it, pve servers are that way ---->

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    it has been said once and it will be said again if you dont wanna be ganked then dont play on a pvp server!

Scaling systems are generally fairly poor, they don't compensate well for the fact that even if stats are equalised the higher level still has access to X levels more of skills/talented abilities etc.

And honestly this is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. This is how pvp servers are meant to be, the people who rolled on pvp servers not wanting pvp should not have rolled there and should just leave if they can't deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would rather take one from warhammer's book where if you kill a lowbie and gain a dishonorable kill you will turn into a chicken and are 1-shotable.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Genius level in creativity! I'll give it that.

Not a terrible idea -- I mean who wouldn't want to become a Blackrock Orc or a town guard for a litte bit; just think it would get old kind of fast.

Like everyone has said before, the irrefutable fact remains: You can always just level up on a PVE server. Especially now with transfers, there's no excuse.

Wouldnt you also have worry about balacing class in 1v1 at every lvl bracket, also if stats scale when you enter a lvl zone wht type would they scale too a person in heirloom gear or a person in regular questing green.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the whole shape-shifting players into lower level mobs is a iffy idea for wow. There is a reason why people from both factions go down to lowbie area and kill nubs, because it entertains them and they find a lot of fun doing that. Ganking lowbies to some people is like you raiding or PvP all day.

All they have to do is make you unable to attack players more than 10 levels lower than you.