Improve my tanking dps!

Seeking some help on how to improve my tanking dps i generally end fights around 40 to 42k dps
    Maybe someone to pick apart logs better then i can and give me some advice where it is needed

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want us to help you, link logs.

Deleted
    40k dps seems a good dps for a tank spec. What's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    I'm doing 60-110k o_0

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    I'm doing more than that as my warrior alt in 462i.... And I am doing 70k+ to up to 110k+ while tanking on my DK.

SoulReaper is your friend. Use it instead of Heart Strike at 35%. Get a priority that's either Mastery > Hitcap > Expsoftcap or Exp>Hit>Mastery if you are confident of your healers / own skill.

Game runes with Runic Empowerment, always leave one Blood Rune up when you Rune Strike so you always activate an Unholy or a Frost rune, so you can have more Death Strikes in.

Pop your Dancing Rune Weapon for DPS (especially at execute phase, getting 2x Soulreaper twice because of DRW is huge). Only keep it for tanking if you need to tank tons of adds / need a melee tanking cooldown. Always use Ghoul on cooldown, always use Army at the start of a fight EXCEPT for on Elegon, there you want to use it at Phase 3 (They will do 2x more dps depending on the amount of stacks on the boss, resulting in a GIGANTIC DPS increase.

At the moment I have 2 tanking sets, one focussing on DPS going HIT > EXP > MASTERY > HASTE > CRIT and a pure tanking build focussing Mastery > Parry > Hit > Exp.

Also have 2-3 Weapons you can switch out (luxury) 1 pure DPS with Fallen Crusader and 1 with Swordshattering and 1 with Spellbreaking (Lei'shi says hi).

I am ranked top 10 for multiple fights this tier and top 30 on almost all of them. And that's basically what I do.

Ps: Most importantly, learn to use Vengeance to your benefit. On 1st boss in HoF, you can actually use Death Strike, have a decent shield, and run into a couple of discs, do a Death Strike and run outside of your shield in Force and Verve. Do a Death Strike and Deathgrip / Dark Command a strong DPS that has been Converted. Use Dark Simulacrum on Cooldown when your DPS is converted so you have a chance to get a decent Cooldown (you might ask 'em on voicecom to use one after you use Dark Sim). You can use AMS to your benefit too, to soak RP from voidzones / survive voidzones for more vengeance.

Sadly we don't have a rogue for tricks, but on that fight I was nr.2 on World of Logs, and that was with half blue gear.

Edit: I know some tank who are like Riggnaros, not giving a fuck about their DPS, but they are wrong. A tank with high dps is the difference between a kill or another 10-20 wipes minimum to get the fight.

I am very good about my Soul Reaper I'm hit and exp capped with 183% mastery I'm going to apply all those other things with DRW and my pet on CD were pushing into HM now I will upload some logs tonight from ToES maybe those will help more. Also I havent really seen a str8 dps tanking build is their 1 with hemming and reforging to hit/exp/haste?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    I'm doing more than that as my warrior alt in 462i.... And I am doing 70k+ to up to 110k+ while tanking on my DK.

[...]

I am ranked top 10 for multiple fights this tier and top 30 on almost all of them. And that's basically what I do.
    So basically if you do 70k and you are ranked 10th probably the 200th will be at 50k dps? So 40k is 80% of that 50k dps so yes, 40k dps is a good amount.

dam how many post do u have to do to post links?

Quote Originally Posted by AkTheDK View Post
    dam how many post do u have to do to post links?
    there have always been plenty of ways around the link prevention.
    Like typing the link without the http://www. or replacing the dots with something else.

Logs worldoflogs.com/guilds/109155/ Armory us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/%c3%80k/simple
    Currently full Mid for heroic windlord generally hit/exp capped with 170-180% mastery more logs will be up tonight with ToEs
    Last edited by AkTheDK; 2012-12-11 at 11:18 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to pull big numbers you're gonna have to sacrifice survivability, which isn't optimal as a tank. Basic rules are keeping diseases up, keep DRW/Ghoul on cooldown and try to never have downtime(which results into HS>DS in some cases). But again, this is by no means optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by AkTheDK View Post
    Logs worldoflogs.com/guilds/109155/ Armory us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/%c3%80k/simple
    Currently full Mid for heroic windlord generally hit/exp capped with 170-180% mastery more logs will be up tonight with ToEs
    Didn't have much time to look at it but what I've seen so far:
    Your DS usage is low and should be closer to 10 per min
    You didn't use Soul Reaper at all

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 04:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman View Post
    If you want to pull big numbers you're gonna have to sacrifice survivability, which isn't optimal as a tank. Basic rules are keeping diseases up, keep DRW/Ghoul on cooldown and try to never have downtime(which results into HS>DS in some cases). But again, this is by no means optimal.
    Oh can't you people just stop trying to force your mitigation > all mentality into every single situation.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2012-12-12 at 03:27 AM.

Can I also steal some help? My guild is currently 4/6 MV and we're hoping to down Elegon tonight(got him to 4% last week). I'm interested in improving my dps and perhaps survivability in general. I'll post some logs in a bit.
    us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Aeidail/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be more of a strat issue than anything, how many orbs are you getting down, that sort of thing.
    But try going with a dps runeforge, it does help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most BDKs say Runic Empowerment is better than Runic Corrpution DMGwise and they are correct, BUT:
    With RE gaming you are less flexible than with RC and you can't hold onto a DS for timing purposes, because then you don't have a fully replenished D/U rune.
    With RC on the other hand, you can hold on to a whole DS ready to blow without wasting your precious RC proccs. you just have to use it up before the 2nd pair of runes are back off cooldown. You can also change from survival to dps back and forth easily, depending on how fast you use your strikes.

In that case, if you want to keep your surviability to a high level and still do a lot of damage, I'd recommend RC for the higher flexibility.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do really well with blood DK dps and you have to sacrifice some survival in order to pull out good DPS, but not a whole lot.

Gear is a large issue. I almost exclusively run with RoTFC because it offers a large DPS increase and honestly, the survival difference isn't that massive between the other tanking forges. Enchant wise I like strength on bracers and gloves because the alternatives are slightly under budget, and much like RoTFC it's not that big of a survival hit as you might think.

As far as stat priority goes for me I typically still go heavy mastery but prefer accuracy stats or haste over avoidance. Haste is a really REALLY good stat for blood DKS and works as a decent survival boost (more DS) in addition to more DPS. We get so much AP through vengeance that strength really doesn't increase our DPS as much as haste or crit would, which brings me to my last point...

DPS GEAR! Yeah DPS gear isn't bad for tanking. Depends on the encounter but if you can grab pieces with mastery/haste or either of those stats with expertise/hit you have a decent piece of gear that fulfills both DPS/Tanking roles. I shy away from crit pieces but haste/mastery/accuracy pieces are pretty good. For whatever god awful reason a select few pieces of tanking gear have lower strength than an equal iLvL DPS piece despite having the same stamina/armor. Anyways if you can get away with it think about using DPS gear.

At the very least RoTFC, strength flask and food is something you might want to play with.

I usually run with RE, game my runes and not really worry about being optimal with my DS healing (basically I don't time them). That's not to say I don't time my runes because I certainly will with really predictable or obvious burst, but as far as normal melee attacks go, I just sort of use my runes (barring one blood rune obviously) when I can.

You on average aren't going to be as durable as people timing DS but you will get more DS per minute, which will typically result in higher DPS. A lot of them will be minimum heals which sound awful, but it isn't as bad as one might think.

You can optimize your DPS by using HS and picking up siphon (it's good for DPS and worth it over DS) but I really don't go that far. I still use DS regardless of the DPS increase, but I rarely optimize it's timing.

Of course it largely depends on the encounter as well.