Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you secretly biased?

I found a very interesting website with a method of demonstrating private biases that I found to be interesting, and is said to be very accurate
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/
    I took the test on race and found that I have a strong bias towards european americans over african americans, which really surprised me, but I can see where it comes from. As much as I try to deny that it has affected me, it I do come from a racist background.
    What about you, do you have any secret biases that you try to overcome or hide?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I told you it wouldn't be a secret now would it.

Yes and no.

Everybody is biased. I don't tell everybody all my biases, but I also don't necessarily try to pretend I'm not biased, either. I've admitted to being emotionally biased against people of specific races in small ways, but I also try to control that and I don't let it reach a considered level.

I'm about to go to bed, so I don't have time for the site tonight, but I certainly acknowledge bias. Not acknowledging bias is actually a form of bias in and of itself.

I think it'd be impossible not to be.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Impossible to not be, you will always have something/someone you favor over something/someone else.

As it turns out, I am biased towards barack obama over franklin roosevelt
    I'm not really surprised about that one

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say I'm biased, really; coming from a nation that is pretty much homogeneous, but with plenty of awareness through media and reading and such, I never really developed such biases from personal experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm biased, really; coming from a nation that is pretty much homogeneous, but with plenty of awareness through media and reading and such, I never really developed such biases from personal experiences.
    I'd give one of the tests a shot, you might be surprised

15+ Year Old Account
    Test tells me I have no real preference over european or black people. I thought I would be slightly be leaning to euro people.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't have a secret bias. I openly state that I don't like certain races.

There's 2 things I need to start with though. I'm Australian so Hispanic and Black Americans mean very little in difference to white Americans. My bias is against our Aborigines and Indians. Secondly, it's not the races so much as their cultures. They're different from my own and I naturally disagree with them and that leads to prejudices. I don't deny it at all.

However, I *know* about them and I deal with it. I do my best to judge a person individually but when it's someone that's unknown, of course I use generalisations, bias and racism as my methods of making a decision. We all do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I secretly associate black people with weapons.
    I don't know what to make of this.
    Back to League of Legends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

I think everyone is to some extent.

"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for African American compared to European American."

Surprisingly I'm white and have spent my entire life in a majority white area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what it is. I have preferences but bias...no.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I'd give one of the tests a shot, you might be surprised
    All four groups were right in the center of the chat at the end; white people relative the closest to more positive, but not by any significant amount, and seeing as I grew up in a just about entirely white population that doesn't particularly surprise me.

Well, apparently I dislike Hispanic people more than any other type, and have no strong feelings for black people either. Considering the majority of crime in my area is committed by blacks and Hispanics, as well as the general stereotypes against them, and of course my general, well known dislike of Brazilians through gaming... this is no surprise to me. Really a secret to nobody that knows me.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to religion, I was surprisingly unbiased. My chart shows all four major religions listed side by side and right in the middle of the bar. I guess that means I am equally suspicious of all of them?

So took the test, showed mostly what I expected though I do wonder what the point of the part where you press I and E is. If it evaluates how many times you fuck up or whatever in a given set then I would have to question the validity of it, as I fucked up a whole lot when it seemed as if there was a sort of pattern going on and then it would change. Like, when it went I-E-I-E-I-E-I-I or something like that, it would throw me off really horribly and I would press the wrong button a lot. But yeah, my preferences were all pretty close going White/Asian/Black/Hispanic. I'm not surprised by that order at all based on my personal experiences.

I also disliked how many of the questions were worded. So many of them were so extreme or had multiple facets. I didn't really know what the fuck to answer on some of them.

Also, there was a religion rating? I didn't see that =O
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-12-11 at 06:43 AM.

Deleted
    According to the test I am biased towards Obama.

The tests are a bit annoying because they take so long that after a while I simply don't care, I ended up messing up the religion test and didn't get an answer due to the ammount of wrong answers.