Computer randomly lags

hgjgjhgjghjghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghj
    Last edited by Johnx014; 2013-01-05 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    Specs:
    Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz
    Asus LGA1155
    16GB DDR3
    Nvidia Geforce GT 620
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    1920x1080
    I play WoW on Good

I'll get random bits of lag, and I'll hear a static sounding noise in my earphones. The type of noise you hear when your computer blue screens. Any ideas?
    Well I see that you have two different issues at hand here. One more serious than the other, but possibly related.
    We'll start with what we know is wrong. Your static noise could be your motherboard or audio soundcard getting wonky. But I don't want to scare you because it COULD be just software drivers that need updating and you absolutely want to make sure you're up to date on those. Your videocard getting pushed too hard can generate artifacts and issues too. Update the videocard drivers as they may be affecting other parts of you system. But what COULD be happening (not saying it is but just throwing it out there) is your videocard......that 620 is a very weak card. It should handle good settings especially with the rest of your components but it's possible it's getting hot and causing issues. A 620 is a VERY budget card.
    And that's potentially issue number two. Your system components are all really solid items. A VERY healthy amount of ram (More than you need by far actually for gaming) and that CPU is one of the most popular current CPU's for hardcore gamers. But then you have a tiny little budget graphics card holding your system back. THAT WILL ABSOLUTELY have the chance to cause lag, even if it's not related to your static sound.

So what I would recommend, is to update all the drivers in your system you can, starting with Videocard, Audio (May be part from your mobo company if you aren't using a audiocard and are just using the built in audio on your mobo), and your motherboard drivers too.
    It could be that fixes your issue right there.
    After that, run memtest86 to check your ram. A ram chip going faulty can manytimes make your system unstable in unpredictable ways.
    Make sure all your ram sticks, videocard, audiocard(if you have one) and such are securely plugged into your motherboard just in case any have become loose over time.
    Do this and get back to us, see if that fixes your issue or not. If it doesn't, we can continue tracking it down from there.

Regardless of the issue at hand though, I highly recommend looking into another video card when you have the money for it. As I said, that 620 is severely holding your current setup back. The 3770 is a really nice CPU. You don't need to get some super card like the 680 or even the 670 (350-400+ dollars.....) although they compliment the 3770 really well, getting yourself a 660ti would work with your other system components nicely. I'd get at least a minimum of a 650, which can be had for about 200 bucks. A card like those would chew through world of warcraft even on ultra settings and you could even do some other games are respectable framerates for another 2-3 years easily.

Thanks for the lengthy response. I updated my video drivers, and ran a memtest. Memtest found nothing wrong. I'm not quite sure how to update audio drivers, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with my sound. After the last lag spree my audio got all messed up and I can't listen to anything with proper sound. Any video or song I play sounds distorted and has half the noise missing. As do any games I play.

edit: unplugging my earphones and plugging them back in seems to have restored my audio.

I'm not quite sure how to update audio drivers,
    press windows button +R> enter "dxdiag"> go to sound tab> check name of sound card> google it and get a update with newer date than what it says in dxdiag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

I updated my sound driver as well. I only get a lag spike about once a day for 20-30 minutes so I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Still getting random lag spikes about once a day. Any ideas or suggestions?

Still getting random lag spikes about once a day. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Just run prime95 on blend mode. If it crashes, replace your RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Just run prime95 on blend mode. If it crashes, replace your RAM.
    I installed and ran prime95 in blend mode for 2 hours and it found no issues.

I installed and ran prime95 in blend mode for 2 hours and it found no issues.
    2hours only? Needs atleast to be 14hours..

2hours only? Needs atleast to be 14hours..
    Let it run for 20 hours this time. 0 errors, 0 warnings.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe its something with the audio plug but i think u wont get a lag spike nor a bluescreen from that.

did u check temperatures cpu and gpu and maybe north+southbridge if ur MB supports it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flura View Post
    maybe its something with the audio plug but i think u wont get a lag spike nor a bluescreen from that.

did u check temperatures cpu and gpu and maybe north+southbridge if ur MB supports it?
    I have never actually blue screened. I just get lag spikes and hear a static noise usually associated with blue screen. My CPU, mobo, and hard drives temperature are all fine. How do I check gpu temperature? It isn't displayed in Speccy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flura View Post

Erz a bridge doesn't have a northbridge anymore or more precisely said the controllers are in the cpu.. Temperatures on the mb doesn't mean anything really..

Temperatures shouldn't be a problem tbh, it's obviously a prebuild PC and he would have said it that his pc is running very loud.

The static noise I have it sometimes as well but it's nothing to be concerned about.

@Op Where exactly are you getting random lags? Only in a game? If you really can, give us the model and brand of your PSU & wattage.

Everything lags. In game I will freeze up, any videos or streams will lag, web pages will take extended periods of time to load. The PSU is 300w not sure of the brand>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883220183

Everything lags. In game I will freeze up, any videos or streams will lag, web pages will take extended periods of time to load. The PSU is 300w not sure of the brand>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883220183
    With prime95 the motherboard/cpu/ram is working as intended but possibly you have problems with the PSU or either bad OS.

With prime95 the motherboard/cpu/ram is working as intended but possibly you have problems with the PSU or either bad OS.
    It was having issues with Windows 7 home premium and continued to have the same problems with Ultimate. I have a 600w PSU that I have been meaning to install so that I can upgrade my graphics card. I will see if that fixes it.