Quick GPU related question

Currently I have a MSI H61M-P31 for a mobo, and an i5 3470, 8 gigs of ram, and an old gt 640, would it be a total waste to put in a new graphics card for the time being? not a brand new one, but maybe a gtx 660? Reason i ask is my friends all play black ops 2 and battlefield for pc and I doubt my current card will even run those on shit settings... so maybe I could put a new card in it, then maybe over the course of the next few months just rebuild a rig around the new card?

My concern is the really small motherboard...

Sorry for not knowing anything about pc's and sounding dumb. any help is appreciated
    Last edited by Bull; 2012-12-11 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    Currently I have a MSI H61M-P31 for a mobo, and an i5 3470, 8 gigs of ram, and an old gt 640, would it be a total waste to put in a new graphics card for the time being? not a brand new one, but maybe a gtx 660? Reason i ask is my friends all play black ops 2 and battlefield for pc and I doubt my current card will even run those on shit settings... so maybe I could put a new card in it, then maybe over the course of the next few months just rebuild a rig around the new card?

My concern is the really small motherboard...

Sorry for not knowing anything about pc's and sounding dumb. any help is appreciated
    I don't think size of the motherboard has to do with it. If you have a full sized PCIe slot then you should be set, since you have a sufficient CPU. I'm going to assume you have a prebuilt computer because its not often that people pair Ivy Bridge with H61. If your computer is prebuild, you're probably going to need a new power supply.

According to benches, the 660 is a solid upgrade over the 640. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/612?vs=660 However, the 640 seems to still hold its own on BF3 Medium 1680x1050. If you reduce the graphics settings to low then it might be playable. I would try it first before dumping money on a new graphics card.

TL;DR - Your computer should be fine for the most part, try out BF3 before buying a new card. If your computer is prebuilt, you might need a new PSU when upgrading to the 660.