Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Women Died in Ireland due to arbortion law

Well this was recently.

It was shocking for me as I live in the Town, and the Hospital was known to be one of the best in Ireland.

To the case.

The women Savita Halappanavar had a miscarriage, however the baby still had a heartbeat so the doctors would not abort it. In the end the poor women died, due to circumstances.

Here is a link to the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_o...a_Halappanavar

There is lots more on the web.

What do you guys think? Should you be able to abort the child if its a threat to the mothers health?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't someone post this a couple months ago and it ended up getting locked?

Imo I say it should of been aborted if it risks the life of the mother then let her die.
    Last edited by Ave07; 2012-12-11 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

A woman should be able to have an abortion for any reason she chooses. Refusing medical treatment to save a woman's life is immoral and should be illegal in any civilized country. For that matter refusing a woman any medical treatment she and her doctor deem necessary is also immoral. Ireland's draconian treatment of women should be a source of shame for the entire country. I mean, I'd expect this out of Saudi Arabia but Ireland?? I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Didn't someone post this a couple months ago and it ended up getting locked?

Imo I say it should of been sported if it risks the life of the mother then let her die.
    I checked before i posted this :S Sorry if its double post. Just posted it as its came up in the news again this morning on my way to work.

Deleted
    Savita Halappanavar is dead, and she shouldn't be. That has to be the beginning and end of anything anyone writes about this

It's disgusting really. Saving her life was the most obvious choice. It was easy and she would have lived. Thank god it's a very rare case people die for this in "civilized" countries though.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar... says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.
    This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, "this is a Catholic country".
    The child wouldn't have survived anyway crying out loud. Infract me all you want, but this is just 1 of the cases where religion DOES affect other people, this case, death.

http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/for-savita

Savita Halappanavar is dead, and she shouldn't be. That has to be the beginning and end of anything anyone writes about this

I've been living in Dublin as a German for a long time and while I knew that Ireland was a couple of years behind to central Europe when it comes to a couple of laws and conservative views this case was quite shocking to me. The women wasn't even Irish. IMO this is embarasing case and shows Ireland that it needs to change it's church controlled views on the world like most of Europe have already. Something like this should not be happening in 2012 anymore.

Let's just hope people learn from their mistakes .

Deleted
    I heard on the radio that even though there are laws against "regular" abortion,I suppose you could call it, the law can be over ruled or whatever if the life of the mother is deemed in danger.So really I think the doctors are to blame in the case more then anyone else as they could have legally done the abortion seeing as her life was in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselol View Post
    I've been living in Dublin as a German for a long time and while I knew that Ireland was a couple of years behind to central Europe when it comes to a couple of laws and conservative views this case was quite shocking to me. The women wasn't even Irish. IMO this is embarasing case and shows Ireland that it needs to change it's church controlled views on the world like most of Europe have already. Something like this should not be happening in 2012 anymore.
    Same I am German and live in Ireland for the past 9 years. Still it sometimes shocks me. Knowing the German medical system and then you see the irish one. Not saying its bad, but its to controlled. It has to change one way or the other. There is couple of laws that are dated back to the early 1900's. We are in the 21st century...

Yeah, I remember there was a thread about this, and it outraged me then as it still does now. Even setting aside the right to abortion as a function of a woman's control over her own body, the life of the mother has to take precedence over a fetus - especially one that is already to all practical intents and purposes dead. Hypocritical pro-life nonsense doomed two lives that day when only one was certain to be lost.

It must be noted that under Irish law, Savita had a right to abortion because her life was in danger. But her doctors chose to abandon their professional responsibility and moral obligations to their patient, and forced her to endure a painful, drawn out and unnecessary death. They refused to do the right thing, either out of blind religious faith, or because they didn't think a woman's life was worth the potential legal hassle of being asked to explain why she needed the abortion.

For shame.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-11 at 12:41 PM.

Mothers life is more important this far along in a situation like this. Sad story and best reason for an abortion.

There is never ANY reason to deny a woman abortion except if it is because she herself could be put at risk because of it. It is her choice, nobody elses.

couldn't agree more.

What I don't understand is why if they are so against abortion did the doctors not take the fetus out, shove it in the NICU and try to see if it could survive. They knew she would never be able to gestate it any longer, and they could keep the guise up of trying to save the child as well as the mother. I mean, extremely premature babies had survived only a few weeks later than that. Why not push the envelope? It at least had a definite chance of saving one person and an extremely tiny chance of saving the other instead of killing both.

Moved to Comics Fury. Rereleased and updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Akutare View Post
    What I don't understand is why if they are so against abortion did the doctors not take the fetus out, shove it in the NICU and try to see if it could survive.
    It was hopeless, the fetus was as good as dead. It was physically impossible for it to survive.

From what I remember from this case wasn't the women a member of a religion that is against abortion ? A few years ago the same thin happened but the couple refused a blood transfusion because of their religion to which I won't name , hence the baby and the mother died , these cases will never be solved abortion being legalised or not.

But I agree that women did not have to die it was/is a terrible story to be witness to.

Quote Originally Posted by Extoz View Post
    From what I remember from this case wasn't the women a member of a religion that is against abortion ?
    No she wasn't, she was Hindu or something. She begged for the abortion and something to end the pain. The doctors preferred to watch her die because "Catholic country".

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    No she wasn't, she was Hindu or something. She begged for the abortion and something to end the pain. The doctors preferred to watch her die because "Catholic country".
    I heard she was an atheist, which would make it even more sad.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2012-12-11 at 03:34 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I doubt the doctors preferred that. Wasn't it a legal requirement?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I doubt the doctors preferred that. Wasn't it a legal requirement?
    It's legal if it's to save the mother's life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortio...lic_of_Ireland
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance