Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Patch 5.2 monk changes

Patch 5.2 Monk Changes
    The following changes are currently on the table for 5.2:

•Life Cocoon will be undispellable and won’t interrupt the cast at the end of the effect (and players will also be able to jump as well).
    •We’re working to resolve the issues with Renewing Mist not being able to be used while mounted, though it will dismount the caster after it is cast.
    •Soothing Mist will no longer be able to be Purged, so it will work in a manner similar to the Priest's Penance. It will still be considered a periodic Heal.

If this is really all they are going to focus on for the next patch, I will be a sad panda. These aren't game breaking changes for pve and pvp. Let's see if getting on the ptr and making comments will do any good.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Was about to post this. Glad they understand exactly where our issues lie. I was so tired of not being able to cast RM off of my mount.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there's more to come, I hope. I would like to see changes for MW mana costs. That's the only thing bugging me at the moment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by katji View Post
    I'm sure there's more to come, I hope. I would like to see changes for MW mana costs. That's the only thing bugging me at the moment.
    Yea this is my main concern too. And also, the fact that they've made fistweaving practically useless. They need to re-work our healing style somewhat if they aren't going to fix the mana cost of spells.

We killed heroic spirit kings and elegon this week, and both fights I was really really hurting for mana. I use my mana tea on cd, use a potion of focus, mana tide totem, and shadow priest hymn AND still end up going oom at the end of the fight. Our resto shaman had plenty of mana at the end of both fights, where as I was at the point where I would drink my tea, use a couple heals, go oom and wait for tea cooldown....
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Let's be clear: balance issues with the way mechanics work (such as the ones listed for 5.2) are totally separate issues from number balancing such as mana costs and healing amounts.

In 5.0 when Mistweavers had overpowered numbers or now when we're a bit on the weak side, it never ever made sense for Life Cocoon to be dispelable/stolen or Soothing Mist to be Purged off (which I didn't even know could happen). These are kind of "duh" things related to how the spec functions, not really balance changes.

Although I'm sure mana is tough at lower gear levels (I was in very solid gear by the time the nerfs went out), I feel a lot could be addressed with some decently efficient single target healing, and I DON'T mean healing spheres. I would give my left nut for Expel Harm being a targeted heal in MW spec, or even with a glyph like it was in beta. It feels like the spec has no life-saving potential without going from 80% to 25% thanks to Surging Mists.

Also Enveloping needs to cost less Chi if it's going to heal as much as it does currently. It's not worth 3, but we have very few other options for single target.
    Last edited by lebowski; 2012-12-11 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    Patch 5.2 Monk Changes
    The following changes are currently on the table for 5.2:

•Life Cocoon will be undispellable and won’t interrupt the cast at the end of the effect (and players will also be able to jump as well).
    •We’re working to resolve the issues with Renewing Mist not being able to be used while mounted, though it will dismount the caster after it is cast.
    •Soothing Mist will no longer be able to be Purged, so it will work in a manner similar to the Priest's Penance. It will still be considered a periodic Heal.

If this is really all they are going to focus on for the next patch, I will be a sad panda. These aren't game breaking changes for pve and pvp. Let's see if getting on the ptr and making comments will do any good.
    Jumping wiht life cocoon is one thing i always wanted to do. im glad they fix this....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by katji View Post
    Hope so cause the 'issue' with not being able to cast it while mounted made me laugh

I still find it hilarious that someone could purge our Soothing Mist. I know it would require a lot of coding time and I'm fine with it being avoided for now but it's a bit silly that our channeled ability doesn't update dynamically and is considered a HoT despite having to constantly check the caster to see if the cast is still going on.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I still find it hilarious that someone could purge our Soothing Mist. I know it would require a lot of coding time and I'm fine with it being avoided for now but it's a bit silly that our channeled ability doesn't update dynamically and is considered a HoT despite having to constantly check the caster to see if the cast is still going on.
    Yeah that's... uh... odd, considering I'm pretty sure Malefic Grasp can't be dispelled and it works exactly the same way Soothing Mist does.

I think the 5 stack tiger palm buff should work so each stack reduces the mana cost of surging spell and lasting an x amount duration... instead of losing it after one cast.

The "We are trying to look into buffing Disc and Mistweavers for 5.2" was NOT referring to PVE in any manner or fashion. GC was going on about on Twitter how MW and Disc were not around in arena's. So the devs got this brilliant idea of "let's just not mention the PVP part and make them think we're buffing them overall". This is Blizzard Logic we're talking about remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyse View Post
    The "We are trying to look into buffing Disc and Mistweavers for 5.2" was NOT referring to PVE in any manner or fashion.
    Just to paraphrase what I said to the last person I responded to who said this very thing: changes to a class to help them in PVP almost always effect their PVE performance. There is no "PVP action bar" option anywhere. If a skill is changed to make survivability better, then that effects PVE. If they get more burst damage/healing, that effect PVE. If they get CC-breakers that effects PVE. Ultimately, Mistweaver is in such flux that it would not be unexpected for them to have their entire priority system revamped from scratch in the next patch.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Just to paraphrase what I said to the last person I responded to who said this very thing: changes to a class to help them in PVP almost always effect their PVE performance. There is no "PVP action bar" option anywhere. If a skill is changed to make survivability better, then that effects PVE. If they get more burst damage/healing, that effect PVE. If they get CC-breakers that effects PVE. Ultimately, Mistweaver is in such flux that it would not be unexpected for them to have their entire priority system revamped from scratch in the next patch.
    Last I checked, the only one of those three changes that would even remotely affect PvE in any way is Life Cocoon not being a levitate and thus not interrupting a cast when you fall to the ground. The others are 100% PvP only unless bosses can purge now or you find yourself mounting in the middle of a fight >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Last I checked, the only one of those three changes that would even remotely affect PvE in any way is Life Cocoon not being a levitate and thus not interrupting a cast when you fall to the ground. The others are 100% PvP only unless bosses can purge now or you find yourself mounting in the middle of a fight >.>
    I'll concede to that as I wasn't thinking of the purge/dispel changes, I was thinking a bit farther ahead as honestly purging a channeled spell you just start casting against nigh-instantly doesn't really effect even PVP.
    [What's half of minor?]

10+ Year Old Account
    After doing an RBG a few minutes ago, I realized that my Chi Torpedo seems drastically slower. Has anyone else noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    The text you quoted was from a thread about Quality of life in PvP for MWs. It was in no way a comprehensive list of ideas Blizzard has for monks in 5.2. It was simply a quick look at some Quality of Life changes they are considering for PvP. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    After doing an RBG a few minutes ago, I realized that my Chi Torpedo seems drastically slower. Has anyone else noticed this?
    From what I understand Roll and it's various buffed version is effected by your travel speed. So if you hit the / key to walk you roll slower, same deal if you're slowed. So chances are you were just slowed in the RBG. How's your speed outside of it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    I think the 5 stack tiger palm buff should work so each stack reduces the mana cost of surging spell and lasting an x amount duration... instead of losing it after one cast.
    that would be a great idea
    13/13

Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see Shuffle's duration increased, if only slightly. Maybe 7-8 seconds. As it is, spending Chi on something other than blackout kick can start a dangerous snowball. At least that's the way I've felt about it.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.