Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Same-sex marriages to be made illegal in Church of England and Wales.

"The Church of England and Church in Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, the government announces."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20680924

So I saw this just now and I think it's pretty lame.

I'm not sure if this will end up with too much religion in the thread which is of course to be avoided to adhere to the forum rules, but it will be interesting to hear peoples opinions on it.

To me it just seems like a step backwards. Especially with females being excluded from bishop positions recently as well.
    Last edited by Palmatum; 2012-12-11 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added link.

The thread title is incredibly misleading. Same-sex marriages for the CoE and Catholic churches are currently illegal and will continue to be. The new law allows any religious group that wants to perform them the ability to perform them, as well as opening civil marriages to same sex couples.

So in fact, the article is a positive one, as early next year the UK government will begin putting this legislation into practice, while maintaining religious freedoms. I only feel sorry for Catholic and Christian same sex couples, but they now need to take the fight directly to their church.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    I thinks it is beyond awesome! Those who want to live the homosexual lifestyle and take themselves out of the genepool already have legal rights in partnerships. they need no more rights when it comes to partnerships. This is a step forwards, with the opt in for other sects and religions, who will most likely not opt in thankfully. IF Homosexual men or women want to get married in a church they should marry somebody of the opposite sex, there are plenty of other places to get married to other homosexuals like castles, registry offices and more. Last thing, all thats needed for gays is civil partnerships.
    Last edited by Khraine; 2012-12-11 at 04:13 PM.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Title is broken. It's not made illegal, the government just caved in and allowed them to continue being anti-marriage equality bigots. Still, a victory all round in general.

Deleted
    Indeed, this is a church issue, not a legal one. The CofE has expressly stated it is against gay marriage, so if they want their ignorance enshrined in law they are welcome to it.

It's mainly to appease religious backbenchers so they don't have to be whipped as much to vote in favour of it.

I am a bit dubious about the fact that the law will explicitly state the CofE can't do it even if a miracle, pun intended, happens and the general synod are replaced by people with opinions from this century, it would mean the law would have to be amended by parliament for them to then conduct same-sex marriages. Which would be a waste of everyone's time and money. I am surprised it is needed to be explicitly stated as the preventative measures from lawsuits are pretty ironclad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems fine to me, the church has the right to deny marriages within it's institution, but not outside.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit surprised QE2 is going along with this.

Edit: After reading the second post, I should say I'm a bit surprised QE2 hasn't decided to allow same sex marriages in the Anglican Church already.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm a bit surprised QE2 is going along with this.

Edit: After reading the second post, I should say I'm a bit surprised QE2 hasn't decided to allow same sex marriages in the Anglican Church already.
    Nothing to do with her, she is a figurehead only.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    I thinks it is beyond awesome! Those who want to live the homosexual lifestyle and take themselves out of the genepool already have legal rights in partnerships. they need no more rights when it comes to partnerships. This is a step forwards, with the opt in for other sects and religions, who will most likely not opt in thankfully. IF fruits want to get married in a church they should marry somebody of the opposite sex, there are plenty of other places to get married to other fruits like castles, registry offices and more. Last thing, all thats needed for fruits is civil partnerships.

Hmm smell of extreme Homophobia off this. Uncomfortable with your sexuality much??
    Last edited by mmocd00a376cb3; 2012-12-11 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling is hard yo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Nothing to do with her, she is a figurehead only.
    Does the head of the Anglican Church not have any authority over church practice? Even as a figurehead, just speaking her mind about it could enact some considerable change. But I know she doesn't like to put her nose into politics in any kind of public way.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the head of the Anglican Church not have any authority over church practice?
    Nope. She's the Supreme Governor of the church in much the same way she's the head of state of the country. She gives Royal Assent to canons and measures of the General Synod. Theoretically, she can deny assent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerath View Post
    Hmm smell of extreme Homophobia off this. Uncomfortable with your sexuality much??
    nah i'm quite comfortable thanks, i call my dad and his friends what ever they want to be called because they are 'gay'. I'm not happy with the push for gay marriage when there is already legal representation, if their wish for marriage goes against a certain religion, that religion has every right to not be forced by the state to have same sex marriages even if it is a state religion. And yes being homosexual is a lifestyle choice, i don't believe that its genetic. Calling somebody homophobic who lives around and is related to gays is insulting.

Stop calling people fruits on this forum, it is an insulting term.
    oh crap, damn my dad and his friends, damn them. i'll edit posts.
    Last edited by Khraine; 2012-12-11 at 04:12 PM.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    Does the head of the Anglican Church not have any authority over church practice? Even as a figurehead, just speaking her mind about it could enact some considerable change. But I know she doesn't like to put her nose into politics in any kind of public way.
    She stays out of all politics, whatever she says will piss off at least one group, by staying silent she keeps all groups happy with her.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 04:09 PM ----------

nah i'm quite comfortable thanks, i call my dad and his friends 'fruits' because they are 'fruits'. I'm not happy with the push for gay marriage when there is already legal representation, if their wish for marriage goes against a certain religion, that religion has every right to not be forced by the state to have same sex marriages even if it is a state religion. And yes being homosexual is a lifestyle choice, i don't believe that its genetic. Calling somebody homophobic who lives round mixes and is related to fruits is insulting.
    Stop calling people fruits on this forum, it is an insulting term.

Deleted
    nah i'm quite comfortable thanks, i call my dad and his friends 'fruits' because they are 'fruits'. I'm not happy with the push for gay marriage when there is already legal representation, if their wish for marriage goes against a certain religion, that religion has every right to not be forced by the state to have same sex marriages even if it is a state religion. And yes being homosexual is a lifestyle choice, i don't believe that its genetic. Calling somebody homophobic who lives round mixes and is related to fruits is insulting.
    I wish it was a choice, would make my life easier lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerath View Post
    I wouldn't call it homophobia. That would suggest it's a fear. It's just bigotry.
    nah i'm quite comfortable thanks, i call my dad and his friends 'fruits' because they are 'fruits'. I'm not happy with the push for gay marriage when there is already legal representation, if their wish for marriage goes against a certain religion, that religion has every right to not be forced by the state to have same sex marriages even if it is a state religion. And yes being homosexual is a lifestyle choice, i don't believe that its genetic. Calling somebody homophobic who lives around and is related to fruits is insulting.
    The "well I have gay friends!" argument doesn't hold much water.

Also, I have a proposition for you: try to be gay. Doesn't have to be for a long period of time. Then, go look up something that a gay person would be attracted to. If you aren't attracted to it, either you aren't trying hard enough, or you can't choose to be gay.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-12-11 at 04:12 PM.

Deleted
    Gay threads and everything around that sure are populair on MMO-C these days!

why would homosexuals even want to get married in a church? isn't the bible against homosexuality?

Deleted
    nah i'm quite comfortable thanks, i call my dad and his friends 'fruits' because they are 'fruits'. I'm not happy with the push for gay marriage when there is already legal representation, if their wish for marriage goes against a certain religion, that religion has every right to not be forced by the state to have same sex marriages even if it is a state religion. And yes being homosexual is a lifestyle choice, i don't believe that its genetic. Calling somebody homophobic who lives around and is related to fruits is insulting.

Indeed it is genetic. To suggest that someone can all of a sudden decide to be attracted to the opposite sex is laughable and shows up your thinly veiled attempt at bigotry for what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    why would homosexuals even want to get married in a church? isn't the bible against homosexuality?
    The Bible is against a great many things that people do. Should probably go around slapping shellfish out of the hands of Christians.