Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    It may differ from institution to institution, but a community college is a perfect place for that. I can't see why anyone would do that at a university, but a CC is cheap enough to justify academic exploration.
    Depending on the CC, but then you could be limiting your potential for University admittance or losing a lot of time if you go that route. Where I work we only accept credits from our sister school and one other community college because the level of education is usually so low and pathetic. If you're just shooting for a public/state school though, CC is fine I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by brickerz View Post
    Depending on the CC, but then you could be limiting your potential for University admittance or losing a lot of time if you go that route. Where I work we only accept credits from our sister school and one other community college because the level of education is usually so low and pathetic. If you're just shooting for a public/state school though, CC is fine I guess.
    Yeah, there's still a fat it depends on that. I know that at least in California schools are wary of certain students. They generally expect you to be on progress to having 45 units completed at the time of application and 60 units completed at the time of enrollment (assuming a student who gets in). If someone has 60 units completed at the time of application they may think twice at the public level - although that could be due more to budget cuts than the desire to be more selective.

I would just think it's not a bad route, especially if all the classes are GE's for some major, but at least one of them moves you forward toward your major (such as a Bio major needing chemistry, history, etc).

Amurica, where universal healthcare and free education is considered communism.

Sorry

Oh my education in the US was "free", because I worked my butt off for it. Starting in highschool I knew what I wanted to do. So I started applying for every type of scholarship I could get my hands on. By the end of highschool I probably applied for over 50+ scholarships. That paid for my first two years of college. During the summers of those first two years I interviewed with a variety of different companies I thought I might work at and was able to land internships with those companies. Hell one of those internships I was a ruffneck. From those internships plus some extra scholarship moneyI was able to pay for the last two years of college. Also from the internships I was hired back to the company for a full time job.
    Last edited by NyghtBlind; 2012-12-12 at 06:00 PM.

Deleted
    I'm doing a history degree in the UK atm, 2nd year. Currently volunteering and gaining experience and will be applying to med school in Scotland for my 2nd degree next year. I'm eligible for Scottish tuition fees so I'll only have so self fund around £2000 a year for my first 4 years.

I didn't really know what I wanted to do after school so I picked something I was good at. I don't regret it, it has so far allowed me to grow as a person and find out what I want out of life. I couldn't have applied to med school straight out of school due to not having the necessary chemistry qualifications so my current degree will serve as a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by NyghtBlind View Post
    Oh my education in the US was "free", because I worked my butt off for it. Starting in highschool I knew what I wanted to do. So I started applying for every type of scholarship I could get my hands on. By the end of highschool I probably applied for over 50+ scholarships. That paid for my first two years of college. During the summers of those first two years I interviewed with a variety of different companies I thought I might work at and was able to land internships with those companies. Hell one of those internships I was a ruffneck. From those internships plus some extra scholarship moneyI was able to pay for the last two years of college. Also from the internships I was hired back to the company for a full time job.
    This is the proper way to do it. Though zociety today will find anyway to get kids to go to college. Government loans are scary yet everyone thinks they need college so they take them. Then they go through and pick a degree they like not worth what they paid or without job prospects

I commend you for what you did but its to easy now to get loans so more kids do it without thinking about it.