Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

January is Gank Lowbies Month!

Reposting this here for greater visibility:

Let's celebrate the New Year properly by taking the time to spend at least an hour a day in January flying around low level zones, ganking lowbies on our mains!

World pvp has made a comeback, and with it, several issues which had been dormant during Cataclysm. One of these issues is low level ganking, which puts players trying to level their characters into situations where they simply have no chance of winning.

Hold up, before you start trolling/flaming me, hear me out! I enjoy playing on a pvp server just as much as anyone, and I welcome the challenge that wpvp brings while leveling a toon. That is to say, I enjoy the thrill of questing on a level 23 horde character (as an example) out in STV, and running into a level 23 Alliance character also doing their quests. May the best player win!

However, I am much more likely to get sneezed on and die by some random level 90 passing by, than I am at ever being able to engage players of my own level. Even if I somehow were to successfully engage some other guy my level, and either win or lose the fight, I still run the high chance of a level 90 coming to find me and camp me until they get bored or I log.

This is a problem which has existed since the very first day of Wow, and no sufficient technology existed back then by which to allow high and low level characters to inhabit the same space without someone getting ganked and camped.

I can hear your reasoned responses being formulated now, before you've even posted them: 'But Baeloro, if you are getting camped by a high level player, why don't you just get your high level friends to come and help you? Or better yet, why don't you just log onto your own high level character and fight back?'

The answer to this is simple: because that would halt the progress being made on my low level character. At anytime of the day, I can get a group of level 90s together and go hunting for other level 90s who are ganking lowbies. It's not hard, it can be fun sometimes, and some of the best pvp has happened in this way.

However, if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't be logging onto my low level characters so I could level them. It's about choices, and as a player choosing to level a character, I should only ever have to worry about dying to players my own level.

My proposed solutions:

1. CRZ phasing option - Give players a toggle in their UI settings which would keep them phased from people on other realms. Especially since the implementation of CRZ, there has just been a huge increase in the number of players present in each zone. While this solution would only prevent ganking from high level players on other realms, it would also serve to give those players who are against CRZ an option out of it.

2. Pvp brackets phasing option - Implement phasing for players according to the level brackets found in BGs. In Vanilla, ganking and wpvp was bad, especially for anyone trying to quest in Hillsbrad Foothills. TM vs SS was prime ganking grounds in addition to insane wpvp between players waiting for AV queues. This solution would partially solve the CRZ problem some people have by making sure the only people from other realms you see, are of your own level, but it would definitely solve the ganking problem.

I think a combination of these two options would be the best solution, but it's understandable if only one of them is feasible/desirable. So with these proposals, I am also suggesting we institute Gank Lowbies January as a way to bring these problems to Blizzard's attention.

If we get enough players out there in full force, ganking anything that moves, while calling a cross faction truce (no 90 vs 90 combat, only lowbie ganking), maybe we can force Blizzard to come up with a solution.

With that, Let's make Gank Lowbie January the best that it can be!!

Happy Holidays,
    Baeloro of the Alliance
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...75?page=17#330

Deleted
    The ganking lowbies is a all-year event.

Why on earth only january?

That would suck.

Its a pvp realm you have to deal with it, harden the f**k up.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread's naming is atrocious, but the idea is kinda cool, for the greater good.

"Low Level Ganking Awareness" might have been a better title, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    This thread's naming is atrocious, but the idea is kinda cool, for the greater good.

"Low Level Ganking Awareness" might have been a better title, tho.
    The taste of lowbies' salty, salty tears is nearly palpable already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post

That would suck.
    Its like a benefit concert or flash mob. If its a sudden change, then it raises awareness to the issue.

I very much like the intention of OP. However I think january isn't a good time for this since people do not play much in january. You're much better off doing this stuff in the last week of december.

I also find OP's phasing option very good: it means low levels don't compete with high levels on resources such as quest mobs, herbs, ores, rares. What fun is it to see that rare on your low level character and feeling up for the challenge, and then a high level comes to faceroll it just to get a 10% chance for the rare drop? It is the same for the other resources. This is regardless of PvP or PvE. If you want to merge players together because you assume they want to play together, fine, but if you put a group of tough guys together with a bunch of weaklings it is always the weaklings who are getting beat up. Instead, put the weaklings together and let them play together as well as compete. Like you have a ladder system in competitive e-sports.

Deleted
    Ganking lowbies is, and always will be, something for bad players to do to make themselves feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarglord69 View Post
    Its a pvp realm you have to deal with it, harden the f**k up.
    We got a baddass over here.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Ganking lowbies is, and always will be, something for bad players to do to make themselves feel better.

We got a baddass over here.
    This. So much this.

I think it's quite a well written OP actually and highlights something I'd like them to address. I know they want the game to be "brutal" etc but technology has changed and it does give people a different experience from a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by eroginous View Post
    reposting this here for greater visibility:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7393489459#1
    roooooaaaaarrrrr!!! January is gonna rule!

Deleted
    Oh dear god.. Better get level 90 on my PVP hunter before January

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post

That would suck.
    Its like saying today is the day idiots are allowed to post on the forums.
    When the truth is they can post every day.

Its meant to be a witty way of getting his point across.

Deleted
    Oh, so January just became "don't level your alts" month. Cool.

Dumb idea, and all who are going to execute it arent much better in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally I'd completely agree with such actions to encourage W-PvP.
    But since Christmas would've just occurred there would be a lot of new people playing WoW and I am sure the last thing they want (even on a PvP realm) is for their first few steps and experiences in their new game to be ruined by somebody corpse camping them.

Don't play on a PvP realm if you are gonna cry about getting ganked.....

10+ Year Old Account
    every day is gank lowbies day

what's wrong with you people

January is level alts only using LFG while sitting in main city month now.
    Hi Sephurik

The two solutions suggested fly in the face of a stated goal of an MMO: community. Not separation, not phasing; community. Everyone playing the game together. That's why there have been so many changes made to MoP to prevent what happened during Cataclysm.

Blizzard want you out in the world, interacting with each other. Yes, those interactions include high level characters killing low level ones. That's part of the game and is entirely intentional. There is nothing that needs addressing here.

Either you make sure your level 90 main is always near your alt for a quick relog, or you level with friends, or you just don't play on a PvP server at all. The last one is what I do, works pretty well I find.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    The two solutions suggested fly in the face of a stated goal of an MMO: community. Not separation, not phasing; community. Everyone playing the game together. That's why there have been so many changes made to MoP to prevent what happened during Cataclysm.

Blizzard want you out in the world, interacting with each other. Yes, those interactions include high level characters killing low level ones. That's part of the game and is entirely intentional. There is nothing that needs addressing here.

Either you make sure your level 90 main is always near your alt for a quick relog, or you level with friends, or you just don't play on a PvP server at all. The last one is what I do, works pretty well I find.
    And if you got neither you are just screwed I guess? But yes I agree its the community and not the game when people find thrills in things like this. Which btw could be "fixed" partially by phasing betweeen levels or similar, but if they wanted people more into the world maybe not make all quests within each damn zone either, but have people move about to different locations. Would also mean the people you meet are possibly not just there cause they can't do proper pvp.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

January is Gank Lowbies Month!
    Umm, why do you have to restrict to January? You can go to Dark Portal or HFP right now and more than meet your need of ganking 24/7.