Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Post Multicultural friends

How multicultural is your friend " zone"? Do you rather hang out with people from your own culture or do you get along with pretty much anyone regardless of their background?
    I myself have friends from diffrent cultures, i personally don't care much where someone is from, but i do understand why some people do not!
    Not from a racial point of view ofcourse but as people from diffrent cultures can behave diffrent it might not be something you're used to or are looking for!
    So are you the kind of guy/girl that hangs out with blacks whites and asians?
    Or are you the person that rather hangs out with people from your own background/culture because you have much more in common.
    The person that doesen't really care or the one that simply can't because of the place where you live?

I'm curious

I hope this won't end up going towards the wrong direction as that wasn't really where i was going with this

I rather not hang out with people.

Though I do have an instinctive 'like' for people of my own culture/hometown, its more of a warmer first impression. When it comes to actual friends I don't particularly like or dislike hanging out with people from any culture, as long as communication is possible.

Deleted
    Most of my friends are either finnish/half-finnish with one swedish parent and one finnish, swedish or from an eastern european state/baltic states. Then there's a few that are from middle-east but I can't say I approve of a big majority of those coming from the middle-eastern countries. There's a few good in a mass of bad people there from my experience rather than a few bad in a mass of good people.

Deleted
    I've made my friends years and years ago, and those are the people who I hang out with. Whether I could've made multicultural friends or not, I'm not sure. Depends on the culture, of course. I would never have been friends with people from overly religious cultures, or cultures with oppression toward any kind of people, be they men, women, children, straight, gay, or otherwise. Skin color, nationality and such would've not made a difference.

As it stands, my friends are pretty much quite like me.

I exclusively hang out with people of Germanic origin. I want nothing to do with people of other races.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'm friends with people from quite a wide variety of cultures. I'm living in a foreign country for a start, and the city where I live has a large expat community. Plus my colleagues are from a lot of different countries. I like it - it's quite interesting to hear about how other people grew up, their traditions and what have you, and see how they differ from my own experiences.
    I will say though, it is nice to still have friends from my own background and culture too.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I rather not hang out with people.
    This sums it up for me.

However i will get along with almost everyone whatever culture they come from.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
    I want nothing to do with people of other races.
    Does this also count for when you're playing online games? i see you're playng WoW and its kind of hard to avoid people from other races. While you're not hanging out with them you're still interacting or doesen't that bother you?

Deleted
    I don't really mind, as long as they have the same mindset. I can't understand how some people judge others about their race.

Cultural background never figures into friendship for me. I like who I like, simple as that. I don't go out of my way to be friends with anyone nor do I go out of my way to avoid types of people. That's a pretty convoluted way of saying that if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
    I exclusively hang out with people of Germanic origin. I want nothing to do with people of other races.
    LOL

I personally do not care about people's origin or culture, people are people .. With that said, I mostly have ethnic danish friends, mainly because there isn't that many immigrants in the part of the country I'm from

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care who I hang out with as long as they're cool.

Deleted
    I'm hoping this can stay civil, as it would be interesting to see what kind of constructive answers people give. Just to see the kind of mix of friends game-forum visitors (I'd argue typically introverts) have.

I'm a pasty Brit myself and half of my closest friends are actually American (lived near Menwith Hill, so there were a lot of Americans at the schools I went to), with two being full U.S. citizens and one being half-American (with an English ex-pat mum, so technically he's a full U.S. citizen too!). Then, I have close friends who are girls ((one Jewish) I make the distinction because I know several people who incidentally aren't platonically close with members of the opposite sex), black, Chinese and Filipino friends, among other 'minorities' (at least, in the UK), including one drunken Bosnian Muslim (borderline lapsed really) friend. No close gay friends, but plenty of acquaintances.

I think a lot of how diverse one's social clique is, in the UK, depends on whether you live and/or go to school in urban areas, especially big inner-cities.

Well, I don't have any close friends from other cultures, but it's not like I made a concious decision to exclude some group. It's just that there hasn't been many people from other culture's that I grew up with like I did with my other friends. Sure, there are aqcuintances from other cultures, and they can be just as nice or annnoying as anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friends are pretty much exclusively white swedish-speaking finns. I've got some acquaintances that are finnish-speaking finns, dutch, british and swedish. They're all white/caucasian (whatever you wanna call it) as well. I'm just drawn to people with similar taste, culture and morals. I don't mind asians (had some vietnamese friends when I was younger), but I'll openly admit that I'm prejudiced against middle-easterns/arabs and blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvelisse View Post
    Does this also count for when you're playing online games? i see you're playng WoW and its kind of hard to avoid people from other races. While you're not hanging out with them you're still interacting or doesen't that bother you?
    It's just like how it works in real life. Unless I choose to never go outside of my house, I'm forced to be among people of other races whether I like it or not. I just have to suck it up because I'm not going to let it affect my life. I just don't have have to be friends with them.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Most of my friends are "white" ala UK heritage etc (I'm of scottish/english heritage), not by choice just how things worked out. Although I do have a healthy share of aboriginal/torres straight islander friends, a few mediterranean friends and a few asian friends.

I racist in my own ways but I'd never dislike someone straight up simply on their racial background.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like people from different cultures. They interest me because I get to ask them questions that I always wanted to know. Like since different countries drive on the left side of the road do they get to turn left on red? Just stupid things that no one else cares about.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never really bothered me, always had friends from lots of varying cultures.
    I don't really hang out with people IRL much any more though. Haven't for a while. On MMO-C I love talking to people of varying cultures, because it's always interesting finding out all the little differences. like today I found out shift+4 on a keyboard in denmark is ¤ which isn't really a cultural difference since neither of the Danish people I was talking to actually knew what it was, but it's still interesting.

(The currency symbol for Euro is attached to their E, it's E+cntl and alt or E+Alt depending on keyboard I guess)

Deleted
    These days just about everyone I hang out with is white.

I've never really had any close friends from non-western cultures. Sure, I've gone to school with people from all over the world and I've partied and hung out with all sorts of people but like most people I'm mostly surrounded by others who are somewhat similar to me.

It's not a racism thing, or a phobia for that matter. I just don't see the point in hanging out with people who I have nothing in common with (and if I do have a lot in common with someone then they're not really from another culture, are they?)