Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Then why can't jazz be jazz, instead of umbrella'd by being called black music?
    If you want to get on his case for being vague, that's fine, but what he said wasn't racist in any way.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Then why can't jazz be jazz, instead of umbrella'd by being called black music?
    Who cares? Call it Jazz if you want, like it matters. The only person who thinks it's a negative to refer to something as "Black" is you it seems...so who's being racist?
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-12-12 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    "Isn't usually a good thing' != "racist." Sorry, but I don't think recognising the historical influence of a particular group of people (whether national, cultural or racial) on something is not at all the same thing.
    segregation based on race is racism though like its the definition of racism.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not segregation. No one is keeping anyone from making "black" music, not anyone from listening to it. It's recognizing the cultural origins of the music and giving that culture credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's not segregation. No one is keeping anyone from making "black" music, not anyone from listening to it. It's recognizing the cultural origins of the music and giving that culture credit.
    except the term black is a racial term not a cultural term.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, correct, but irrelevant?

Pointing out Jazz came out of black communities is not segregation. It's historically accurate and is, in fact, a source of cultural pride among the relevant black communities.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

No, if I called it "Jiggaboo Music" that would be racist.

note for mods: please note context! If not, cya in 2 weeks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by speedymonkey View Post
    Germanic doesn't exclusively mean Germans btw.
    Oh right covers immigrating to Germany as well?
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    It's both in the US.

When I was young and in school - my friends varied to evry creed color race religon you could think of. Sadly in my more adult years all of my friends are my race now, or I don't even know what they are because I know them through an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ethnically, I chill with all kinds of peeps. Hawaiian, Irish, Filipino, German, Mexican and Black peoples. You have the variety here in Cali. Culturally, I'm the same way. One of my friends that I've known since the early 80s, is a straight up cowboy, (I'm a metalhead Mexican). Another one of my best friends is straight up form Hawaii. Shout out to Pidgeon Talk! My brotha from anotha motha, is an inspiring hip-hop artist/poet.

In university and have friends of all different colours and cultures, I like having such a variety of people in my social group makes things a lot more interesting in my opinion.

Deleted
    I live in West London, growing up in such a diverse area I don't even notice it, in my inner circle is 3 White, 2 South Asian, 1 East Asian and 1 Black, all born in the UK except for 1 who migrated from Poland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Oh right covers immigrating to Germany as well?
    Scandinavians are seen as Germanic people as well, I believe.

Deleted
    Most of my friends are white Swedes. I'm a minority myself, but I'm simply not close to a lot of multiculturals. Not by choice, it just sorta happened (or didn't happen as it were).

10+ Year Old Account
    As is the case for most people, I become friends with people whom I regularly meet, such as through school or work. Sweden is very much a multicultural country, but first & second generation immigrants are unevenly divided between urban and rural areas; you will find most minority cultures in urban areas. I come from a rural area, thus, most of my childhood friends are white and of a typically Swedish culture.

Now at University, in an urban area, I meet more people of different cultures and as I gradually become friends with many of them, you could say that my "cultural network of friends" is expanding.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Pretty much all of my real life friends are white because that's simply the way my country is; racially and ethnically homogenous. I wouldn't mind hanging out with people of other races or ethnicities though. On the contrary. A bit of change would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    All my friends are white. I had other friends that were black and hispanic before when I was in school but they weren't the "real" friends. So now all my "real" friends are white. I usually get along with Whites and Asians a lot more than any other race. I don't have anything against blacks (except for the lowlife "yo yo gangsta" types) it's just most black people I have made friends with didn't really have the same interests as I did so we never really talked much. As for the whites and Asians I've met, it seemed like they had more similar interests than other people I've met. As for cultures, I could care less. I would actually prefer friends of different cultures, that way I can learn more about them.

I wish I had more Asian friends.....
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    I get along with anyone whose interests and ideals are similar to mine but I admit that I have a preference for fellow european union citizens.

I have friends from almost every major cultural group (Central Asia, Chinese (Hong Kong variety), Japanese, American, Western European, Eastern European, African). The only one group I do not have represented among my friends is American Black, and I am not in any particular hurry to add anyone from it on my friend list.