Wind Lord Advice

So we finally got past Garalon and started progression on Wind Lord. We only got 3 pulls in last night before raid ended but got him to 29% before the enrage timer went off. Seems like a pretty easy fight but we need to try and squeeze a little more DPS out and manage the adds better. This is how we are currently CC'n the adds, peoples jobs and how many heals/tanks/dps we have. If anyone can see a way to improve what we are doing please feel free to share. We are thinking about letting all 3 Battle Menders be up to reduce the number of Amber Trappers cause we have 3 Melee that can interrupt. But not sure if that would make for too much dispelling. Thanks!

1 Tank - Blood DK
    3 Heals - Disc Priest, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman
    2 Melee - Fury Warrior, Combat Rogue
    4 Ranged - Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman, Fire Mage, Affliction Warlock

CC'd Adds
    1 Battle Mender, 1 Blade Master, 1 Amber Trapper

Jobs
    Blood DK - Tank everything and interrupt 1 Battle Mender
    Fury Warrior, Combat Rogue - Interrupt 1 Battle Mender
    S.Priest, A.War, E.Shaman - Keep adds CC'd

Quote Originally Posted by Sflame View Post
    So we finally got past Garalon and started progression on Wind Lord. We only got 3 pulls in last night before raid ended but got him to 29% before the enrage timer went off. Seems like a pretty easy fight but we need to try and squeeze a little more DPS out and manage the adds better. This is how we are currently CC'n the adds, peoples jobs and how many heals/tanks/dps we have. If anyone can see a way to improve what we are doing please feel free to share. We are thinking about letting all 3 Battle Menders be up to reduce the number of Amber Trappers cause we have 3 Melee that can interrupt. But not sure if that would make for too much dispelling. Thanks!

1 Tank - Blood DK
    3 Heals - Disc Priest, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman
    2 Melee - Fury Warrior, Combat Rogue
    4 Ranged - Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman, Fire Mage, Affliction Warlock

CC'd Adds
    1 Battle Mender, 1 Blade Master, 1 Amber Trapper

Jobs
    Blood DK - Tank everything and interrupt 1 Battle Mender
    Fury Warrior, Combat Rogue - Interrupt 1 Battle Mender
    S.Priest, A.War, E.Shaman - Keep adds CC'd
    I've not done this fight on normal but why don't you have your healers CC the adds using the spear? I do it as resto in LFR. I'd say the 2ish second cast time on adds for 3 DPS fairly consistently lowers your DPS by a decent bit.

Well, yeah one way to do it is to CC 3 amber trappers, it makes it easy to deal with the others when you arent having break traps and kite resin. The way you handle the battlemenders is like you said, mark them and assign 3 people to them to interrupt. With 2 priest you can mass dispel 2 waves of quickening other than that do individual purges, I was arcane on ours and didnt find it much of a burden to spell steal. (Blood DK with Icy touch glyph dispel, Purge, Spellsteal). As for the blade masters, The thing they do is called Kor'thik strike, they target you with a debuff called "Kor'thik Strike" then after abour 3 or 4 seconds they do the attack, so you have time to Ice Block or use some type of CD to negate it (it doesnt happen too often)

Basically it comes down to having 3 people assigned to CC like you have, 3 people assigned to interrupts like you have, then people assigned to dispelling. Mass dispel and indivdual ones in between.

EDIT: Sorry just realized this was normal mode hehe.

The way we did this one on normal was to CC 2 Battle Menders, 1 Blade Master and 1 amber trapper. Only having 2 amber trappers up makes it sufficient to have everyone break someone out of Amber prisons (also mages can blink out of theirs.) without having everyone with the debuff. Having 2 blademasters makes it so that you never get one shot. 1 Battlemender makes it easy to just focus it down, with minimal Interrupts and Dispels. Focus down the Battlemender first, keep the amber trapper CC'd the entire time. Then Kill the Blademasters, and finish with amber trappers. The first strat i posted was a useable heroic strategy, you can use that one if you want too, if you want to avoid any amber trappers. It would take a bit more coordination but seeing as you start with 4 CCs just add in a CC on a Battlemender. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Zanaku; 2012-12-12 at 04:19 PM.

Deleted
    Trap two battle menders, one blade master and one trapper.

This way, you'll never run out of people to break open traps, you'll never have a person instantly one-shotted by 3 charging blade masters and you will only need to keep an eye on interrupting one battle mender.

Make absolutely certain that when cleaving the adds down, the battle mender dies slightly before the other two sets of adds... This is because once you kill one set of adds, the number of targets the boss permits you to keep CC'd reduces.

If you have two battle menders CC'd initially, but kill off the battle menders first, there will only be two remaining adds in CC and so the boss will not break them free, allowing you to just continue cleaving down the last two sets of adds.

Deleted
    How long is it taking you do get the adds down, and are your DPS taking AoE talents/spec? One heal getting off adds a significant amount of time to get the adds down and start on the boss properly. Having the ambertrappers up shouldn't be a big deal if you position yourselves fairly close to each other.

Would need to see logs to offer advice, my group is going to drop to 1 tank/2 heal as we are just a bit short dps. We are popping hero at the start to get adds down faster and the adds die with 3:30ish left on zerk then if everyone could stay out of whirling blade you are fine. otherwise one death sucks, 2 cost us a kill last night.

You have pretty much the ideal combo with a smite priest who can easily add 30k dps and 2 mass dispels you should be laughing. We personally cc 2 trappers to reduce running around freeing people but thats a personal choice.

make sure your interrupters have the interrupt now thing checked off in DBM, as other people said one miss sets you back.

Seems odd that you die to enrage on this and you only have 3 adds cc'd. Are you dead certain no menders got heals off? The heals are 25% of the adds health so its pretty huge. If I had to guess I'd say when people were amber trapped interupts got missed. This is the reason we cc 4 adds in total. Pick 2 trappers or menders but you gain little and risk a lot by having 2 of everything up imo, especially on progression.

In phase 2 I asked our disc priest to smite a lot. It has a double benefit, the boss takes 99% more damage and a priests smite heals are based on damage dealt. Win x2!

FYI, you disc priest can spirit shell every rain of blades. If he does that properly it pretty much negates almost all the damage from it.
    On last phase, rotate healing cds for everyone and have ur healers not poping a CD to help out hard on heal as well (it hurts a lot on last phase). I'd start with tranq on first, healing tide on second, etc. Your disc priest should still be able to spirit shell every one to help out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post
    FYI, you disc priest can spirit shell every rain of blades. If he does that properly it pretty much negates almost all the damage from it.
    On last phase, rotate healing cds for everyone and have ur healers not poping a CD to help out hard on heal as well (it hurts a lot on last phase). I'd start with tranq on first, healing tide on second, etc. Your disc priest should still be able to spirit shell every one to help out.
    I've seen logs of rain being less than 60 seconds apart, so you shouldn't count on that. If you are talking about heroic (because you only cc 3 adds?) the rain during recklessness is trivial with your shadowpriests VE. It easily outheals the 480k/6s from the rain.

Why are you only cc'ing 3 adds? CC four, we do two of the menders and of each of the other two, as you do. Yeah, you're going to get quite a few people trapped throughout p1 but it's easily dealt with through good communication and making sure you don't trap someone else in with you if you are too close. The extra damage you may do to an extra add is simply not worth not having a fourth add CC'd. Control is much more important in this fight then killing everything quickly as possible. Garalon is a dps check, this one is not so much.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the CC glaive things it gives you when possible, many classes have similar/superior CC that is already keybound so they don't have to deal with the extra action button and the long cast time bullshit of the glaive.

We also did this with only 2 heals...if people do what they are supposed to the healing is easily combated in p2 with good usage of cooldowns during rain of blades...in fact people not doing what they are supposed to like getting hit by whirling blade or standing in the wind bombs usually means instant death for that person or the whole raid anyways so a third healer wouldn't matter...so yeah, don't do that. Aside from your tanks taking more damage, the only time where healing should be intense is during that ability in p2. It makes the fight go by a little quicker/smoother, but it's definitely doable with 3 heals as well, you just need to not have any heals go out by the menders in p1 in particular, that can easily cause a wipe due to enrage, especially when just learning the encounter.

It's one of the easier fights in the instance, if you can get past Garalon then this one is fairly easy. Just keep the fight controlled right and you really don't even need to worry about the enrage timer, Garalon is much much tighter.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-12-12 at 06:49 PM.

Don't trap 3 amber trappers; if you do, you'll either have to have 3 blade masters up (good chance for death from their strike) or have 4 CC's out and waste time and thought into CCing the two targets when he frees the remaining CC's when the first set of adds die.

Don't let all 3 battle menders up unless you have a mass dispel and have 100% confidence in your interrupters.

Other than I don't really have any suggestions for you You might just be short on dps. For what it's worth, 29% isn't as far off as it might seem since his health stays high for most of the fight.

If you're CC'ing all 3 of one type, when are you dps'ing them? You're going to get them from 100 to 0 after you've killed both of the other types of adds and the boss has two sets of the damage buff? You give up all your AoE and cleave damage on them? That would seem to me to be... less than ideal.

Just to share, and there may be a more elegant way to achieve this, but this is what I use as dps during the fight for spears:

/target focus
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget

If you are getting him to 29%, then you obviously understand how everything is working. The other advice in this thread is pretty sound as far as a better way to CC and deal with the adds. The fate of one is the fate of them all (or each type anyway), so you only help yourself by keeping at least 1 of each type in the fight. You lose a CC after the first group dies, and he breaks all CC when one of them dies because with 2 groups, 3 cc triggers his freedom cast.

Anyhow, for the last phase, make sure you have people close enough for good healing, spread out enough for wind bombs. What we did was have the range kind of spread on the side with the spear wall, put tanks perpendicular to them on the right of the boss, and melee on the left. Then as the room fills around the range with wind bombs, we march him toward the far terrace wall, which leaves wind bombs behind us. Also, having the melee perpendicular to the ranged means that the spear is easier if even unnecessary to dodge due to the flight path typically being already out of the way of the melee. This helps their dps. This configuration also helps keep people relatively close for the rain of blades or whatever it is called.

Good luck on him! He is really not a tough fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfecto View Post
    Just to share, and there may be a more elegant way to achieve this, but this is what I use as dps during the fight for spears:

/target focus
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget
    Elegant in its simplicity. I use this macro, it works fine as it is.

Why are you using a Combat Rogue? It's an AoE fight far more than a cleave fight.

Stop. Check raidbots. Have your rogue go back to his other spec.

Is this heroic? I don't see how you could hit enrage on heroic. If it's normal, you can CC 4 adds.

Do you have logs? Sounds like you need to AoE more. As others have said, don't CC 3 of one type.

On normal, we CCed 2 Blades, 2 Menders; then 1 Blade, 1 Mender. Have each interrupter focus their own Mender. They only cast like once every 20-30s, so it's really easy.

On heroic, we CCed 2 Trappers, 1 Blade; swap Trapper CC to Menders when reinforcements come; kill Mender then Trapper then Blade immediately after the buff wears off. Pop Hero when Trappers die, boss dies shortly after Blades dies.

For the last phase should we stack for Rain of Blades? It just seems like it might be kinda hard seeing as how a Wind Bomb could be dropped on the raid or someone might hit one coming in to stack. 2 major Healing CD's are going to be worthless....Spirit Link Totem and Power Word: Barrier.

Also this is 1 Tankable right? Or is 2 Tanks pretty much needed cause of damage in Phase 2?
    Last edited by Sflame; 2012-12-13 at 09:28 PM.

1 tank is enough, monk and DK tanks are pretty much endurant tanking all the adds at phase 1. Your warlock should better go Demonology. Also why isn't your Fire Mage CC'ing? None of the ranged should have such luxury.