Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gf Just bought me this for Christmas, will it run gw2 maxed out?

*********Just an update on this computer.

I have had it for about 3 weeks now and it has ran literally every game on the highest possible settings allowed in the game menus.

I am also able to fraps at the same settings without any lag.

It also plays battlefield 3 mutliplayer maxed out and Crysis 2 maxed out while fraps is running.

Really great computer in my opinion and I suggest grabbing one if you see one*********

AlienWare X51
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-2120 (3M Cache, 3.3 GHz)
    Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    6GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
    1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640
    NVIDIA® GT 640

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx first one on left.

She already bought it and it Im going to set it up when i get home so im just wondering if I buy gw2 will I be able to play it maxed settings?
    And also what other great titles will I be able to play at max settings? And how about streaming, can it handle it?
    Last edited by Principe; 2013-01-11 at 12:21 AM.

It's kind of hard to find any good benchmarks for the GPU because it's not a mainstream class GPU. I'm going to take a gander and say no, it won't. For a good comparison BF3 is usually a decent game to show performance of a card. As shown by Tom's Hardware the 640 even at low settings on sub-1080p was only averaging 32 fps, which is well below desirable.

You can play it on max settings but I dont think the fps will be what you are looking for . Kind of an odd setup Im guess cause it has 6gb of ram which normally means a 4x2 which normally should be doubled up, the i3 2120 was a great budget cpu about a year ago, and the gt 640 is no where close to being powerful enough to play most games on max settings. Your best bet would probably be medium settings with an average of 30fps my guess would be with dips to the 20s and maybe spike up to the 45-60 in very unpopulated areas.

I wouldnt think to much about streamin with that machine. Jewel quest, zumas revenge, and pong are some other great titles you will get to play at max settings . Youll be able to play some other games I just wouldnt set my standards to high if I were you. I believe the x51 is a slim line also so you wouldnt be able to just pull the video card out and put an actual gaming card in .
    Last edited by demonskies; 2012-12-12 at 08:43 PM.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Maxed, no.

The 640 GT is a weaker card than the 650 which is more or less equivalent to the 7750 which achieves 30.9 FPS at 1920x1080.

The 650/7750 are crippled by modern games like BF3 and Sleeping Dogs:

Will your 640 be able to run modern games? Yes.
    Max settings? No.

1440x900 should still work maxed out, 1680x1050 probably not without dropping few options. Streaming is not gonna happen at HD resolution.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    1440x900 should still work maxed out, 1680x1050 probably not without dropping few options. Streaming is not gonna happen at HD resolution.
    While this is very true, let us all agree on this! Nice present from your GF and Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    While this is very true, let us all agree on this! Nice present from your GF and Merry Christmas!
    No it isnt! He probably should push her down the stairs for such failure in not knowing what to buy to run at max. lol jk.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Yes, it will run it well...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiromar View Post
    It's kind of hard to find any good benchmarks for the GPU because it's not a mainstream class GPU. I'm going to take a gander and say no, it won't. For a good comparison BF3 is usually a decent game to show performance of a card. As shown by Tom's Hardware the 640 even at low settings on sub-1080p was only averaging 32 fps, which is well below desirable.
    True, but BF3 is just a really well coded game. Many games that look like shit can run less smooth than BF3 on my pc. GW2 is one of the less looking games that runs much harder than it should be.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh.

It's nice to see a friendly happy merry post like this.

Indeed, Merry Christmas, thank her much, and even though it won't play it at max 1920x1080, it will do alright!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ahhh.

It's nice to see a friendly happy merry post like this.

Indeed, Merry Christmas, thank her much, and even though it won't play it at max 1920x1080, it will do alright!
    Oh I mean come on cpu mobo case psu etc go out and buy a 6870 for yourself and thank her every step of the way imo. It'll run stuff @ max w/ a better gpu its really a solid Xmas present, in my family $500~ presents arent uhhh normal.

Keep the reciept and return it. Don't buy a dell that's $500 dollars over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Keep the reciept and return it. Don't buy a dell that's $500 dollars over priced.
    Even using the cheapest parts on newegg building the same specced pc is only ~$100 difference. Plus he will get a 1 year included warranty he could just say fix my shit dell and wont have to worry bout going thru multiple manufactures. They are still overpriced but nowhere near as overpriced as they used to be when they werent under dell. Granted for $650 there are better options out there.

I checked Futuremark or was it passmark, it seems the GDDR5 version of the GT 640 is close to the GTX 550 ti and HD 7750

Quote Originally Posted by Powerninja View Post
    I checked Futuremark or was it passmark, it seems the GDDR5 version of the GT 640 is close to the GTX 550 ti and HD 7750
    gt 640 vs 550 ti
    640 vs 7750

no they arent anywhere close, dont use passmark as a full on benchmark, it semi ok for a quick look but thats about it

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Even using the cheapest parts on newegg building the same specced pc is only ~$100 difference. Plus he will get a 1 year included warranty he could just say fix my shit dell and wont have to worry bout going thru multiple manufactures. They are still overpriced but nowhere near as overpriced as they used to be when they werent under dell. Granted for $650 there are better options out there.
    Dell was never over priced, they are retail priced. They supply a service of obviously good quality, no enthusiast will ever say companies that build ship and maintain laptops pc's and keep a generally pleasant staff are bad, unless of course the product is bad. In Dell's case the product is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dell was never over priced, they are retail priced. They supply a service of obviously good quality, no enthusiast will ever say companies that build ship and maintain laptops pc's and keep a generally pleasant staff are bad, unless of course the product is bad. In Dell's case the product is good.
    Thanks for all the great replies guys!

I have never had the luxury of a gaming computer and have always been stuck with average laptops and my current laptop can only play wow on low settings.

So I am super excited and thankful to be able to experience a higher picture quality and a game like Gw2 for once even if its not at super maxed out settings im positive it will be better then average.

Quote Originally Posted by Principe View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies guys!

I have never had the luxury of a gaming computer and have always been stuck with average laptops and my current laptop can only play wow on low settings.

So I am super excited and thankful to be able to experience a higher picture quality and a game like Gw2 for once even if its not at super maxed out settings im positive it will be better then average.
    Use the holiday sales to your advantage and try to upgrade the gpu, you will need a gaming class gpu to get good FPS. 7770 Ghz editions are regularily $100 finding one for $80 shouldnt be too hard atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just an update on this computer.

I have had it for about 3 weeks now and it has ran literally every game on the highest possible settings allowed in the game menus.

I am also able to fraps at the same settings without any lag.

It also plays battlefield 3 mutliplayer maxed out and Crysis 2 maxed out while fraps is running.

Really great computer in my opinion and I suggest grabbing one if you see one for cheap somewhere and you don't feel like building your own.