Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Alright guys, thanks for the suggestions and tips. I'll always be a nerd at heart but i'm really motivated to do this and change my lifestyle.

What is a nutrinionist called in dutch words? I really don't know how to eat, i feel like i'm either going to eat too much or i don't do enough.
    Last edited by mmoc0147b9f362; 2012-12-12 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    What is a nutrinionist called in dutch words?
    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voedingsdeskundige

Believe this is what you're looking for.

Alright bud luckily for you some of us here are gym rats and know what to do, lets start with the basics:

Two things,

1: theres the whole calories in - to calories out ratio

2: you actually want to build as much muscle as possible

Beginning at one, what you need to do is to determine what your daily caloric intake is to MAINTAIN your weight and then cut said calories off and you WILL lose weight, its that simple, its not in how much cardio you do, its not in how hard you pump your guns, but they do contribute later on it depends on how far you take this.

Its all in the diet, you can determine your daily calorie maintenance using this http://www.weightrainer.net/gaincalc.html once you have used the calculator to find your maintenance all you have to do is cut 500 calories off of it for fast but healthy weight loss and MAKE SURE you get all your macro nutrients in for the day, which are:

Protein, Carbohydrates and fats. For your weight you need to do your own research on that, but if i had to guess i would say for you 170 grams of protein, 30grams of fats and 200grams of carbs but like i said for however your bodytype is you need to do your own research. And yes i said fats, you actually need to eat some fat to lose fats but they have to be GOOD fats that fall under the category of

Monounsaturated
    polyunsaturated

Mostly found in olive oil, fish oil, avodacoes, peanut butter, sunflower oil.

Before i finish the first section when i mean a diet i dont mean go ON a diet i mean you need to completely change the way you eat permanently, if your naturally fat you have fat stores ready to go, fats are important in our daily lives they regulate our thyroid glands which does the clockwork of all our hormone releases throughout the day including testosterone.

fats that are stored in your body should be considered as emergency rations, but you live in the modern world now you dont need it, so intake your fats from good sources instead of relying on the stuff you already carry it promotes weight loss minorly in of itself.

You need to be aware of what your eating, this is too much to explain and you dont wanna info overload yourself so go and learn what Simple and complex carbs are. They're a maker or breaker for fat loss.

SECONDLY: Having muscle mass on your body BURNS FAT ALL THE TIME WHEN YOUR NOT DOING ANYTHING! thats right, its not much but it does, fat is easy to have on your body, its jiggly, an inbuilt food, light, and able to spread around your entire body. to get more of it all you gotta do is eat and sit on your arse.

Muscle on the other hand is dense, a type of tool, heavy, and compacted all around your body. to get more of it you have to work your arse off. But once its there its hard to get rid of unless you get lazy for regular long periods of time (an infrequent gym schedule, but if you go regularly 4-5 times a week and go on holidays for a fortnight dont worry too much) or just abuse yourself with too much training (yes you can go to the gym TOO often.)

It takes of lot of heat, which in your body is energy to maintain your muscle mass, so therefore just having some on you is burning constant calories, not much, but its there and it adds up over time and thats why fit people look fit and fat people look fat.

You should train according to your body type here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm if your fat tsk that sucks for you you need to get some intensity going with short rests between your sets until you get a little thinner, i would honestly start with the weights and just work with a 4 days of the week schedule, 2 days on one day off. This with a regimented diet and moderate calories from GOOD food with all your macros in it, at a 500 calorie deficit the weight will just shed off.

After that, its up to you whether you wanna pursue the bodybuilding lifestyle or not. Hope this helps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    'Love handles' is fat. This exercise is not for burning fat, but to build muscles.

Fat is burned through good cardio and eating right, and you cannot focus your burn on individual body parts.

That said, having a good core will hold up your gut better, giving you the visual of being more slim.
    Do you have any good cardio tips for when you can't go running or cycling outside because there is loads of snow and ice...

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    This is very very dangerous advice, speaking as someone who's been in that situation it will lead to some pretty nasty & very ugly consequences so any diet of this variety would need to be undertaken with the permission & supervision of qualified medical professionals!
    Went through a similar thing, but this was due to an undiagnosed disease. And my doctor was just like "Cool story bro" and it didn't seem like it was such a big issue, which I thought it would be...
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Do chest exercises and sit ups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    Do you have any good cardio tips for when you can't go running or cycling outside because there is loads of snow and ice...
    Obviously treadmills are an answer but they are expensive, so you can maybe try getting a jump rope; they are cheap, and great cardio.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Good luck

My approach is to view food, sleep, exercise, lifestyle, environment -- everything -- as all part of the puzzle. Focusing on one can yield results, but the best and lasting results come from finding balance among the daily changes in life.

1. Above all else, listen to your body. Note how you feel after eating x, y, z foods, when you feel hungry again, when you feel sleepy, how you feel after you sleep, how you feel after your exercise, when you find your emotions to be high/low, etc.

2. We all know every body can be different, but more importantly: everyone's experience can be different. Therefore, take all suggestions with reserve until proven for yourself. If someone says "do lots of cardio," feel free to try it, as long as you observe #1. Feeling crappy after a workout is often paired with the "no pain, no gain" crowd, but that's just a crowd, not a Truth. However, one data point does not a conclusion make. So....

3. Keep a journal. A food journal, an exercise journal, a mood journal, an illness journal, any or all of the aforementioned. Unless you're constantly thinking about how you feel and comparing it to past experiences, a journal's the best way to find mini-truths about your body or, more commonly, insights for iterations on how to live. The longer you keep the journal, the more you'll learn. Sometimes you'll make false correlations, but you'll still learn.

That said, from personal experience as a once-sedentary gamer, I found four things to be most effective to changing my energy levels, frequency of illness, and fat/muscle composition:

1. Proper sleep. Going to bed before I felt exhausted and waking up with or near sunrise. And again, getting lots of sun exposure or supplementing with vitamin D. How much vitamin D, what kind, and when to take it were all things I learned through others' research and personal records. Proper sleep kept me in great spirits with lots of energy.

2. A standing desk. I made mine by stacking my monitor and keyboard on top of milk crates on top of my regular desk. When I want a sitting desk (to watch a movie, etc), I undo my handiwork. For fun, I bought a cheap balance board and found out that my legs did not become stiff or sore from even 3-4 hours of computer time.

3. Good food. This one's very much tied with trial-and-error and your journal. I found I responded best to a high-saturated and mono-unsaturated fat diet, with plenty of vegetables, and a nice source of protein every meal. For the longest time I tried to find ways to keep ice cream, or lots of fruit, or sugary treats in my diet, but they led to sleepiness, bloating, and sensations of hunger after eating. Being on a tight budget, this means lots of eggs, weekly trips to a farmers' market for vegetables like romaine lettuce and sweet potatoes, liberal use of spices and oils like extra virgin olive oil, and trips to the butcher for the weekly sales. (Chicken may get old, but pan-fried chicken takes a long while to get old for me.) Experiment to find what works with you. If you don't buy your food, try to influence those who buy it.

3.5. Not bad food. Worth noting: as a result of my journal and introspection, I discovered that even the best quality bread made me feel off. I'm not celiac, but bread still gives me problems. "Bad" food is sometimes about the quality, or preparation, and sometimes it's also about how your body interacts with it. I recently learned that pasteurized milk of any sort -- low-fat, high-fat, and no-carb -- gives me ADD like symptoms that take about an hour to wear off as well as back and facial [around the temples, mostly] acne the day after. I don't know about unpasteurized milk, but I'm all for just skipping out on milk altogether for now.

4. Lots of slow movement every day. I try to move at least an hour straight each day, whether on a leisurely walk or while making dinners or cleaning the house. At worst, I get a couple hours on my balance board at my standing desk (and try to induce movement by shifting weight to the beat of music).

4.5. I follow this up with something heavy every day -- back bridges for 30 seconds at a time, benchpressing my body weight, push-ups, pull-ups, body-weight squats, or whatever I can come up with. I try to get about 5-10 minutes of heavier exercise daily. I don't try to strain myself -- I'm looking to have fun with my body. In the colder months, I start my mornings with back bridges to warm my body.

Now, your post was about specifics of body fat and moobs and belly fat, and I've not addressed them head-on. Why? Because I approach life holistically. If you feel like your body is out of balance (too much fat, or storing it in wrong places), then to solve your problem I advocate finding balance in your life, not just in your diet/exercise regime.

Finally, I have advice on where to start your research. The best online communities are the ones that are open to new ideas and adjusting old ideas. I've found the paleo/primal movement to have a large number of, well, tribes of ideas that shift as new introspection and data are available. Mark Sisson, the Jaminets, Robb Wolf, Nora Gedgaudas, etc., etc., etc. -- and the summarizers and thinkers like Angelo Coppola (who has a neat podcast called Latest in Paleo) -- are great people/communities to start with.

Paleo/primal is all about finding balance with your body and your world and questioning what's good and bad for you. But paleo is not Truth. It's a starting point, a set of ideas that allow for reflection.

From all my experience, I could suggest other folks, movements, and ideas about health, balance, and exercise, but -- as best I can tell -- paleo's the best movement to start with. You'll move on or dig deeper as you spend more time focused on your health.

Keep an open mind, be diligent, listen to your body, and keep a journal.

Good luck.

PS: I didn't mean to bog you down with tons of text, so I've bolded the key points.

Deleted
    I have a lot of respect for someone getting motivated and acting to change something in their life. I would recommend a hard diet of vegetables and protein like chicken, eggs, shakes and cottage cheese totaling approx 1000 calories per day. One off day per month where you eat WHATEVER, and i mean seriously as much of anything you want you can possibly squeeze down your throat, this release day will take alot of psychological weight off the task and give you greater stamina to pull through on the change.
    Also you should get up at 7-8 every morning and learn to love the sunlight - it's what your body craves and will actually influence BRAIN CHEMISTRY for the better. If it's available, get into any social sport you can, even if you are making a fool of yourself at the start. Channel the energy of a dog: totally loyal, open friendly, interested in other people, sincere attitude and pretty much everybody will take a liking to. Wish u the best of luck bro.

I'll give you the secret to losing weight.... ready...

Brian : PUT THE FORK DOWN.

Now in all seriousness, MATH
    You expend more calories than you take in. Done. That's how you lose weight and flabby bits. There is nothing else you can do beyond burning more calories than you intake.

So in closing...
    Cardio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat meat, eggs, fruits, and vegetables. Refrain from eating starches like rice, pasta, bread, etc.

Edit: More complicated than calories in/calories out. Hormones play a big role in metabolism, and one of those is insulin. Raising blood sugar with starchy foods or sugars will result in insulin release and more subsequent fat storage. If you drench some chicken in olive oil, you probably won't get fat. If you eat a bowl of pasta, maybe you will.
    Last edited by Underverse; 2012-12-12 at 11:38 PM.

Try intermittent fasting and high intensity interval training(HIIT). The fasting will stop you overeating and the HIIT is pretty much the most effective way to lose fat.

Also remember that the only thing that makes you lose fat is burning more calories than you consme.

Deleted
    Also swimming is excellent for aerobic exercise, there you need to use all your muscle groups not just legs and it won't wear out your joints as badly as running. Fat burns away evenly, last place to leave, first place to get = belly for male, back thighs for female.

Lower your carbohydrate intake, increase your healthy fat and protein intake. Snack on nuts and seeds. Have half an avocado with dinner.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Eat fat, lose fat! And keep up your exercise. Excess weight around the waist (and tummy region) is the hardest to get rid of by far. I'm in fairly good shape and I've still got love handles. Keep at it

10+ Year Old Account
    Onservation 1: go to / fit/ on 4chan and read the sticky. The place is a hell hole, but the sticky has vital information. Mmo- champ has a lot of people giving both bad and contradictory advice.

Observation 2: If you're still sporting man boobs and love handles, you probably aren't at 15% body fat.

Observation 3: Weight loss is between 90 and 100% diet. If you want a nice, lean body, you gotta cut calories. Exercise is not very helpful.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Poppycock! It's fine in moderation.
    so is mcdonalds french fries =p

but forreal dont use bread...it just turns into sugar and that turns into fat go for a carrot or something of the vegitable type
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obby View Post
    so is mcdonalds french fries =p

but forreal dont use bread...it just turns into sugar and that turns into fat go for a carrot or something of the vegitable type
    It's really more that it's just calorie dense and doesn't satiate.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Went through a similar thing, but this was due to an undiagnosed disease. And my doctor was just like "Cool story bro" and it didn't seem like it was such a big issue, which I thought it would be...
    Where as I remember in brutally graphic detail sitting down with a nurse following chemo/radiotherapy to the oropharyngeal (still can't spell it) area, unable to eat anything more than 2 tins of tomato soup a day (approx 400cal) - "if we do not get this fixed you are in immediate danger of having a heart attack!" that scared the shit out of me more than the cancer diagnosis! It's really bad for you as the body rather than burning fat will naturally go to burning muscle instead - I'd lost 18kg in 2 months as tomato soup was all I could eat & keep down! (to this day I can't look at the stuff without wretching - seriously my family have some sort of sick fun out of putting a bowl of the stuff infront of me & watching as I dry heave) Granted that's in extreme circumstance where my system was already borked, but the reasoning stands.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    running and bike riding is very good

This thread almost gets me motivated to go back to the gym in the morning. I've been being a lazy fatty since I came back from England in July and put on like 15 pounds or so.

Early night for me tonight, pack my bag and be off to the gym before work I think.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.