Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Gundams and Aperture? AND directed by del Toro? Ermagerd, YES. Extremely hyped about this movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I always worry about plot and story in these sorts of movies. From the looks of it, it seems to be pretty one note.
    LOL...you say that like it's a bad thing. People go to see these sorts of movies specifically because of that. They aren't called B movies for nothing!

I'm totally looking forward to this. It's going to be corny, it's going to be cheesy, it's going to be over the top. I can't friggin' WAIT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Normally, I'd pass this off as another Battleship (which I honestly expected to be absolute garbage but it was surprisingly okay) or Transformers (which I watch because I was an '80s kid, but fuck you, Michael Bay), except for one thing.

Guillermo del Toro.

I will see anything that man makes, and it will usually amaze me, even though I'm a cranky critical bastard when it comes to fiction, whether books or movies.
    Yeah, there is hope for this. I think I'll just have to be in the right mindset in order to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    LOL...you say that like it's a bad thing. People go to see these sorts of movies specifically because of that. They aren't called B movies for nothing!

I'm totally looking forward to this. It's going to be corny, it's going to be cheesy, it's going to be over the top. I can't friggin' WAIT!
    It's kinda bad when a "B" movie has a 200 million dollar budget. I would give them credit for coming up with an original script except giant monster movies have been done over and over for 70 years plus. I think a decent story would add a lot to the film, though sadly I can only see a lot of CGI and explosions and no real substance. It's the kind of movie you rent when you're bored a year after it comes out on DVD. I guess I'm just over this sort of thing.

It looks cool, but isn't this the plot of every single Japanese anime from the 80's? A giant monster of the week attacks and we send out a giant robot to them? Voltron for example. Also, the robots seem to move so slow. I though maybe they would move like the Transformers. Maybe it would have been better with different factions with giant robots fighting each other? I will still see it though.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm with Fuzzy on this one - it's already a "B" quality movie.

I just the second of two trailers for this film, and while the graphics look great and del Toro brings a lot to the table, the premise looks absolutely idiotic. Giant monsters invade the earth, so we build giant robots to fight them? That's the best we can do?

Someone help me out here. I don't know much about the history of Pacific Rim so maybe I'm missing something.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I've liked a fair few of del Toro's films, I'm still not really sure I'd see it in the cinema.

If the reviews come out glowing I might. I still would have loved to see him direct "At the Mountain of Madness".

15+ Year Old Account
    All I know is I'm going to see the movie NO MATTER WHAT.

I loved Hellboy 1 and 2. Del Toro knows what he's doing.

Deleted
    If I will go see this I will do it for epic scenery and fighting scenes, not for the story ;b

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always worry about plot and story in these sorts of movies. From the looks of it, it seems to be pretty one note.
    This movie is about giant monsters fighting giant robots, and at the end the survivors get cake. If you're worried about the plot you're watching for the wrong reasons.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    This movie is about giant monsters fighting giant robots, and at the end the survivors get cake. If you're worried about the plot you're watching for the wrong reasons.
    This is the perspective I needed. I kept trying to figure out why giant robots were the answer to giant monsters invading - and of course that would actually be a logically ridiculous choice. But a great fight between giant robots and giant monsters - fuck yeah!

Watched trailer, liked it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Why not make the same movie but give it a good story too? Why appeal to the lowest common denominator constantly with these blockbuster films?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not make the same movie but give it a good story too? Why appeal to the lowest common denominator constantly with these blockbuster films?
    because the lowest common denominator wants sex, guns, and blood, and lots of it. No room for anything else silly

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Someone help me out here. I don't know much about the history of Pacific Rim so maybe I'm missing something.
    It's basically Del Toro showing his love for the kinda stuff he grew up watching, giant monsters and robots and such. Same reason Peter Jackson did King Kong, it's not like we NEEDED another Kong, but the movie was special to Jackson and he wanted to put out his own take on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    because the lowest common denominator wants sex, guns, and blood, and lots of it. No room for anything else silly
    yeah, well don't get me wrong, I enjoy a mindless movie every now and again. That said, the frequency of these sorts of movies is too high. End of the World and Superhero movies are just so played out now. Would be really nice to see some intelligent sci-fi films for a change.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, well don't get me wrong, I enjoy a mindless movie every now and again. That said, the frequency of these sorts of movies is too high. End of the World and Superhero movies are just so played out now. Would be really nice to see some intelligent sci-fi films for a change.
    I'm with you on this - too many mindless plots with decent/good special effects that don't even begin to hide the sophomoric plot. Nolin has a new sci-fi coming out in a year or so, "Interstellar" or something like that - was just announced so might be 2015 release.

Deleted

Pacific Rim

Well well well what do we have here

Looks like American Gundam // and i love it <3

!In theatres: July 12, 2013
    Last edited by mmoc743b654a14; 2013-04-29 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Great, forgot to add the [movie] Tag

I was skeptical, but then i saw "Director Guillermo Del Toro"...I'll watch anything that man does at least once, and I've yet to be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    I was skeptical, but then i saw "Director Guillermo Del Toro"...I'll watch anything that man does at least once, and I've yet to be disappointed!
    How about the GLaDOS voice from the portal games is in the movie. That's reason enough for me. I wonder how much money they had to dish out for that voice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't figure out why there are two people piloting them though. They are in the head the head of the "mech" but there are two pilots it seems.