Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If we go metric system can everybody else go with the English language that would be awesome.
    Thats a pretty dumb comparison.

I would say yes, looking at their system it just really doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhozul View Post
    I vote yes, but honestly we Americans are some of the most stubborn people on the planet. We don't change easily. Just ask our President.
    Humans are naturally stubborn. Lets reverse it and try to make any of the European nation switch to us....Probably start a war.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what's with stones like Ill hear somebody that's from the UK say they weigh so many stones.

Yeah, it should have long ago, and I'm an American. The one and only thing I like about our system is the foot because metric goes from CM to Meter with nothing nice in between. But overall, our system is a big dumb piece of shit. It would be very weird getting used to using the metric system but yeah...kill it with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Yet I do believe NASA uses metric
    I'm sure they do. But does it really matter to you in life? Does it really matter to ANYONE honestly? It's not like learning a language. It doesn't take years of listening to the dialect and the genuine citizens of that country to understand how to use the imperial or the metric system.

I also read the other day in a book that some European countries use "millions" as a multiplier. Where 1,000 thousands is 1 million. But 1 million millions is a billion. And 1 million billions is a trillion so forth and so on.

How confusing is that? It's not the most credible book I'd say but it was filled with random facts from elephants only have 4 kneecaps to the loudest snorer ever snores at 91 decibels, louder than a power lawnmower.

So basically, while you might think this is going to be some great thing for future generations and while yes it MAY technically still come to pass as time moves forward and we change into a more stable easy flowing system of numbers... It's really microscopic in the grand scheme of things.

People will learn how to use the metric system being born with the imperial, and people will learn how to read and use the imperial after using the metric system for 30+ years.

I know how to use the metric system, and I never even went to a single class for it. I also know how to use the imperial system, and I also never took a single class for it.

Aveline's amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbrew View Post
    What is the main reason against converting to the metric system, other then the implementation of a new system?
    Real reasons? Biggest being that are whole nation is based on our system atm. Think of all the packaging from companies that have to be redone, text book changes (lol good luck with that!) Etc. Etc.
    Funny reasons is that we Americans own everything, everybody just doesn't know it yet.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Almost certainly too much to justify it at this point.
    Almost certainly not. It's not like people didn't say the exact same thing when Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand god knows where else metricated.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Fact: Even though Canada uses the metric system, we still call it a quarter pounder with cheese.
    (Even in French. It's called 'quart de livre avec fromage.')
    Even here in aus we call it a quarter pounder.

OT: I think so, personally I dont get the american system, seems like its making things more complicated than they need be lol.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    It would cost to much money and confuse everyone. I personally would like to stick with Imperial because i grew up on it.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

This is like asking every country to speak English...

Quote Originally Posted by Fainth View Post
    This is like asking every country to speak English...
    .....What.....No not even close.

Anyone else realize that ounces -> pound isn't even a conversion between 2 measurements of distance? lol

Anywho, for science Metric is fine. For temperature Celcius to me would be horrible, Fahrenheit is the better option for weather temps in my opinion. As for the date, it wouldn't bother me either way.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even metric's date is wrong. YYYY/MM/DD sorting by MSD. Also, Kelvin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Yeah, it should have long ago, and I'm an American. The one and only thing I like about our system is the foot because metric goes from CM to Meter with nothing nice in between. But overall, our system is a big dumb piece of shit. It would be very weird getting used to using the metric system but yeah...kill it with fire.
    Um.. Decimetre?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, math in school confused the hell out of me when it wasn't metric. The whole feet/inches/miles is overcomplicated and stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbrew View Post
    What is the main reason against converting to the metric system, other then the implementation of a new system?
    Would think it was economical.
    Teaching books and road signs would need to be changed.
    Now the interresting question really is. How much does failed conversions between imperial and metric system costs every year?
    There was the episode with NASA as one linked earlier. Has also been at least one with a plane crashing because of that. Probably a lot of minor things too that just wastes some time.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Actually, the metric system has decimetre(dm), which is a tenth of a meter (and therefore, ten centimetres). We DO have something nice inbetween, but people tend to only talk in cm/m =/
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Canada switched to metric in the late 70's (fairly recent as far as history goes) and our economy is fine, so I don't understand the "economy would be even more ruined" argument.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Real reasons? Biggest being that are whole nation is based on our system atm. Think of all the packaging from companies that have to be redone, text book changes (lol good luck with that!) Etc. Etc.
    Funny reasons is that we Americans own everything, everybody just doesn't know it yet.
    lol text books are "updated" (I work for an engineering/medical/science library) every 3 year!
    sure it cost money but phasing out one systems for a better, more uniformed system should not be that difficult.

other then economical issues, is there much of a resistance for people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Canada switched to metric in the late 70's (fairly recent as far as history goes) and our economy is fine, so I don't understand the "economy would be even more ruined" argument.
    Because of the costs associated with switching over (ie, road signs, text books, reeducation). The world economy was in a better shape back then than it is right now, at least in the U.S. (unless I've been led astray by Utah's educational system yet again).

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.