Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    Only a few years ago here in the UK, when the EU tried to enforce metric weights and measures, many peopleignored it and refused. Grocers working on street corners who had been selling lbs of bananas for 40 years refused. It went as far as these grocers having their imperial scales confiscated and even facing jail!

The bottom line of this argument was "who the f**k do the UE think they are to tell me I can no longer ask for a lb of bananas?"
    The point is, you can still measure the stuff the way you want, but when you sell them you have to print a receipt using the legally recognized unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    no because its easy enough to understand for americans, but yuropoors dont know out system so it confuses them. It gives us the upper hand come invasion of the USA. its 300 miles to atlanta, how many kilometres is that

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    It is logic and shared worldwide, two sides that might not seem to be super duper at first glance but are.
    Just imagine how much wasted money and time that are caused on daily basis.
    I guess I don't really know when this would become a problem. I'm trying to imagine a circumstance where large amounts of time and money are wasted, and I'm failing to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    no because its easy enough to understand for americans, but yuropoors dont know out system so it confuses them. It gives us the upper hand come invasion of the USA. its 300 miles to atlanta, how many kilometres is that
    480. Multiplying 300 by 1.6 isn't too difficult.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I like the chart you showed.. Minus the blatant bias against the American system.

Doesn't seem to stop us from being the first to get to Mars or the first in quite a bit of historical mile stones is it?

Shame.
    Except of course the scientists actually achieving those firsts tend (being scientists after all) to be working in SI units...

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    480. Multiplying 300 by 1.6 isn't too difficult.
    But it's more like 483! See, potential invaders will totally underestimate the distance and run short on gas...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xindi View Post
    Except of course the scientists actually achieving those firsts tend (being scientists after all) to be working in SI units...
    Which just goes to show that our country works fine using imperial units for day-to-day usage and SI for engineering/science type uses.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    I'm a programmer, I assure you it is really annoying when you see something like 01-05-2012 and you don't know what the hell is that
    YYYY/MM/DD for life. Or long date format, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    It can be done gradually, let's say for example that a new hypothetical law says every new road sign has to include both measures, and in 20 years all the new road signs will only contain metric values.
    This way you have no extra expense at all, you just insert the new system in the normal road sign replacement cycle.
    I don't think you realize, or appreciate, just how many signs there are in the US. Even done gradually it would be a massive undertaking that would cost a crap load of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I guess I don't really know when this would become a problem. I'm trying to imagine a circumstance where large amounts of time and money are wasted, and I'm failing to do so.
    Didn't a space probe crash into a planet/moon because a majority of the components were reading/outputting metric and some others were in imperial. So when the probe was 1 KM from the surface, and the thrusters said 1 mile, it descended and crashed in a billion dollar pile of ashes

found it on CNN http://articles.cnn.com/1999-09-30/t...eam?_s=PM:TECH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    But it's more like 483! See, potential invaders will totally underestimate the distance and run short on gas...
    Oh right. I forgot the nine thousandths of a kilometer more each mile has. That'll get them redcoats!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Converting between imperial and metrc(SI) is easy. More so if you've got a smartphone. Converting WITHIN imperial, that's what the hassle.

Had you been using a hexanumerical system it would have been a different story!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    On the topic of temperature - I use Kelvin; it is the better system.
    It's the same scale as Celsius, just uses the absolute zero (temperature at which even Oxygen freezes) as 0 degrees, whereas Celsius uses the freezing and evaporation temperatures for 0 and 100 degrees

Also Metric>Imperial in any way possible. If in doubt, look at the picture in OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I don't think you realize, or appreciate, just how many signs there are in the US. Even done gradually it would be a massive undertaking that would cost a crap load of money.
    Not really. Those signs have to be replaced every so often anyway. If they're just changed then, it's not really that big of an undertaking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    first of all we couldn´t invade the US even if we wanted to... second we own calculators, it´s not like that we can´t mulitply or divide... and third being able to easy convert from volume to length is pretty practical, but do as you please it is really none of my business
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Not really. Those signs have to be replaced every so often anyway. If they're just changed then, it's not really that big of an undertaking.
    Newer signs can last up to about 20 years. That's more than "every so often".

EDIT: I think people might also be forgetting that it's not just the overhead signs and the 300 miles to X signs but also the mile markers and exit signs (that are based on mile markers) that would need to be changed.
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2012-12-14 at 02:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

EDIT: I think people might also be forgetting that it's not just the overhead signs and the 300 miles to X signs but also the mile markers and exit signs (that are based on mile markers) that would need to be changed.
    just imagine how fast you´re allowed to drive going from mph to kmh only because of the signs without changing your cars xD hell yeaaah

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 03:59 PM ----------

no officier i was going 130 mph .. what? that´s kmh, whats a kmh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    Didn't a space probe crash into a planet/moon because a majority of the components were reading/outputting metric and some others were in imperial. So when the probe was 1 KM from the surface, and the thrusters said 1 mile, it descended and crashed in a billion dollar pile of ashes
    What I have learned from physics value without unit behind it means nothing, like 10.

You need to specify if it is 10m 10km or 10mile.

10+ Year Old Account

So? Change them when their 20 years are up. It's not as if all the signs out there right now are brand new, either. You'd get some percentage of the signs changed over each year until all signs had both notations on them, then you'd start changing to metric only. The whole thing might take ~40 years, but if we care about it enough, that's really not a big deal, and the costs wouldn't really be much more than the costs were going to be if we stuck with Imperial units.

So? Change them when their 20 years are up. It's not as if all the signs out there right now are brand new, either. You'd get some percentage of the signs changed over each year until all signs had both notations on them, then you'd start changing to metric only. The whole thing might take ~40 years, but if we care about it enough, that's really not a big deal, and the costs wouldn't really be much more than the costs were going to be if we stuck with Imperial units.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone cares that much about it. It's really not worth it.