Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    American. No. But metric does make more sense, as does Celsius, but it's not that hard to remember conversions for either...like, at all...Besides, Fahrenheit is much much much more accurate as there is 180 degrees between freezing and boiling as opposed to 100 Celsius
    I have seen a lot of Americans say this, which just doesn't make sense.

Celsius and Fahrenheit , or even Kelvin, are just different measure units, which has nothing to do with accuracy.

Celsius devides freezing point/boilling point difference into 100 degree, which is just easier to comprehend.

If you want accuracy, you can go 23.13479438574398 C, which is more accurate than 123.001 F.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Yeah, I don't think anyone cares that much about it. It's really not worth it.
    Well "we don't care" sounds like a reasonable argument to me. "We'd have to spend tons of money switching all the signs" doesn't.

I'd like to see us move towards metric, but I don't care enough to really do anything about it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    I have seen a lot of Americans say this, which just doesn't make sense.

Celsius and Fahrenheit , or even Kelvin, are just different measure units, which has nothing to do with accuracy.

Celsius devides freezing point/boilling point difference into 100 degree, which is just easier to comprehend.

If you want accuracy, you can go 23.13479438574398 C, which is more accurate than 123.001 F.
    They just mean Fahrenheit has more granularity to its whole units.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Celisius was a swede, reason in itself to use it ;o
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Celisius was a swede, reason in itself to use it ;o
    You nationalist zealot!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You nationalist zealot!
    Shhh dont tell anyone
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    YYYY/MM/DD for life. Or long date format, at least.
    I could live with that, but in many cases it is not the standard

So? Change them when their 20 years are up. It's not as if all the signs out there right now are brand new, either. You'd get some percentage of the signs changed over each year until all signs had both notations on them, then you'd start changing to metric only. The whole thing might take ~40 years, but if we care about it enough, that's really not a big deal, and the costs wouldn't really be much more than the costs were going to be if we stuck with Imperial units.
    Exactly, I'm not arguing that you should change them, but as Reeve is pointing out there wouldn't be much extra cost. Actually the only cost would be updating the factories where those signs are produced so that they print 2 numbers instead of one.

These countries are using the same road signs and started changing them in 1978.

Not a big deal.
    Last edited by capitano666; 2012-12-14 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Well "we don't care" sounds like a reasonable argument to me. "We'd have to spend tons of money switching all the signs" doesn't.
    They're tied together. We don't care enough to have to spend that much money doing it, and if you don't think it would cost additional money even if we do have to replace the signs eventually, then you're crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    They're tied together. We don't care enough to have to spend that much money doing it, and if you don't think it would cost additional money even if we do have to replace the signs eventually, then you're crazy.
    It'd cost some amount, but it's not a large amount. It'd be a relatively minor part of any state budget with comparison to all the other stuff we're doing.

I'm a little confused here, I'm from the UK and i was taught in school (1997) that things are measured in (MPH, STONE, INCHES etc) that's the imperial system right? If so then wouldn't that make us an imperial measuring nation?

I'm really bloody tired so sorry if it makes little sense.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    I could live with that, but in many cases it is not the standard
    In fact YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO 8601 standard fromat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the metric system in my worklife (American working for French company) but I hate it frankly. This is, of course, due to my upbringing - I freely admit it.

Not saying we arn't going to get there eventually. Or, hell, it's more likely a new system come about that the entire world has to embrace. I shall refer to this as the "Good Enough" Measurement system.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The US has already tried to go metric, during the Reagan(?) years. It was a disaster.
    I'm American and I think we should try again. It's a bandaid that has to be pulled off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    The US has already tried to go metric, during the Reagan(?) years. It was a disaster.
    No, metrification was started under Ford in 1976, then Regan scrapped it in 1982.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    repeat with me, america is a continent, united states of america is a country

As an American working in the manufacturing industry as an engineer...I have to say yes, for all things good and holy, please yes convert to metric.

Why we're the only (or one of a VERY few) country that still uses this retarded measuring system is beyond me, every professional I speak to who does some type of measurement always uses metrics...and when necessary converts to the dumb American system because the item he's working on is being distributed in America.

I see no reason to waste time in elementary school learning a system of units that no discipline uses.
    I could have shortened my post by a lot if I had just posted this and said: ^This......

Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    maybe to you. here north america = continent, south america = continent, america = generally accepted as short version of united states of america. but however you like it i guess, you're not going to change anybody's minds here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    The world uses America as shorthand for United States of America. Get over it.

i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    What about when you want a liter of cola?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What about when you want a liter of cola?
    You say "I would like a cubicmeter but much, much, much, much, much less of Coke please" !