Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Why is there this bias by a decent amount of veteran players (specifically those who began in Classic/BC) against anyone who began in Wrath/Cata/MoP?
    Mostly because Burning Crusade was the last expansion to contain gated content which provided an artificial sense of elitism because it showed you managed to get further than other players (though that was possibly only because of guild poaching, favors, luck, backstabbing, etc). Wrath also introduced separate raid sizes for the same instance, the dungeon finder, and made Retribution Paladin acceptable for about 72 hours (players weren't having any of that.) When games and social activities become popular everyone puts on their hipster glasses and talks about how they were into it before others were, and Wrath was the upper spike on the games popularity and player populace so they're the prime targets. They still talked smack about Wrath up until 4.2 nerfs and 4.3, then Cata joined that club.

Basically anonymity + internet + WoW = complete ass. Well, unless you're like most of us who just don't give a damn.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

its just stupid people with a bias.. the same can be said for making fun of people if they are from india or pakistan... it doesnt matter where a person comes from.. if they can do their job well thats good enough.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally had much more fun during vanilla and BC, i guess this makes me an elitist scum for many guys here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    personally I don't give a shit when you started. Playing for eight years means nothing new players can learn and be better than players who have been around since beta. I have no idea why people who have been around since Vanilla think their shit is special. I never have I play for myself and don't care what the rest of you do.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I personally had much more fun during vanilla and BC, i guess this makes me an elitist scum for many guys here.
    Not really, from what I remember of vanilla shit took longer and there was more downtime so I assume everyone feels it was better cause when you actually found something to do it was memorable.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    I love the raiding mechanics nowadays. My 2 major complaints are the community destroying LFR and LFG. If they got rid of those i would love the game much more than i do now.
    I think this mentality is whats causing the community to suck worse than it has ever before to be honest. Don't like LFR then stfu and don't do it. I play in a guild where they might be 2 others on during peek hours I don't want to join a guild full of people I don't want to know just to run something. All I do is LFR and LFD anymore it beats the hell out of raiding normally.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2012-12-14 at 05:34 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    personally I don't give a shit when you started. Playing for eight years means nothing new players can learn and be better than players who have been around since beta. I have no idea why people who have been around since Vanilla think their shit is special. I never have I play for myself and don't care what the rest of you do.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:22 AM ----------

Not really from what I remember of vanilla shit took longer, there was more downtime so I assume everyone feels it was better cause when you actually found something to do it was memorable.
    What's fun to me, may be not fun to you and vice versa. Don't assume everyone have the same concept of fun.
    Hell, thats the problem, people wanting telling me whats fun, and whats not fun

10+ Year Old Account
    What's fun to me, may be not fun to you and vice versa. Don't assume everyone have the same concept of fun.
    Hell, thats the problem, people wanting telling me whats fun, and whats not fun
    Whats that have to do with me saying your not elitist scum? Sorry, I forgot the comma after not really.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Whats that have to do with me saying your not elitist scum? Sorry, I forgot the comma after not really.
    Did you say that ?

Personally, I just liked the theme of TBC more. The quests for attunements felt really tied in with the lore of the game, and I was sorry to see such awesome stories thrown by the wayside, though not the gating so much. Getting an achievement/title from completing an expansive and potentially difficult quest-line when it was relevant was a nifty reward. I'm sure the people who worked to get the plagued/black protodrakes feel the same way, as well.

I have no issues with newer players, provided they can play their class- and if they can't, are trying to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you say that ?
    Your sentence ended with "I guess this makes me elitist scum" mine starts with "Not really," sigh.

How did the hipster burn his tongue? He tried to drink his coffee before it was cool.

Same principle applies here. Bunch of people trying to act like they are better because they started first and "know more."

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why people nerd rage when someone says he had more fun during vanilla or bc, this is almost a sin, i guess.

I had fun in long dungeons with friends who never gave up after few wipes,
    I had from from having to walk from Ironforge to SM with friends, afraid of horde in Silverpine Forest and Trisfal Glades.
    I had fun protecting Southshore from attacks of the horde.

This is not about raiding only, that's not about wanting to feel a special snowflake.
    Getting gear was not a priority, the priority was having fun with friends, exploring a world, defending your faction and stuff.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2012-12-14 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoon View Post
    As opposed to people who started after TBC, who don't know what they are talking about...?
    That's what they think.

Interestingly enough, the worst players (both in skill and mentality) are the players who started playing in vanilla or TBC. Sure, I'm generalizing here, I know quite a few Vanilla players who're excellent today too. Unfortunately, a lot of vanilla/tbc players believe they know it all and feel no need to read up a bit, or improve. "I play since vanilla don't need help ty" would be a common reply. I'll never forget the feral, who, since he played since vanilla, needed no help even though he had the worst spec and gearing and could hold no threat with subpar survivability. But, since he was playing since vanilla (as feral????) he knew it all, clearly.

I started in TBC also, by the way.

Anyway, back to the topic, WOTLK was heavily casualized, so to speak - everything was made a lot easier. I cannot honestly recall casuals being such a big issue (to the community) in TBC (though of course, it was, especially around Sunwell when the new valor (or whatever it was back then) vendor came from who you could buy quasi decent gear - just less so). That's where the term "wrath babies" come from, generally 'bad players' who started in WOTLK and got no motivation to improve whatsoever because everything was supposedly so easy - supposedly these players were cradled and handheld by Blizzard to free epics and never knew "the days" where "everything was harder/everything was an accomplishment/whatever rosetinted memory".

Edit: I need to clarify I really liked TBC and WOTLK to me was an abomination in how easy everything was. But, you know, the game evolved, so did I, and I got my heroic modes, and there's just content for everyone now. I see no problem with that. In WOTLK though the only complicated content you had would be Sarth3D for a long time, and it made raiders a bit bitter, I suppose, and started blaming the newer players for not being able to 'handle more' ("wrath babies").
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-12-14 at 05:49 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    People say we are the elitist, but they are the first to brag about their new rare mounts, their new rare pets, their ultimate raiding achievement, their BIS gear, their pvp ratings.
    Showing how big is your e-penis is much more frequent now.

This game was not about collecting mounts, pets, achievs.
    This game was not a big rush for gear.

Of course, many people like this, but i prefer the mentality of the old days, that i already said in my previous post.
    I still like the game and have fun playing it, but surely i had much more fun during vanilla and bc. Whats the problem on it ?
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2012-12-14 at 05:55 AM.

Deleted
    I do not converse with people who haven't played since classic, the supreme general's time is far too valuable to be spent on the inferior.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've played since vanilla and have never witnessed old school players bashing the new generation. I only bash players with bad attitudes. Unfortunately the addition of lfd and lfr have spawned some very nasty attitudes.

I wish more could have enjoyed the early days of wow. As others have said epic was epic. Dungeons, even low level ones required some skill and know how. People used to use cc every pull. Jerks were somewhat accountable for their attitude. People more often than not stuck together and finished a dungeon after a wipe rather than rage quite. Friends list grew and bonds were formed. That game is dead now.

I feel thankful I was able to experience Vanilla and BC. I still play with alot of the awesome people i met during those first few years.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Because the game was harder then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnudge View Post
    Because the game was harder then.
    Everything took more time, perhaps. I don't recall anything that was explicitly more difficult other than trying to organize 40 people versus 10/25.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterilize View Post
    Everything took more time, perhaps. I don't recall anything that was explicitly more difficult other than trying to organize 40 people versus 10/25.
    This. Everything took more time, but also, the mentality of the playerbase was another, there wasn't this desperate hurry to gear up, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Though some feel the sense of superiority, others like myself merely see the differences. We shake our heads at the masses demanding things not realizing how easy they have it. Here are some examples:

CLASSIC/TBC > WRATH +

1) Simple wood + Flint and tinder = camfire > /cast Campfire (no mats)
    2) Walk til level 40, spend 300g for one horse + Training > Mount at 20, everything under 10g
    3) Use Ammo and bag slot for hunters > Ammo no longer needed, hunters get 5 bags
    4) Warlock enslaves Drake and turns loose in Goldshire > Kiting takes longer and more technical
    5) No flying at all, then flight at 70 (Outlands only) > Flying at 60, extreme reduced price and fly everywhere
    6) AQ20 / 40 required 20/40 > Now needs 2-4 people tops
    7) Molten Core needed 25 people, took hours > Some Cata Raids completely soloable
    8) Had to level unarmed and weapon skills from 1 > Damage scales with level, no longer required to practice
    9) Only two ways to SW from Darnassus. Mage, or run > Boat drops you in SW instead of Menethil Harbor
    10) Mining, Skinning, Herbing had a chance to fail > Only fails when attacked
    11) Mine / Herb / Skin gave 1 of each item > New Mechanic and guild perk gives up to 7 of any item
    12) You had to LFG/LFR in town using Trade Chat > Click on LFG/LFR. Join.
    13) Grind to level 40 was running to SM daily > Grinding now done in Dungeons or questing
    14) You got a tabard AFTER you were Exalted > You bought a tabard to grind to exalted
    15) Ambassador title meant you quested everywhere > Ambassador title means you bought all the tabards
    Because things were more time consuming to achieve, doesn't mean that they're more difficult. It just means they're more time consuming and where I agree with some of your points (14, 15 and maybe 1) I disagree with all the others ore they're downright not true.

1. I partially agree as it makes a bit more sense, but you really don't want to be carrying around these items all the time to be fair
    2. Running around is just more a pain in the ass, it doesn't increase the game difficulty
    3. You know that for raids, you often carried handcrafted, expensive ammo in pretty much all your bagslots as the biggest pouches weren't sufficient for a whole raid
    4. So basically you're saying kiting has become more difficult
    5. Reduced price =/= game difficulty? You can't fly in Azeroth content (outside of cata content) when it is relevant
    6. Of course completely outdated raids will be duo-able or solo-able... It would be strange if it wasn't
    7. 25M in MC < 25M in Firelands or any other current raid which you can't do with ~60% of the possible maximum WHEN IT IS CURRENT CONTENT
    8. You know how annoying it was to level all those weapon skills? Yay, got a mace now, but can't use it yet! Again, not difficulty, just time consuming
    9. Improved ways of traveling is good as far as I'm concerned. Again, no difficulty but only a time consuming feature
    10. Why exactly would you want this? And, again just time consuming, has nothing to do with difficulty
    11. Not as long as I have had gathering professions, but I didn't have them at the start of vanilla. Might have changed among the way somewhere
    12. Yes, however this was implemented at the end of Wrath.
    13. Your point being?
    14+15 I agree, the way it currently works is stupid!

Now, all you're points basically prove that the game requires less time in order to achieve something. But outside 5m heroic dungeons and solo (quest) content, raid content is actually a lot harder than it was back then. The only real challenge in vanilla and BC was having enough time to commit!

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't personally begrudge players that joined post-Burning Crusade, but I will say that players that started during TBC or vanilla are more enjoyable to raid with. Generally they appreciate hard work more, are less likely to burn out or cause loot drama. If people were to just be honest with themselves, the players joining post-BC basically had everything handed to them. This isn't even me saying the work and effort you had to put in before that was better, but that players were able to appreciate better when they did get an item or down a boss. There was a sense of community back then, and real competition between guilds. You really have to look at the term "Wrath Baby" and break it down. The "baby" stuck because of players starting at that point essentially having things spoon fed to them, and not having any real idea what it meant to do something that took hard work. If you asked a lot of those characters to grind out their Frozen Shadoweave and Spellstrike sets, or farm materials for resistance gear with the guild to help their raid progress, you wouldn't get much of anywhere.

I don't miss the endless grind for resist gear and reputations or crafted gear, so like I said, I don't berate or have any particular bias against post-BC players; I do, however, know where I learned to appreciate things in the game more and have patience with other people over the years, and why I don't throw a hissy fit when I lose loot to someone because I have this delusion that everyone is inferior to me in some way. It certainly wasn't the first two expansions that nutured players into that behavior. Elitism used to come from high end raid guilds that to a small degree could say they actually were better than other players. Now every casual thinks he's better than the next player and spams Recount/Skada in party chat every 5-man boss or trash pull and berates the player that just hit 80/85/90 wearing half greens. And if you're a douchebag, there's no real social consequences for that - you will probably never see the players in your random dungeon or LFR again. Instead of being blacklisted by your realm's populace for consistent douchebaggery and paying for it via alienation due to having to farm parties on your own realm, you just queue up instead of learning not to be a douche the hard way.
    Last edited by Kelzam; 2012-12-14 at 08:17 AM.