Thread: Lock Leveling

Lock Leveling

I am rerolling a lock with all looms (head, shoulders, cloak, chest, staff, pants, and both trinkets) and was wondering if I should quest or just dungeon level. If dungeon leveling is better, what level do I do that up until?
    Also what spec, should I just go afflic and dot and kite like 5 mobs at a time?

Hi, I am in the same boat as you. I have found questing to be slightly faster. I did dungeons for about 2 hours the other night and got 4 levels. Then yesterday I quested for about 6 hours and got 8 levels.

And typing that out was the first time I realize, just now, I was actually getting better levels/hour in dungeons. But its up to you. It depends on your queue time, I did have a healer friend I was doing them with. The fastest I've found is WSG CTA. I was getting about 80% of a level per win, and on a win streak that's almost 3 levels per hour.

Unrelated - to anyone: what are the best professions? Tailoring and engineering? I'm leveling mine enchanting and mining and holding on to everything I mine to level engineering and stick with enchanting. Should engi gloves just be bound to anything to get used in cd? Is there a specific spell per spec?

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:56 PM ----------

To clarify on all of that: I'm currently leveling a warlock that is about level 40

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:03 PM ----------

Last edit: those 6 hours were at work which included getting up to help customers, disconnecting often, and a lunch break.

Yes it's a nice job.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    Before 85 : If you're not with guildies, just solo quest and always be in queue in LFD, so you can do as many instances as possible on the way.

85+ : from my experience, chaining group instances with guildies until you ding 87, then solo quest
    Last edited by mmoc79483d36b0; 2012-12-13 at 01:35 PM.

Deleted
    I'm leveling a lock as well. I wanted to try one ever since MoP with the 3 resource systems.

I'm doing a mixture of LFD and BGs. I've been destro so far, but was wondering if affliction or demon would be better for those two things?

In my experiences so far, destro has been better in lfd, where as demo is better in BGs with meta providing a good boost to damage.

Affliction just won't be good until Soul Swap I bet. Stuff dies too quickly at low levels for affliction to shine. Especially until you get maelific grasp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Unrelated - to anyone: what are the best professions? Tailoring and engineering? I'm leveling mine enchanting and mining and holding on to everything I mine to level engineering and stick with enchanting. Should engi gloves just be bound to anything to get used in cd? Is there a specific spell per spec?[COLOR="red"]
    There's not really better professions then others they all amount to about the same. Engi has the advantage of being on use, but that's at the same time aslo the downside cause can't use it with on use trinks. From beta I seem to remember that most profs are same, with Engi slightly better, and Tailoring slightly less, but not by much in either case.

If you are going to be lazy about it and bind it to something instead of being smart about it's use then bind it to Haunt I guess. You try to make as much use of your haunt as you can anyway, and channel as much MG in that time as you can. (if you are going Affli at or around max level)

For Destro I'd bind it Chaos Bolt, though you run the risk of using it when you are just burning of 1 ember before the big burn cause your DS isn;'t ready yet, pretty much wasting the cooldown.

For Demo, euhm, no idea, Demo changes it up so much, and is so reliant on Demon damage and other sources it's hard to point to 1 thing you can boost once a minute. Ideally you'd keep it ready to stack with all your cooldowns at once, every 2 minutes. No idea what to do if you tend to forget to use it in between though.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty272 View Post
    I'm leveling a lock as well. I wanted to try one ever since MoP with the 3 resource systems.

I'm doing a mixture of LFD and BGs. I've been destro so far, but was wondering if affliction or demon would be better for those two things?
    All 3 specs work and are pretty allround. Demo does better in dungeons, Affli does better in multi target pulls when questing, Destro works better in BG's, but all 3 specs do a fine job in all content regardless. In the late stages, 80+, the differences become even smaller, especially during questing.

I'd simply play what you like best and enjoy it all. Try to mix it up a bit in the lower levels and try all the different specs for some variation, then post 75 when you get the Grimoire talents start concentrating on the spec you liked best and experiment with the different grimoires for that spec, so you know what you can do with them.

I'm just used to my dk, there's a specific thing to bind I to. I'd assume that it would be best unbound (after reading the affdots and aff too hard threads) and popping it when other procs are up for refreshes. I like the little bit of affliction I've played, but I really like destro a lot. I'd probably hold it for burning a few embers / dark soul. That or I could just use the minim to level JC or BS the cheap way.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have been doing gathering professins on my server and will switch off between dungeons and questing. I run destro right now, just like the play style better than demo.

Deleted
    Demo seems to be better in dungones due to AoE with hellfire?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nipil View Post
    Before 85 : If you're not with guildies, just solo quest and always be in queue in LFD, so you can do as many instances as possible on the way.

85+ : from my experience, chaining group instances with guildies until you ding 87, then solo quest
    That is exactly what i would let others know with teh leveling process of a Lock, and make sure you are ALWAYS qued for a dungeon run in between your quests. I found Destro the quickest spec to kill, and also the most fun, imho. That burst comes in pretty handy. = ) GL to yas and HF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crusty272 View Post
    Demo seems to be better in dungones due to AoE with hellfire?
    It will be better for AoE I suppose. I prefer the play of destro better personally though.

Deleted
    I prefered Destro as well. I keep getting into trouble with random groups when I use Demonic leap and start to hellfire..

10+ Year Old Account
    Destro does actually have decent AOE (utilizing Brimstone when you can), might not hit as hard as Demo... but very very viable.

Deleted
    Once I hit 54 I will. Currently 35