High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Enhancement - Start - AoE damage

I need some input on something. During AoE phases:

Would it be better to save the UE for a flameshock on your main target and then spread it around?
    Or flameshock -> LL -> UE -> Fire Nova?

Wouldn't the 20% more damage from flameshock on each target be more of a dps increase, rather than just 1 buffed FireNova?

What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure the increased damage on the fire novas are much more damage when you are aoe'ing.

Did LL always only spread FS to only 3 targets? I swear it was all targets in Dragon Soul.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    Did LL always only spread FS to only 3 targets? I swear it was all targets in Dragon Soul.
    It didn't spread to all targets, but your second lava lash would give FS to other targets that didn't already have FS which made ENH AoE stronger for high health add AoE then for low health adds.

Deleted
    It all depends on the situation. How many targets do you aoe?

I just hit a target dummy for a 5,5k fire nova unbuffed and my flame shock dot did a 5,677 tick...
    these numbers are just examples, but let's assume that both do around the same damage...
    (flame shock will pull ahead with buffs and procs because of its higher scaling with spellpower
    and haste, but lets forget about that for now...)

Your Flame Shock will do damage every 2,8 seconds or so... for 30 seconds (glyphed) 5 mobs, 30 seconds... around 11 dot ticks.
    =maximum damage on 5 or more targets: 5x11 = 55x Flame Shock DoT damage after 30 seconds!

If you spread your Flame Shock to five targets and aoe them with fire nova every enemy gets
    hit four times: 5x4 = 20x Fire Nova damage
    Flame Shock damage catches up at 11,2 seconds, when every target suffered from 4 dot ticks
    for a total of 20x Flame Shock dot damage

If you use fire nova on 8 targets 5 enemies will take 4 hits and 3 enemies will take 5 hits from
    fire nova: 5x4 =20 + 3x5 =15 ->35x Fire Nova damage
    Flame Shock damage catches up at 19,6 seconds, when every target suffered from 7 dot ticks
    for a total of 35x Flame Shock dot damage

If you use fire nova on 10 targets 5 enemies will take 4 hits and 5 enemies will take 5 hits from fire nova: 20+25=45
    again, flame shock damage catches up at 25,2 seconds with 9 dot ticks on 5 targets...
    in theory Flame Shock almost always outperforms Fire Nova aoe damage after a certain time
    (obviously not above 30 seconds)
    i'd say use UE+FS for groups up to 9 targets, then you can spread the first buffed FS to all 9 targets and use UE on Fire Nova
    there aren't many bigger groups, but they probaly won't live longer than 20 seconds, so use UE+FN on bigger packs

oh, and i'm not sure at how many targets fire nova damage is reduced, but it could be that Fire Nova damage is already
    close to its aoe damage cap at 10 targets

yep! Flame Shock is that good and it even ignores those pesky 90% reduced aoe damage effects
    Last edited by mmocdc9a613e6e; 2012-12-13 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psir View Post
    I need some input on something. During AoE phases:

Would it be better to save the UE for a flameshock on your main target and then spread it around?
    Or flameshock -> LL -> UE -> Fire Nova?

Wouldn't the 20% more damage from flameshock on each target be more of a dps increase, rather than just 1 buffed FireNova?

What do you guys think?
    Use ULE right before you FN for boosted FN's, it will do more damage during AoE groups... it's not really worth using it for FLS in aoe packs cause they will prob die too quickly to get much use out of it. Also, I'm not sure but I think the ULE will buff ALL the FN's, not just one, so you will have like 4+ boosted FN's going off. And LL spreads FLS to 3 or 4 other targets each time, preferring targets that don't already have FLS on them, and it spreads the current FLS with it's current duration and does not refresh the dot timer.

You should prob use ULE with FLS for single target though.....it also works with Elem Blast.