Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need some help on 1 tanking Wind Lord

So we've been at this boss for only 2 nights, but I feel he should have died already by now. I honestly feel like it's mostly my fault. My shuffle uptime is horrendously low, and I feel like I'm having to clear out a Red Stagger so much. I think in retrospect I'm wasting Chi on BoF and maybe using SCK too much.

Normally I feel I do a good job whenever we solo tank stuff as our DK does a much better job switching to DPS than I do. I'm fairly geared out, but I don't think switching the DK in to tank will solve anything. The amount of raid healing guard does on this fight is pretty ridiculous. Switching the DK in would probably solve a lot of the tank deaths, but I think the healers would be much more pressed to keep up with the raid healing.

Granted a lot of the earlier attempts we we're having problems with CC's and whatnot. But here's 2 nights of logs.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-och1ysp71ro88zbb/ http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1fmvke29f5vyev5v/

And Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Pwnda/advanced

Is there specific reforging I need to switch to for this fight. Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Just 2 tank it, solo tanking will give more dps but not by a huge amount, have 1 tank on boss and other collect all adds, when boss tank has sufficient aggro(doesnt take long) then tank on top of each other, that way u wont die to spike damage and both tanks will be getting large amounts of vengeance for aoe, you prob gets the adds down faster but take longer on p2, at least this way there should never be a tank death.

Quote Originally Posted by wontonheroe View Post
    So we've been at this boss for only 2 nights, but I feel he should have died already by now. I honestly feel like it's mostly my fault. My shuffle uptime is horrendously low, and I feel like I'm having to clear out a Red Stagger so much. I think in retrospect I'm wasting Chi on BoF and maybe using SCK too much.
    If you (or your guild) is insisting on one-tanking, then you've just given yourself the advice you need right here.

My advice would be to not use Breath of Fire at all, focus on a high Shuffle uptime and gathering Gift of the Ox orbs when your health is low. Your Gift of the Ox usage looks a bit low, you could work on that. Using Spinning Crane Kick on that fight with the boss and 5 adds on you will generate a very high number of orbs (more the closer you are to hit/expertise cap) and combined with Expel Harm and Guard (all three scale with vengeance) you will get huge heals and huge absorbs. No Shuffle will probably = dead, and of course purify when you can.

Use Xuen for extra damage and Dampen Harm. And of course do NOT use Leg Sweep as it will break the other CC. Watch out on using Chi Wave so much if Shuffle is falling off. I mainly use Chi Wave to heal the melee during Rain of Blades. I think solo tanking this fight works well, phase 2 is actually more dangerous to me since there are fewer Gift of the Ox orbs to use. Can you not two heal the fight? Another dps will help the fight go faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wontonheroe View Post
    Is there specific reforging I need to switch to for this fight. Thanks in advance!
    Your haste is to low, I use 6200+ rating w/ Ascension and keep it there almost specifically with one tanking that fight in mind. The amount of Chi this fight demands is about on top of all other normal mode fights (Empress is up there too). As mentioned don't use BoF all of your Chi should be going into maintaining a near 100% Shuffle/Guard uptime and clearing stagger with all remaining Chi.

Since all of your energy should be going into KS + SCK you should have a ton of GotO orbs around. Watch health and when you get low hop over and gobble up a pile for full health. I basically use EH on CD even if I'm full health just assuming right before I hit the button I'll probably get hit again anyways. Your HPS looks good so I think you are doing fine. I usually end the fight at like 260k DPS and 35k HPS (the boss burn phase brings those #'s down from the crazy highs in the add phase).

We CC one trapper, 2 battle's, and 1 Mender. Tank interrupts 1 and we assign a rogue or someone to the other. Pull with Dizzy Haze (you can lob 3 to cover each pack before the 1st hits), Pop Fort Brew when the pack reaches you then get Shuffle/Guard up ASAP and go to town with your AoE's.

As mentioned you already identified the issues in your first paragraph. Shuffle/Guard uptime and PB'ing away high stagger should be priority one, things like BoF/Chi Wave ect are gravy if the previous items are squared away.

Off topic I went WW for this fight for the first time and cause a wipe when I got amber prisoned near the tank and stunned him =P Funny the things you don't or don't have to pay attention to as a tank.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Advice specific to you: Shuffle Shuffle Shuffle. Your uptime on this is way way too low. AOE DPS is secondary, especially if you cannot survive. Higher shuffle uptime will yield significant improvements to your livelihood.

Other info: Quickening uptimes are way too high. I didn't look at any specific attempts, but across all attempts on both logs, the boss and the adds had an uptime on quickening of 45%-51%. If you look at your deaths, Windlord was hitting you in upwards of 200k at some points, and blademasters were hitting you in upwards of 100k. I'm going to guess this is not normal, and they were buffed by quickening. I raid 25m, so someone else will have to confirm.

I'm not sure how to solve the issue with quickening as I noticed you do not have a priest in your raid. It looks like you have 2 purges available, so you may have to CC 2 blademasters, and stick one shaman on windlord and 1 on a blademaster. Hopefully others can suggest better solutions to this.

SCK doesn't really affect your chi generation.
    Don't use chi on breath of fire. You do enough damage already with sck and keg smash, no reason to get greedy.
    Purify red staggers only when it suits you to do so - for example, during rain of blades or when a healer is amber'd (either type). No need to clear it every time the stupid built in thing pops up, not with all your healers doing nothing else but keeping you alive.
    Make sure shuffle is always up.
    Dispel quickenings - very important.
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2012-12-13 at 09:21 PM.

I know I need to get focused essentially on keeping uptime on Shuffle. So is it better to use Xuen for the burst dmg, but won't he just peel off an add? Or is using the RJW better since it does a bit of aoe dmg while keeping up shuffle?

For quickening we were using a mix of dk purge (forgot which ability) and shaman purge. We had one of our shaman's DC, which we normally would use. I guess they just arn't getting enough of the buffs off quick enough.

Surreal, Is gemming straight Agi wrong? Or should I be going for more agi/haste since I'm only 800 haste away, I think I could hit that with a few gem choices. And yes, we had quite a few attempts where melee got me stunned, and even though I've died a million times to trash stunning me, somehow healers kept me up while being stunned for awhile since the melee couldn't click on me with all the adds on me, lol.

Thanks for the info so far, we have another night tonight to try again.
    Last edited by wontonheroe; 2012-12-13 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    RJW is good for that fight since it boosts SCK which is used a ton during the add phase, but Xuen is better for burning down boss at the end. Depends where you need more DPS. I can't remember if he can taunt these adds but hey that is one less beating on you for a bit at least.

Getting quickening off is important if not possible make sure to CC 2 of them instead of my suggestions.

This is how I'd gem/reforge: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/ghostlands/pwnda
    On the reforging go anything that is forged TO Haste go to Crit instead, and if you have any unforged Haste (legs I think?) forge that to crit until your down to about 6200. You might just try the 6700 haste and decide after if you had enough Chi then reforge to some more crit.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

If I was you I probably wouldn't even use SCK either. Unless you can time it really well it will effect your Chi generation. You might clip your keg smash CD for example or even cap out on energy. It's really not required unless you are wanting DPS rankings or something

As people have said concentrate on shuffle and guard uptime. Don't miss your keg smashes and don't ever cap on energy by using jab. These are the things you should concentrate on.

Remember that the lower your shuffle uptime, the higher your stagger will stack up. Shuffle should never drop during the fight. Period. It's 20% parry plus a ton of stagger, and is mandatory for you not dying. Also, use elusive brew if they get Quickening, to keep yourself alive until someone can dispel it. Chi wave is only worth it if you have a ton of shuffle time stacked up. Don't bother with breath of fire. I really like speccing RJW over Xuen on that fight, because it makes phase 1 a lot easier. I was seeing it do over 2.5 million damage every time I cast it.

Even if he improves his Shuffle uptime, would it even be feasible to one tank this with a near 50% average uptime on quickening? Assuming your raid comp cannot improve on quickening uptimes, I would really suggest you try 2 tanking.

10+ Year Old Account
    dispell the boss and adds

Alright, progress report. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hzk1qynayokppl49/

Much better survivability overall. I think I had only 1 tank death where I died first, and that was due to one healer getting frozen, while the other was running to brez another raider. I managed to get the LFR helm and better boots, and my haste is up to 6443. I do feel like my ability to do things a lot better/easier.

My shuffle time isn't perfect but most attempts I'm seeing a lot closer to 85%. Now a lot of our wipes are just on the healers dieing during the rain of blades and wind bombs.

I forgot to mention, we brought an alt spriest while our main spriest has been out of town. The quickening uptime was a lot better, but his dps was very sub par. Hopefully when our main spriest gets back we won't have problems anymore.
    Last edited by wontonheroe; 2012-12-14 at 06:21 AM.

The main thing I find that helps on this fight (and it saddens me to suggest it because it really is such an iconic ability, but alas) is dropping BoF entirely. Don't use it, ever. Instead pour all your Chi into BoK and PB.

Also, if your healers are dying to rain of blades, do everything you can to help them out: as in, make sure your Ox Statue is up and in a central location near the raid. You'll be putting out crazy amounts of Guards which help a huge amount on this fight.

Keep a close eye on your HP and every so often, side step into one of the two gigantic Gift of the Ox pools you'll have to the left and right of you. SCKing generates a ton of them and simply stepping into a huge pool of them will heal you to full instantly, so make full use of them to help your healers out.

That said, I'm just repeating what the others are saying. Focus on survival, keep Shuffle uptime high, and always use Guard on CD. Use PB on every Heavy Stagger (not before, don't bother purifying moderate), and you should be fine.

Now it just sounds like you need your raid to stop standing in wind bombs... :P

Stop listening to all the bad advices here. Use your Keg Smash followed by a Breath of Fire every time. It will cause you to generate alot of Ox gift orbs. What you need to do is move in a small circle to constantly pickup the orbs that drop. Use Jade Wind and SCK. I lived thru this shit with just rotating CDs. The more damage you do the less the healer has to worry about each rain of blades cause your Statue will give Shield to almost everyone. Shuffle is good but if you have to spend chi to clear it all the time... just use it to clear them.

Only swap back shuffling once a pack is down. If you're dying with 3 healers it means that the buff on boss and mobs are not dispelled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxJeng View Post
    Stop listening to all the bad advices here.
    I can't tell if this is a troll or serious post... Yeah our only two CD's are totally all you need to live through tanking a half dozen mobs and a boss. Just roll your face on the keyboard after that and wait for them to announce what loot dropped.
    [/URL]

Stop listening to all the bad advices here. Use your Keg Smash followed by a Breath of Fire every time. It will cause you to generate alot of Ox gift orbs. What you need to do is move in a small circle to constantly pickup the orbs that drop. Use Jade Wind and SCK. I lived thru this shit with just rotating CDs. The more damage you do the less the healer has to worry about each rain of blades cause your Statue will give Shield to almost everyone. Shuffle is good but if you have to spend chi to clear it all the time... just use it to clear them.

Only swap back shuffling once a pack is down. If you're dying with 3 healers it means that the buff on boss and mobs are not dispelled.
    So your main argument is that BoF will do more damage, thus put out more Guards on the raid, so the healers can focus more on healing you... Ok. Sure. Sounds good in theory.

Here's the WoL report for the current number 1 Brewmaster for DPS for Wind Lord Mel'jarak 10 man. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...?s=2837&e=3168

Go ahead and count how many times he used BoF. I'll wait.

Everyone uses keg smash on cooldown almost, how is that advice. As for using BoF only, it doesn't generate Gift of the ox procs because it's not physical damage, I don't really think you're qualified to be telling people they're giving out bad advice.

I normally don't use breath of fire because I need the chi for B/O kick and purifying.

Also, if I need chi badly (e.g. to purify a heavy stagger) I will use jab instead of SCK. It generates chi faster.