Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My contention with political correctness

Here it is again another person changing things for dumb reasons. I think this is where and why i start losing my mind. Its something so little yes, but what are we becoming. Are we not able to think for ouselves so we need to make sure people dont have to? How far are we going to go? The homogenization of society to make sure nothing can hurt us is getting sad. Whats next Santa is drunk because of his cheeks? No more of anything that may effect someone? We are bsecoming sheep in a heard of boring.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ensorship.html

I'm with you OP, I can't stand the carebear society.

What's wrong with him smoking a pipe? If anything, I think his severe obesity problems are much more alarming!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Unfortunately to some people, the comment that a tradition isn't harming anyone isn't good enough anymore
    They ignore the fact that tradition adds to the common human experience and creates solidarity
    Being that culture is the sum of all symbols in a society, this specific article refers to a sort of a war on culture. Tradition doesn't exist because of efficiency or effectiveness, so people will always attack it. I don't think revisionist censorship won't add anything positive to humanity besides eliminating the potential for stupid hurt feels in the face of the way things truly are.
    Last edited by Skizo; 2012-12-13 at 05:28 PM.

I say what I want. If people cannot bear to hear it, that's their problem.

Sugarcoating is an insult to the listeners imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I say what I want. If people cannot bear to hear it, that's their problem.

Sugarcoating is an insult to the listeners imo.
    Thats my point are we becoming a boring society without differences? Are we trying to make everyone the same? I feel bad for my daughter who will have to grow up in this. Ill make sure she doesnt miss out but how many kids will be censored to the point they dont know whats life ç

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's so little and insignificant why does it bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Thats my point are we becoming a boring society without differences? Are we trying to make everyone the same? I feel bad for my daughter who will have to grow up in this. Ill make sure she doesnt miss out but how many kids will be censored to the point they dont know whats life ç
    Some differences aren't exactly relevant, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Some differences aren't exactly relevant, however.
    My point isnt that they changed this but whats next? Is the red badge of courage to violent? Is the Tolken series to magical since magic isnt real? Is there to much anti woman writing in the scarlet letter? I mean my point is when is enough enough?

Christmas: A time of the year when people feel compelled to buy eachother Stuff™ mixed with the birth of the child of some entity people claim is their god, a guy who lives on the north pole and flies around in a sled pulled by reindeers and dressing up trees in your livingroom.

And to think whether there is a pipe or not in the picture would cause an uproar...

Happy holidays!

That would be a blogger... and blogger's have learned the sad sad SAD truth of all news corps - controversy gets hits, and hits make money.

This guy isn't believing in what he's saying... he's simply reporting an idea to get a reaction out of people and to get people (Like you OP) to LINK his blog to other web-sites to expand the number of hits he gets.

Congratulations OP, you're a blog-sucker. You bit into his hook, and you've just made him some cash. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    These books get edited over and over again through the years. Who is to say that it hadn't been edited already to remove the word "crack," before "pipe."
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

It 'oughta be true, ah re'd 'bout in the Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    These books get edited over and over again through the years. Who is to say that it hadn't been edited already to remove the word "crack," before "pipe."
    because we have the original poem, and crack did not exist when this was written.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    because we have the original poem, and crack did not exist when this was written.
    Was it "really" the original poem? There is no mention of aliens in the original poem either. So how can we be sure there weren't any there?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I despise the whole "politically correct" nonsense. Goddamnit, if I want to publish Santa smoking a pipe I'm going to publish Santa smoking a pipe, and anybody who wants tries to stop me from doing so is infringing on my rights.

Is it political correctness you dislike, or the fact that you don't think smoking a pipe is so bad and thus see no need to remove it?

I mean, what if Santa's frowned-upon hobby was getting an erection when the little kiddies sat on his lap? Would you argue against the "political correctness" for removing that?

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Is it political correctness you dislike, or the fact that you don't think smoking a pipe is so bad and thus see no need to remove it?

I mean, what if Santa's frowned-upon hobby was getting an erection when the little kiddies sat on his lap? Would you argue against the "political correctness" for removing that?
    But its an old story that has been around for many years and hes not doing anything illegal for an adult to do.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the poem necessarily needed to be changed, but I don't think it was hurt by the omission of the tobacco. Santa being a pipe smoker has never been a part of my personal vision of Santa Claus, and I don't think kids are going to see Santa any differently for not being a pipe smoker.

If they were changing Santa to be a skinny dude because fat is bad, I could see your objection because it changes the essence of both Santa and the poem. I could also see your objection if they removed Santa's reindeer because it was cruelty to animals or something. But the tobacco pipe is a complete non-starter.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-12-13 at 08:02 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

"I think these edits outweigh other considerations,' she added. 'If this text is to survive another 200 years it needs to modernize and reflect today's realities."

People need to stop thinking crap like this. People today have no right to change anything written in the past. If you want a Santa poem where he isn't smoking write your own poem. Not only does it violate the author's rights but it also denies people an insight into the past. Guess what, lots of people used to smoke a lot, how about we use historical context to teach about how things used to be and then you can say "we don't smoke anymore because its bad for you."

Give me a break, this isn't censorship, it's just an adaptation to a classic. Censorship is a rule against certain speech, to which I am whole-heartedly opposed. Some guy wanted to publish a book and doesn't like smoking, isn't that free speech in itself?