Heroic Wind Lord - holy DPS?

Completely serious question- is holy dps actually better than shadow for this fight? You have 7 targets, and holy chakra boosts mind sear and halo to outrageous levels such that you're out-dpsing a shadow priest. You also have a lot of downtime on heals apart from bladestorms, so you have decent utility heals as well.

On an LFR I did around 150k dps on that fight (mind sear multi, then swp/hf/smite when it's boss only.) On single target fights I do about 70k dps which is pretty reasonable considering my healing utility.

I realize this is probably the only fight this tier where this is possible, but has anyone tried this?

I think an issue might be that you'd be breaking CCs with Halo - you'd have to use Divine Star.. which could still work. Other than that I don't have any comments.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Well, the boss is usually pulled away from the 3 CC'd targets, so I can stand somewhere where I won't hit the CCs with halo.

windlord is not the only fight where holy can come close to shadow. try it on tayyak. standing outside of an unseen strike and casting divine hymn can be quite useful, as well. also, lightspiring in the middle of the room can save peoples asses if you get shitty timing with the transition and last unseen strike.

^ What does Divine Hymm or Lightspring have anything to do with DPS? ._."

Deleted
    I would argue that holy is better than shadow on wind lord (and a few other fights) assuming that you have equal gear (hard/very improbable to accomplish though since holy has 0 use for spirit, hit and mastery).

^ What does Divine Hymm or Lightspring have anything to do with DPS? ._."
    It's called utility, the only reason for a minimaxing guild to ever bring a dps priest in the first place.

yeah, priest damage on tayyak is so low anyway that the only thing we have is 'utility'. since there is no magic dispelling available, our 'utility' is our VE/offhealing and our mana hymn. on 10 man you can soak an unseen strike by yourself if you like to do that, but that's not an option on 25man as a shadowpriest. holy has massively better offhealing, and the same mana hymn. it has slightly worse mobility dps (you dont get instant mindblasts during the whirly run away thing he does on h), but it does have a strong 2 minute dps cooldown and lightwell/lightspring for healing.

depending on how long your raid takes to get the boss from 20% to 0% (the only place where shadow dps ramps up), you may end up gaining overall dps as holy, anyway.

literally, on my guild's first kill of h-tayyak, tons of people ended up dying to random shit/oom healers, and tornados. ended up pulling like an #80 rank after finally getting the boss down with maybe 17 people up, but the two locks were 18% above me and didn't even rank. it's just retarded not just how bad shadow dps is on pure single target fights like this, but how there's really no out-skilling this limitation one can do.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2012-12-16 at 04:28 AM.

I would think that well played shadow could out burst you during the 600% damage phases. I might test this out next week for giggles.

depends on how you time the enrage windows. shadow priests have at most 2 DP's and vampiric touch, and a holy priest can potentially have power infusion up for each enrage window. they'd both have mindbender, but i don't think either spec really has anything that boosts mindbender damage.

there's a log someone posted on the blizzard forums http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...655&target=178 where you can see that their hpriest smashed their spriest on boss damage, as well. their hpriest was going for twist of fate instead of power infusion, but PI would be more sensitive to changes in the spacing between enrage window even if it ended up doing more damage in theory. idk what type of strat they used for the boss, but i usually do 95-100m on the boss (as shadow) when we do this fight.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2012-12-16 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    depends on how you time the enrage windows. shadow priests have at most 2 DP's and vampiric touch, and a holy priest can potentially have power infusion up for each enrage window.

there's a log someone posted on the blizzard forums http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...655&target=178 where you can see that their hpriest smashed their spriest on boss damage, as well. their hpriest was going for twist of fate instead of power infusion, but PI would be more sensitive to changes in the spacing between enrage window. idk what type of strat they used for the boss, but i usually do 95-100m on the boss (as shadow) when we do this fight.

Hi, that was me. We've been talking about this at some great length over on HowToPriest. A few notes:

1) I tried using PW: Solace instead of Mindbender to get mana back (spamming PW: Solace when he was taking 600% damage), but my DPS dropped like a rock.
    2) Dispelling saps mana pretty quickly, so our SPriest was doing it primarily and I was helping when blades would go out.
    3) If the other SPriest and I were both dispelling the same (not considering mana issues), our Overall DPS would have been similar BUT damage to the adds by me would have been lower, meaning it would have taken longer to kill the adds to get to burn phases. I think this is a good strategy overall if you can hack it.

I tried a few different gear setups but settled on:

Int > SP > Crit > Haste > Spirit >>>> Mastery

Lower haste means I don't OOM as much. Anecdotal, but, I think Crit > Haste did more damage than Haste > Crit IN THIS INSTANCE.

I have a video of it, too, for those interested:

@TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

yeah... i can't imagine solace being worthwhile with how much damage mindbender does during the debuff phase. the way my guild does the fight is we just focus down the boss to 80% while the tank and melee cleave everything, then we swap to polish off the adds and lust after the first set of adds dies. we leave quickening up during the enrage phases so the tank has extra vengeance to both pump into the boss as well as help start on the next set of adds. repeat twice and boss is dead, and the tank is doing almost a million dps.

i have really not been happy with shadow after MSV. we're mechanically so much more limited than the other ranged dps classes. makes me feel somewhere between a sandbag and a mana pot (mass dispelling for the disc priests, and mana hymning when needed). annoyed how dps shaman heal more with their AG than we do with VE because they can use dps cooldowns with it. and to top it all off all our buffs can be covered by hunter pets -.-