Page 1 of 27
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Outrage over Police Shooting *Warning*

This police officer was cleared today after killing a suspect last year. Obviously the Officer is innocent as he did what he was trained to do, but I do think he was a bit excessive.
    It's good for people to see how dangerous it is for cops, and they things they have to deal with on a regular basis. My grandfathers were both good cops and had plenty of stories to tell, as well as several close encounters. People on this forum always bash cops but this video shows how heated and spontaneous these types of events usually are.

One day after prosecutors in the Central Valley cleared a police officer in the fatal shooting of a parolee, attorneys for the man's family released graphic camera footage showing the officer firing 11 bullets into the man, including several that hit him in the back as he rolled on the ground.

Police in Manteca (San Joaquin County) say the officer opened fire after seeing a knife in the man's hand as the suspect got out of a pickup truck, and that a knife was later found in the bed of the vehicle. The family's attorneys countered that the man had been unarmed and trying to surrender when he was shot.

The video is somewhat graphic though, so you have been warned.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...ng-4113400.php
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-12-13 at 10:42 PM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Choose the two appropriate actions for when an officer says "hands up, don't move!"

A) put your hands up
    B) don't move
    C) jump out of your truck holding a knife
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are we outraged about an Officer protecting himself and by extension, others?

I'd be upset (like that lady was) (who wouldn't be mad if their friend got shot) but I don't think the officer could have been any clearer to not move, to put hands up. He said "I WILL SHOOT YOU, DO NOT MOVE" and so the guy jumps out of the truck looking crazy.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Why are we outraged about an Officer protecting himself and by extension, others?
    BECAUSE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE DENSER THAN IRIDIUM THIS IS A SARCASM WARNING

Because all cops are power hungry assholes with a superiority complex who love to abuse their position of authority over the masses of well behaving, never ill-intentioned decent folks of the USA.

Did I miss anything?

Now, I don't know if 11 shots is excessive or not, as you always behave differently when adrenaline is pumping and your life is moving at lightning speed, but I don't see anything wrong with what happened. He felt his life was in danger, he neutralized the threat.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2012-12-13 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Because all cops are power hungry assholes with a superiority complex who love to abuse their position of authority over the masses of well behaving, never ill-intentioned decent folks of the USA.

Did I miss anyhting?
    Settle down Ice Cube.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account

Did I miss anyhting?
    They hate dogs.

15+ Year Old Account
    They hate dogs.
    Those bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm okay with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not, but some people in the community are. They think he should have waited to see what was in his hands, even though the officer apparently saw a knife or a similarly shaped metal object.

I don't see anything wrong here. The guy got out of the truck after being told to NOT GET OUT and was TOLD he would be shot.

The guy was dumb. I have no clue how I or anyone would react in the same situation so maybe 11 shots were necessary? Who knows.

IRL Working as intended. No patch notes on fixes yet.

Aveline's amazing work!

Obviously the officer got scared and lost his composure, shooting him that many times. Let's try to only disable people with a single shot the next time we shoot some guy. Although he was incredibly stupid jumping around like a madman with a knife in his hands when the officer warns him like that.

The officer is in the right, but could have handled it better.
    No Screenshot. No Signature. From WMV or Ingame. Make it big.

Watch me create signatures on Youtube here - Watch my signature gallery here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    pow pow pow pow.... did he really just unload his entire mag into a guy carrying a knife ? I knew 'muricans were scared people, but this is just plain retarded.
    Why not? Bullets are cheap, stab wounds are not.

the article headline claimed "furor" over this. while tragic, what did the cop do to cause outrage here? sorry, but jumping out of a vehicle wielding a knife at a cop that has a gun trained on you gets you a darwin award imo

15+ Year Old Account

Did I miss anything?

Now, I don't know if 11 shots is excessive or not, as you always behave differently when adrenaline is pumping and your life is moving at lightning speed, but I don't see anything wrong with what happened. He felt his life was in danger, he neutralized the threat.
    Gotta love those sweeping generalizations...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferis View Post
    Obviously the officer got scared and lost his composure, shooting him that many times. Let's try to only disable people with a single shot the next time we shoot some guy. Although he was incredibly stupid jumping around like a madman with a knife in his hands when the officer warns him like that.

It's extremely hard to determine when a target is truly incapacitated. Also, the officer was likely carrying a 9mm. Any man who's fighting for his life can easily shrug off a 9mm bullet and continue fighting. Hell, if you're on meth, you can take several bullets before you go down.

A dead criminal is better than a dead officer.

10+ Year Old Account
    as much as i despise cops, i think the oinker was in the right. he told the foo not to move. dumb shit did the exact opposite. the pig even said that he'd shoot if he moved. warned him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferis View Post

Officers never shoot to warn, or aren't supposed to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's unprofessional. One single shot would've been enough to take him down, in the shoulder or even in the gut if need be. There's a few meters in between him and the suspect, therefor this many shots is nothing short of excessive force. But from what i keep reading, hearing and seeing this is the norm in the United States.
    No it is not unprofessional. We are taught to neutralize a threat when we fire. We do not fire to disable, we fire to kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's unprofessional. One single shot would've been enough to take him down, in the shoulder or even in the gut if need be. There's a few meters in between him and the suspect, therefor this many shots is nothing short of excessive force. But from what i keep reading, hearing and seeing this is the norm in the United States.
    It's not really the norm, but it is what happens whenever a suspect makes a threatening gesture at a cop with a gun. Happens a lot in a country the size of the EU.