Help my Paladin friend (Holy)

Hello MMO-C,

I play a warrior tank in a 10 man guild, downed several heroics and looking to get some more kills. We, generally, have competent players in the guild that pull good numbers. However, at this moment, I would like to direct the paladin community to my RL friend who plays a holy paladin.

Throughout this whole expansion, he has only been a healer and ALWAYS looked for haste on gear and totally disregarded mastery. I look on worldoflogs and also on forums and it seems the general consensus is to reforge/gear into mastery rather than haste. Last I chekced WoL, i believe 90%, if not more, of the holy paladins go for mastery.

Now don't get me wrong. My friend heals very well and people stay alive and the raid downs bosses and he is very competitive on the meters...but could he be doing a lot more?

His argument is that heals come out so slow, his playstyle is not good for mastery, it would be really hard to focus heal (ie. garalon kiter/tank or windstep debuff on heroic) if he didnt have all his haste. He did say as gear level goes higher, haste is the way to go and that mastery is superior for lower ilvls.

I don't know anything about holy paladin. So I can't really have a definite discussion with him.

Is haste build viable? or is mastery the clear way to go?

Is he right? is mast

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    With the way mana is right now mastery is generally favoured as it gives a bigger return on the amount of healing done vs the amount of mana used. Haste will give you higher heals per second generally but will lead to greater issues with mana if you are not careful about managing mana effectively. What sort of raid progression have you got out of curiosity? If he is not having issues with mana management and it works for his playstyle then Haste is ok though mastery does have a slightly higher value.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...adin-Guide-5-0 this guide gives a nice break down in section 5 on stat weighting. Haste is just behind mastery but not by much and there are a lot of varying factors in the stat values, such as raid buffs.

I often find myself thinking "zomg cast faster dammit!" when aoe healing or trying to catch someone on low hp before they die. I have a primarily mastery build.
    Last edited by Splatter; 2012-12-14 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    With the way mana is right now mastery is generally favoured as it gives a bigger return on the amount of healing done vs the amount of mana used. Haste will give you higher heals per second generally but will lead to greater issues with mana if you are not careful about managing mana effectively. What sort of raid progression have you got out of curiosity? If he is not having issues with mana management and it works for his playstyle then Haste is ok though mastery does have a slightly higher value.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...adin-Guide-5-0 this guide gives a nice break down in section 5 on stat weighting. Haste is just behind mastery but not by much and there are a lot of varying factors in the stat values, such as raid buffs.

I often find myself thinking "zomg cast faster dammit!" when aoe healing or trying to catch someone on low hp before they die. I have a primarily mastery build.
    We are 3/6HC, 1/6, HC, 4/4. He never complains about mana. If that's the case, I guess it's ok.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If it isn't broken, don't fix it :P Unless his healing is lagging behind or he is having mana issues there isn't really a reason to worry. As gear levels get higher spirit and mana regen go up as well and can handle the mana use of a haste build far more effectively. So long as he is competitive with the other healers I wouldn't be worrying about it too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    If it isn't broken, don't fix it :P Unless his healing is lagging behind or he is having mana issues there isn't really a reason to worry. As gear levels get higher spirit and mana regen go up as well and can handle the mana use of a haste build far more effectively. So long as he is competitive with the other healers I wouldn't be worrying about it too much.
    I agree, if it's not his healing holding you back on kills and he's having no mana issues there's no reason to worry about it.

Personally I'm quite enjoying going mastery this expansion, at the end of an average fight illuminated healing is top 3 of healing done for me.