Brewmaster parry and dodge question

I just hit 90 and am only rocking a 442 ilevel and I have red numerous sights saying these stats are lowest on priority list but I feel like I am taking too much damage cuz they are low. My dodge and parry at roughly 8.5%. Is this too low to start tanking as I have tanked a about 6 and only had one person complain. Just wanted alittle info/thoughts as I know they will get better with gear

you don't want to gem, enchant (unless you can't get the good wrist enchant), or reforge to either dodge or parry. Ever. You get them higher by increasing haste and crit so you can have higher uptime of shuffle (+20% parry) and elusive brew (+30/35% dodge).

You need to go for haste and lots of it so that you can keep shuffle up while weaving in guard and your other abilities.

Shuffle and Elusive take care of your dodge and parry. My dodge is at 13% from agi and my parry is at 8 and i take almost no damage. I have 5.5k haste, i could probably lose about 1000 haste, but i like the extra haste, makes combat flow better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    you don't want to gem, enchant (unless you can't get the good wrist enchant), or reforge to either dodge or parry. Ever. You get them higher by increasing haste and crit so you can have higher uptime of shuffle (+20% parry) and elusive brew (+30/35% dodge).
    I know this i guess more my question is keeping everything up how do I stop the damage cuz on some pulls before my healer gets to heal I am already at like 25% hp like 2 seconds after guard goes down

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    I know this i guess more my question is keeping everything up how do I stop the damage cuz on some pulls before my healer gets to heal I am already at like 25% hp like 2 seconds after guard goes down
    I assume you're talking about Heroics, so here's some handy tips:

1) Leg Sweep. Leg Sweep LOTS. It's your best friend. Use it as soon as you can hit everything with it, and use that stun time to get your Guard + Shuffle up (and if DPS is competent, one mob can be focussed down close to almost dead by the time that long stun wears off).

2) Clash. It's your second best friend. It's a skill-shot crowd control, in that because it pulls your targetted enemy towards you while you charge you need to work out the best mob to use it on (hint: target a caster, ranged pull with Dizzying Haze, then as the melee starts to run to you Clash the caster while he stands there with his hands glowing. He'll rush in to you right as the melee mobs arrive, stunning everything in a blaze of boss-like glory).

3) Pre-place your Ox Statue in the middle of packs. It can take a bit of a beating, and it aggros mobs by proximity. Thus, everything rushes to clump around your statue while you're running in, so you can saunter into the middle of them and lay down the righteous law with a Leg Sweep before you even get scratched.

4) Grapple Weapon. IF THERE ARE ANY MISTWEAVERS OR WINDWALKERS READING THIS, TAKE NOTE! Disarms are balls-out amazing on mobs that hit like trucks, because it effectively neuters their damage output for 8 seconds. Grapple is ranged, with a travel time. It's super-awesome in that regard, because it won't aggro until the spear hits the mob, meaning you can use it while you're running in without fucking up your preferred positioning. In addition, if you use it when running forward, you'll maximise the effective time of the disarm because it'll usually hit the big nasty right as you come into melee range of him.

5) If all else fails, kite. We auto-slow pretty much everything due to Dizzying Haze (both from the spell and from Keg Smash). If you get in trouble, roll away - you can hold your backpedal key and hit roll and you'll escape faster and more effectively than a Disengaging hunter. It may chafe you a bit to not be in the thick of things taking the brunt, but if it saves your life then it saves your life.

6) Try out the Breath of Fire glyph. It may not seem very awesome when you think of the slightest bit of damage breaking the disorient (ie the disorient itself usually lasts only a fraction of a second) but the real beauty of it comes from the fact that it's an instant AoE interrupt that also catches things which are immune to regular interrupts. I'm talking about things like those whirlwinding mobs in Mogu'shan Palace, both the melee and the fire-caster variety - you can't interrupt those normally, and they hurt a lot, but if you throw out a BoF when they start spinning the disorient breaks the channel, thus negating the ability entirely.

7) Don't forget to use your cooldowns! If there's a trash pack that hits really, really hard, go ahead and Fort Brew it. Use Dampen Harm/Diffuse Magic liberally. You don't really need to save them for bosses (maybe Harlan, he tears fresh tanks a new arsehole).

8) Most importantly: Never, ever, ever, ever sacrifice your Shuffle buff for more BoFs (at least until you overgear the content you're running, and you sneer at everything's inability to hurt you). AoE damage is nice, but a living tank is much nicer. Keeping your Shuffle rolling without falling off is priority number 1!
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    4) Grapple Weapon. IF THERE ARE ANY MISTWEAVERS OR WINDWALKERS READING THIS, TAKE NOTE! Disarms are balls-out amazing on mobs that hit like trucks, because it effectively neuters their damage output for 8 seconds. Grapple is ranged, with a travel time. It's super-awesome in that regard, because it won't aggro until the spear hits the mob, meaning you can use it while you're running in without fucking up your preferred positioning. In addition, if you use it when running forward, you'll maximise the effective time of the disarm because it'll usually hit the big nasty right as you come into melee range of him.
    You can macro this in with Provoke as BrM, if your going to taunt something you might as well disarm them too. Doesn't work on bosses of course but doesn't cause the macro to fail either.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

8) Most importantly: Never, ever, ever, ever sacrifice your Shuffle buff for more BoFs (at least until you overgear the content you're running, and you sneer at everything's inability to hurt you). AoE damage is nice, but a living tank is much nicer. Keeping your Shuffle rolling without falling off is priority number 1!
    BoFs?

Just asking because I'm just starting to get into the BrM tanking and have a hard time between constantly keeping Shuffle up, along w/ Guard and using PB. Guessing I shouldn't clear as much as I do w/ PB to try and keep the chi up and use for Shuffle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wushin View Post
    Just asking because I'm just starting to get into the BrM tanking and have a hard time between constantly keeping Shuffle up, along w/ Guard and using PB. Guessing I shouldn't clear as much as I do w/ PB to try and keep the chi up and use for Shuffle?
    Depends on your gear, armory link? Early on you wont have much haste and your chi generation will suffer. I would suggest sticking to Power Strikes over Ascension if that is the case.

Shuffle should be your # 1 priority, +20% Parry/Stagger rarely makes sense to do without while tanking. Try to use Guard on CD as practice (without dropping shuffle) and later learn the timing specific to certain fights. In general just use PB when stagger hits Moderate/Heavy, light stagger is basically covered by hots/self heals.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Been doing heroics with my Monk a bit also.

On trash I usually throw 1/2 Dizzying Brew at the pack and then go with Keg > BOK > TP > Jab(Power Strike!)+Guard and after that do a Leg sweep so you can get Shuffle rolling with more BoKs during the stun period.

I started out with like 2.4k haste in heroics and felt really slow and had a hard time keeping up Shuffle at the start of a fight, now I'm at 4.5k-ish and it's pretty smooth, still going for more until I know I am energy capping.

Monks do have very low passive avoidance, however since we basically get 50/55%(4pc) passive avoidance in combat through Shuffle and Brew, combined with the Stagger damage reduction, monks really do not take that much damage, and are really good for physical damage fights.

My advice is just to get more and more haste and gem/enchant Agility wherever possible along with reforging other stats to Hit/Exp so your Keg smash doesn't get parried, which sucks a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    3) Pre-place your Ox Statue in the middle of packs. It can take a bit of a beating, and it aggros mobs by proximity. Thus, everything rushes to clump around your statue while you're running in, so you can saunter into the middle of them and lay down the righteous law with a Leg Sweep before you even get scratched.
    !
    A question unrelated to the topic, but more about the Ox statue here. Would using the taunt on the statue work for raid adds? For example, Tayak's? I one tanked him last night and the first few seconds were really tense. I was wondering if using the statue to soak some aggro would be a viable strat so I can buy time to get some Shuffle before tanking them all.