Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My glasses are NEVER clean

Anyone else wear glasses and have to constantly clean them, only to notice that they're dirty again like half an hour later? It's like they're a dust magnet! Even when I use the spray and wipe them down, they're dirty in no time.
    Also, anyone have a good solution?

wash your face once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    Anyone else wear glasses and have to constantly clean them, only to notice that they're dirty again like half an hour later? It's like they're a dust magnet! Even when I use the spray and wipe them down, they're dirty in no time.
    Same problem here, I think it's pretty common.

In my case it's caused by dandruff. It might stay clean for a few minutes only.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Only solution I can think of that worked for me was getting contacts...sadly, glasses are just constantly dusty. I had them for years and I know exactly what you mean. Hence why I now use contacts. But I suppose if you can't get contacts because of an allergy or how your eyes react to them...the only thing that worked well for me was when I would take glasses cleaner spray or glass cleaner wipes and spray that on there. You could also try using those cloths that people use to wipe down their car windows...they are like micro-fiber I believe...many auto-parts stores sell them in their store. But they are designed to be lint free. If you use those to wipe down your glasses with a little bit of glasses cleaner spray it might help keep them clear for a few more hours than just the one. Part of why you may get so much dust attracted is you are using something that has lint on it and it clings to the surface of your glasses making it into even more of a dust magnet than normal glass.

Also, never use your shirt or your breath on your glasses. It just doesn't do anything hardly and will cause them to be dirty almost instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by kcolraWertex View Post
    wash your face once in a while
    The lenses should never even touch your face, so that really isn't a valid concern. My guess is your office / school is dusty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using the correct cleaners is key for me. I use dish washing soap or specific lens wipes for my glasses.

Something that does not leave a residue behind, as particles will attach more to the residue rather than the glass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm obsessive about cleaning mine.

Part of the issue is that my eyelashes brush the lenses, the other part is that I frequently fatfinger my lens when I'm pushing them up my nose or adjusting them on my face, leaving fingerprints.

Using a microfibre cloth will help a lot, and occasional soap and hot water. I find that using a tee shirt as most people do usually just relocates the oil around the lens rather than actually removing it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

hahahahahaha

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:11 AM ----------

same here with my glasses

10+ Year Old Account
    Take them into the shower with you once a week. Soap them up when you soap yourself and rinse thoroughly. For really dirty glasses, use dish soap. It'll break up the body oils that coat the frame and lens. To spot clean outside of that, use a microfiber cloth. The techs in your optometrist's office will probably give you one for free or maybe charge you a couple bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    My solution was LASIK. Worked like a charm. Now I never have to clean my glasses.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-12-13 at 07:20 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a MAJOR OCD issue with most glasses wearing people I have met (myself included).
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    My solution was LASIK. Worked like a charm. Now I never have to clean my glasses.
    Then you don't have glasses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Then you don't have glasses.

And Bingo was his name-o.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that is life with glasses. Keeping a microfiber cloth handy is what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    It is a MAJOR OCD issue with most glasses wearing people I have met (myself included).
    A few months back I purchased my first pair of glasses - I can't stand them being dirty. As I have OCD, this really just adds to the list of things that bother me on a daily basis.

Deleted
    I have the same problem.

Maybe surgery on eyes if it's possilbe? My friend had been wearing glasses until 9th grade in school. After surgery he don't need them anymore even lenses. But this is very dependent on problem.

Deleted
    I never ever use a cloth or paper to wipe my glasses, even to dry them. I use Fairy and warm water to wash the glasses, then blow on them and they're completely dry. They stay quite clean all day.

Reason I don't wipe my glasses is that I have a partial OCD with them; whenever I'm about to watch a movie or TV-series, I have to wash (not wipe with a cloth) my glasses, even if they don't look dirty. If I kept wiping them all day, there'd soon be nothing left.

Incidentally, as good as microfibers are, they don't get rid of all grease, and grease is what makes shit stick to your lenses. Washing the lenses with Fairy or some similar product will on the other hand get rid of all grease, and you should find your glasses to be quite clean for a long time.

Wiping glasses with cloth or paper also has the added risk of having a small, extremely sharp dust particle scrape the lens. If you rinse the glasses first before applying the washing liquid on them, you usually get rid of everything that might damage the surface, and then you get rid of all the crap on them.

Starting to wash my lenses instead of using cloth/paper to clean them was one of those things where you pick up a habit and can't understand how you lived before. Much like using dental floss, another personal example.

Anyways, anyone having trouble with crappy lenses, try washing them thoroughly, blowing on them to get them dry, never wiping them, blowing dust and other crap off them, and see if that helps at all. It did help me anyway.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    so glad im not the only one with a glasses cleaning ocd, and hate when they get super dirty, but often times im too lazy to clean them until like I HAVE to clean them

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have an anti glare coating? The chief complaint about anti glare is that some of those coatings are a dust magnet and can be difficult to clean as they smear or smudge when you do try to clean it. IMO it would be best if you went with an AR that had a Hydrophobic coating put on top of it. This extra coating make it less attractive to dust and as it is hydrophobic, the cleaner solution you use will grab the junk and bead up which makes it easier to absorb into the microfiber cleaning cloth you are suppose to be using. If its just eyelashes and skin flakes just clean it 2 or 3 times a day to get it off. If its oil that smudges them; think about getting them adjusted a little farther away from your face. Hope this helps.