Deleted

Generic Gaming PC Spec Feeback

Fairly generic post. Have a spec for a gaming rig and would like some feedback, if anyone (more experienced than me) has a few moments I would appreciate input.

Goal: Create a gaming system (monitor too, but less the peripherals) for £1,000 (GBP). It doesn't need to be playing the latest releases at crazy resolutions and off the charts frames per second but should be able to give an enjoyable playing experience. In addition I am looking to try and 'future proof' it so that over time I can upgrade, I don't want to be left with components which won't support that.

Current thinking (although still need to squeeze an SSD in there somewhere):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£89.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.01 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£85.43 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£221.75 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.98 @ Dabs)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor (£155.09 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£65.99 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1001.47
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 10:14 GMT+0000)

trying to squeeze an SSD in there would be good, but other than an over the top PSU there is not much I would cut from that build, it is very nice.

Deleted
    Get rid of the optical drive, and use an USB for installing windows instead :[

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Current thinking (although still need to squeeze an SSD in there somewhere):
    If you're looking to squeeze in an SSD, here are the places you'd cut budget from:

HDD - Caviar Blue instead of Caviar Black
    PSU - Cheaper 500-600W version (XFX, Seasonic, Antec tend to be cheaper than Corsair but are still legit)
    Case - Can save ~$20 with a cheaper case.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    If you're looking to squeeze in an SSD, here are the places you'd cut budget from:

HDD - Caviar Blue instead of Caviar Black
    PSU - Cheaper 500-600W version (XFX, Seasonic, Antec tend to be cheaper than Corsair but are still legit)
    Case - Can save ~$20 with a cheaper case.
    I wouldnt drop HDD performance or PSU for an SSD that is just not comparable to dumping the 7950 for a 7870 Ghz edition. The performance of the 7870 is close to the 7950 and it is heavily overclockable.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I wouldnt drop HDD performance or PSU for an SSD that is just not comparable to dumping the 7950 for a 7870 Ghz edition. The performance of the 7870 is close to the 7950 and it is heavily overclockable.
    If you have an SSD, why does HDD speed matter?

Dropping the PSU to a legit 500-600W version does not affect performance in any way.

Sure the 7870 can OC up to a stock 7950, but the 7950 can OC up to a stock 7970. I rather keep the graphics performance rather than unused wattage or HDD speed.