Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I suggest running few heroics for upgrades such as trinkets and weapons. Your tank having tanking gear is also the easier option if you're not racing for ranks.

Considering the tactics that are already available for every challenge mode dungeon, none of the basic gold times require an exceptional effort assuming an acceptable group composition and good players. Maximize what you have since there is no reason not to, have a solid tactic to follow and it should be a matter of practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    That's just false. A 483 PvP is just as effective as a 483 PvE item these days for PvE. The PvP stats are just a bonus.

I don't think tanks or healers will struggle either. Our blood DK tanks them in full DPS gear and mana shouldn't be a big issue for the healer as you can sip a klaxxi amber in between every pull.
    You're statement can be as true as it is misleading, the only reason for this is you having picked the word effective which has little to do with stat-weights.

PvP gear is nearly the same budget as PvE gear, but the overall difference becomes bigger the higher the item scales.., which again has no relevance at all in regards to challenge modes.
    OP; You're perfectly fine to start on challenge modes, as others have already pointed out.., the biggest difference between taking gold or not, is the comp you run with as that is the single most important aspect next to being prepared with strats etc.

Best of luck

Deleted
    Healers will lack alot of spiritbased regen and tanks without actual tanking gear can find it hard to keep up. People overestimate how much of a dps benefit using full dps gear is for a tank when your entire damage is solely based on stupid as f*ck vengeance.

As a dps the only thing you lose is socketbonuses. Also, unless im mistaken, most pvp gear doesnt have stats such as expertise or hit, so you definitely have crappily itemized gear (in most sets atleast) - so you will end up losing alot of your highest valued stat while reforging to full expertise/hit.

Oh yea, from what I see in your responses so far it doesnt even seem like youll bother regemming/reenchanting your gear, so yea, good luck trying 'ezpz challenge modes' with that many wastes stats

edit: also, pvp weapons are just bad, as they only have one secondary stat
    Last edited by mmoc241f3fedf6; 2012-12-15 at 12:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    You're statement can be as true as it is misleading, the only reason for this is you having picked the word effective which has little to do with stat-weights.

PvP gear is nearly the same budget as PvE gear, but the overall difference becomes bigger the higher the item scales.., which again has no relevance at all in regards to challenge modes.
    OP; You're perfectly fine to start on challenge modes, as others have already pointed out.., the biggest difference between taking gold or not, is the comp you run with as that is the single most important aspect next to being prepared with strats etc.

Best of luck
    Thanks. What comp do you recommend running? I have access to a good Rogue, a good Warlock (me) and a good Blood DK immediately. They all have good amounts of PvE gear as well.

Having a good comp covering both buffs / debuffs and AoE / single target requirements for certain instances is more important than gear.

For gear, good trinkets, best weapon enchant, best racial and professions and as many sockets as possible is the best you can do.
    Last edited by Reolac; 2012-12-15 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Thanks. What comp do you recommend running? I have access to a good Rogue, a good Warlock (me) and a good Blood DK immediately. They all have good amounts of PvE gear as well.
    From memory, one of the best comps is BloodDk Tank, Warlock, Ele shaman, Rogue and Disc priest healing. This could be wrong, but im fairly sure its correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

People overestimate CM. They aren't that hard, control and cd usage/cc rotations are far more important than raw dps. Spec demo, stack up on dps pots (which you can use plenty since rogue covers most invis pots usage points with mass stealth), and fill one spot with class that can give Hero/BL. Then it's just practice and working out strats (or taking them from yt and tailoring to your comp).

they're good at the most difficult part of this game
    So they hardcore raid and are glad's, in that case getting gold should be ezpz.

You will be fine. If you're a competant pvper ~2K+ they will be quite manageable.

I'd suggest running:

Blood DK
    Demo Lock
    Combat Rogue
    Balance Druid
    Resto Shaman

If the first 3 classes are all locked in.

You've got Lock aoe stun, dk aoe stun, shammy aoe stun. 3 interupt + solar beam, earthbind totem, natures grasp, aoe druid knockback, good dk tank healing, good shaman CDs, good aoe dps, 2 dispels, etc

This comp would work really well and smash through CMs relatively easily.

Deleted
    How difficult would this be? I'm currently a fully Malevolent geared Affliction/Destro PvP Warlock with fully upgraded T2 weapons. I know items scale down to ilvl 463, so I'm thinking my gear itself is good enough. I am also competent when it comes to PvE DPS.

Long story short, how difficult is it to get gold in every challenge mode (to unlock the xmog gear)? Could I do it with a group of fully-Malevolent, but competent in PvE, PvEers? I know the PvP trinkets are a disadvantage, but are they large enough to hold me back from gold?

Thanks!

Any other advice for gold in CMs would be appreciated.
    I've just gotten gold few days ago on all of them and i call tell you that your biggest worry should be the setup of the group. as for the gear the difference is that some pve items will give u an aditional socket that would help alot in challenge modes. I really suggest you get a Blood dk + disci priest and to complement you, an elemental shaman (since he gives mastery+hero) + whatever you think is good for aoe - survival hunter/feral/2nd dk/mage (buffs such as crit), because the biggest problem of challenge modes are not the bosses themselves, but the trash. I'd suggest for you to go Blood dk, Disci priest, Warlock, Frost mage, Elem sham. All of you get flasks, feasts, inviz pots, dps pots according to your class and should start with the easy ones to get used to the damage on tanks and rotating stuns like remorseless winter + warlock stun + elemental stun with healer /tank cd's so that you can pull alot of mobs without dieing but ultimately saving time.

If you need a guide movie let me know, i found it from some blood dk from aftermath. It basically shows you where you should use all inviz pots, what mobs you should kill and what you should skip so you dont kill nothing more nothing less than the amount of mobs required for you to complete the challenge mode.

Hope this helps you abit, and gonna say again, even though there are few items that scale down less like epic hunter helm that scaled to 463 gives +10 more agi than the 463 version, the only difference bonus that you can get for challenge modes are the sockets, because the set bonuses are also disabled inside.

Good luck.

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 11:09 AM ----------

We got full gold in 3 days since we tried challenge modes only once before and realized with the tight raiding schedule we did not have time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    So they hardcore raid and are glad's, in that case getting gold should be ezpz.
    Yes, they are Gladiators, but not hard core raiders. Hard core raiding is a joke compared to high-level PvP. Being a hardcore raider and being a Gladiator are not even remotely comparable in terms of the skill level each requires rofl.

Please don't be so ignorant. -Azshira
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-12-17 at 01:01 AM.

Please keep in mind you're in the Raids and Dungeons section asking for advice. There's no need to make posts completely belittling raiding and starting PvP vs. PvE drama. Keep to the topic without insulting a large portion of the player base. Thanks.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Yes, they are Gladiators, but not hard core raiders. Hard core raiding is a joke compared to high-level PvP. Being a hardcore raider and being a Gladiator are not even remotely comparable in terms of the skill level each requires rofl.
    Ignorance at its finest.

Ignoring the PvP-superiority complex in the Raids and Dungeons forum, you'll find that Challenge Modes have a lot in common with raiding, almost identical skillsets are needed. Your composition and gear might make it easier, but they're all entirely possible with most group makeups as long as they make sense (have Bloodlust or equivalent, good AoE dps, good single-target DPS, a decent amount of AoE stuns and some ranged CCs). The hardest part is learning the specific strategy your group needs to use and executing it properly and/or quickly fixing any mistakes you make. Remember, you're not competing against other people, you're racing a clock to beat a certain time. An extremely skilled group of players could beat those times with any classes, but having more optimal makeups and gear will inversely affect the level of skill needed to pull it off. It's a different skillset from PvP, you're looking at executing a pre-defined strategy of your choosing (enough videos are out that you rarely have to think for yourself) to perfection rather than adapting to things that are thrown at you. Whether you think that makes it easier or harder is up to you, but it definitely is a different skillset.

Well you said more than a day or 2 ago you were getting a grp together and it would be ezpz, so, how many golds do you have now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Well you said more than a day or 2 ago you were getting a grp together and it would be ezpz, so, how many golds do you have now?
    We were able to get Gate of the Setting Sun Gold easily as well as Scarlett Halls. We haven't attempted any others. We got gold on both of them on our 2nd try (first try was just a scouting run.)

Deleted
    I have seen rank 1 gladiators fall off the platform more than most of the other raiders on lich king heroic. Being good at pvp doesnt mean you will be good at pve just like being good at pve doesnt mean you will be good at pvp.