Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for PVE sites for GW2 like elitistjerks, manaflasks, icy veins, etc

Hi,
    i just hit 80 and want to start pve. Is there any good site for guides and theorycrafting?
    Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    There isnt any, because GW2 does not offer end game PvE. This is a PvP game.

Except that it doesn't offer that either. It just offers casual PvE and casual PvP, with some hardcore (as in not sleeping much) mix of PvP and PvE known as WvW.

But poster above me is correct. Such sites require passionate members of community who like that aspect of the game building them as well as people who will visit them, keeping the advertisement money flowing and keeping the site online.

GW2 lacks both of these. About the only major fansite that is devoted to GW2 that exists and offers more then what is generally available is guildwars2guru.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-12-11 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shockftw View Post
    Hi,
    i just hit 80 and want to start pve. Is there any good site for guides and theorycrafting?
    Thanks
    You hit 80 and you want to START PvE? Bad news for you then, because I think it just ended. Seriously, Guild Wars 2 isn't really about endgame PvE progression.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

You can check their official website and a fan site called guildwars2guru. Or just google whatever questions you have.

Just read the comments above me, topic is about where to find pve sites - not your personal opinion about the game.
    Last edited by Ytlayol; 2012-12-13 at 04:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't the game that offers that type of thing.

There is pve in this game in the sense of dugeoneering and participating in events in the open world. Nevertheless it is harder to theorycraft because external add ons are not supported in the game to test things (e.g. no dps meters) and the way things are mechanically working is not so generally well understood yet (I might be wrong on this one). Nevertheless there are guides in the official GW2 forums and other sites (even youtube videos) based on user experience explaining a lot of stuff. Some of them are exceptional.

10+ Year Old Account
    The kind of min/maxing that warrants a theorycrafting community (like WoW) is simply not there in GW2. Theorycrafting often boils down to focusing on individual stats & performance, but GW2 is more about teamwork and proactive/reactive gameplay than trying to pull higher and higher DPS/healing numbers in order to progress.

Once you figure out what all stats do, all you need is some general info on common stats/builds, what to stack, etc...and you can find tons of that on GW2 Guru, GW2 Official forums or even here (look for un-official class threads).
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Game isn't deep enough. This would be liking creating a theory-crafting community site for Sonic the Hedgehog (I use hyperbole, of course, but right now the game just isn't designed to need this type of dedicated site).

None such thing. The game doesn't have 'serious' end-game PvE - this is evident when you look at the competition in PvE and content there is for PvE right now; there's none.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dungeons are not meant to be worked on for months on end and that's why you won't find a site like that. You will most likely want to adjust your secondary skills and/or weapons by encounter and with the plethora of content it would be quite an undertaking for someone to put together such a guide for every profession and every encounter in the game.

Xuval and kelevandros gave you the best information in that Guru or the Official Forums would be your best bet to find an "all-round" kind of build that you can adjust as you gain understanding of the weapons, skills and traits available to you.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    To the OP: That's just a reeaaaaaaaaaally fancy way of saying, "GW2 doesn't have any theorycrafting because there's no content that requires performance and no stats that require any thought."
    Yup unfortunately. This really should be a console game to be honest. Black Ops 2 is deeper in terms of theory crafting even lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    Yup unfortunately. This really should be a console game to be honest. Black Ops 2 is deeper in terms of theory crafting even lol.
    Targeting never works well with a controller.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The number one source for PvE infos is http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/

if you got to level 80 without spending much time in dungeons then you will find you will need to get rid of the glass cannon build and rebuild your character to have a bit more survivability. Especially if you try and jump into the fractals dungeons which would be the toughest dungeons at the higher levels.

Basically you can get by to level 80 stacking damage but that won't work from now on.

I suggest you go to GW2GURU because here you will get nearly no decent advice, just a bunch of 'lol no endgame' replies.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    And don't forget the chat... MMO's on consoles don't work. It has often been considered but there would be too many flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    And don't forget the chat... MMO's on consoles don't work. It has often been considered but there would be too many flaws.
    Targeting would go the FPS route, which has been solved on consoles. Aim your reticle at your target, implement some subtle aiming assist in order to make it a bit easier. As for chat, it would be voice based not text based.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    Targeting would go the FPS route, which has been solved on consoles. Aim your reticle at your target, implement some subtle aiming assist in order to make it a bit easier. As for chat, it would be voice based not text based.
    Wait so they basically made a cursor which you control with analog sticks? Christ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    they have auto targeting as an option, that being said i don't even target things anymore unless i'm on my mesmer because then i fucking have to...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    they have auto targeting as an option, that being said i don't even target things anymore unless i'm on my mesmer because then i fucking have to...
    It would work fine with melee since you simply treat the game as a hack'n'slasher, but with ranged attacks auto targeting would be nothing short of a bitch to deal with. Especially in high-pressure situations where you need to quickly direct certain attacks to specific targets (say...PvP?). The menus/interface were also designed to be used with a mouse, I can't imagine using the controller to navigate around my inventory...but then I've never played a console RPG so I dunno how they handle that. You would also need a keyboard handy to use the chat, which would mean constantly dropping the controller everytime you want to type something.
    This is why MMO's don't belong on consoles : /