Thread: Pooling

Deleted

Pooling

How much energy should an assasination rogue pool? If I stack around 70energy I often do 1 less mutilate during the Envenom then if I stack to 100energy. But If i stack to 70energy it feels like I have a better up time on the Envenom.

How much energy do you guys pool as assasination?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post
    How much energy should an assasination rogue pool? If I stack around 70energy I often do 1 less mutilate during the Envenom then if I stack to 100energy. But If i stack to 70energy it feels like I have a better up time on the Envenom.

Why would you have higher uptime by applying it sooner? I don't really follow your logic here. Pool until ~95 to prevent capping, except when you have enough incoming energy to get through your entire envenom uptime with enough CP to reapply it afterward. If you have VERY significant buffs up that will wear off in just a few seconds, don't pool. Either way, you should end up with the same net uptime on envenom; the point is to fit as many (and as powerful) attacks into your envenom uptime as possible, after maximizing that uptime (not capping energy, 100% rupture uptime without clipping ticks, not clipping envenom unless anticipation will cap).

Deleted
    Depends on if you are expertise capped, if not 70 will probably be fine. If you are, 90 would be better probably. Do keep in mind that this changes with haste levels.

Deleted
    Thanks guys

Deleted
    90 has been the rule in Cataclysm, and it's what I've been following in MoP as well.

And as Mugajak said, there is only so much energy you can gain. Using Envenom sooner or later doesn't change your uptime. Your uptime changes the moment you lose out on energy if you cap for example, or if you clip Envenoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Using Envenom sooner or later doesn't change your uptime. Your uptime changes the moment you lose out on energy if you cap for example, or if you clip Envenoms.
    Expect the second part of that conversation to go away when you get the 4P T14, OR in a tier or two when Haste gets above 12 energy regen after reforging/gemming. I'm already starting to be forced to clip Envenoms during Vendetta+SB when I've got Combat gems on (at 11 energy).
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

This topic was recently on EJ, as per that site (not my answer, just passing along the information):

"Just to clear up a bit of misinformation that seems to circulate around the forums: there is no inherent benefit to pooling. Pooling to 85 energy (or any other amount short of cap) before you Mutilate is 100% equivalent to Mutilating the second you have enough energy for the move. There is no magic level of energy that you want to always pool to.

The advantage of pooling is and always has been that it allows you to adjust the timing on your moves to be more advantageous. The benefit is entirely in terms of increasing Envenom uptime by spacing them out more, spending more energy while you have cooldowns or other buffs up, minimizing rupture downtime, and so on.

Hence, advise like "if your previous envenom has not dropped wait until it does or until your energy is in danger of capping before casting the next one" will increase DPS. Advice like "go into Shadow Blades/Vendetta with high (but uncapped) energy" will increase your DPS. Advice like "try to have enough energy that you will be able to cast two Mutilates during the buff before casting Envenom" will increase your DPS. But any recommendation of the form "always pool to X energy before casting Y" is going to be wrong." - Aldriana

Deleted
    Thanks of all the answers guys, will help me alot.

But sometimes I end up in situations where I got 6 ''combo points'' and 1.5 sec left on envenom buff with 60 energy. To get there I started my envenom around 95-100 energy and done 2x mutliates with procc from venomus wounds.

During these situations I don't know if I should do the extra envenom since I got the energy for it and the debuff is up. Or if I should let the debuff run out and right after that do a new envenom and start my mutilates again.

Reason why I let it run out sometimes is that it feels like it will be loong untill I can apply the next Envenom.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll take time, but it's not like you're missing out on attacks by not applying it earlier. Applying envenom after envenom drops = 2 more seconds of envenom than if you apply envenom with 2 seconds left on envenom. Even better, go ahead and mutilate! You hit 5 energy, your mut IS under the envenom buff, you hit 8/9 CP, possibly proc dispatch, wait another .5 seconds and just pool until it's next most convenient to envenom. This should also lead you (as energy levels rise) to lose fewer mutilates under envenom in order to maintain your rupture on target.

It feels slow, yeah, but well, that's our spec.

You can envenom with <1 sec left on current envenom buff and not lose any envenom buff uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post

Read this:

Quote Originally Posted by tavalus View Post
    This topic was recently on EJ, as per that site (not my answer, just passing along the information):

"Just to clear up a bit of misinformation that seems to circulate around the forums: there is no inherent benefit to pooling. Pooling to 85 energy (or any other amount short of cap) before you Mutilate is 100% equivalent to Mutilating the second you have enough energy for the move. There is no magic level of energy that you want to always pool to.

The advantage of pooling is and always has been that it allows you to adjust the timing on your moves to be more advantageous. The benefit is entirely in terms of increasing Envenom uptime by spacing them out more, spending more energy while you have cooldowns or other buffs up, minimizing rupture downtime, and so on.

Hence, advise like "if your previous envenom has not dropped wait until it does or until your energy is in danger of capping before casting the next one" will increase DPS. Advice like "go into Shadow Blades/Vendetta with high (but uncapped) energy" will increase your DPS. Advice like "try to have enough energy that you will be able to cast two Mutilates during the buff before casting Envenom" will increase your DPS. But any recommendation of the form "always pool to X energy before casting Y" is going to be wrong." - Aldriana
    TLDR: Pooling is a dps increase. Depending on your gear level, latency, skill, and personal preferences, you will pool to different points.