Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Young kids playing violent adult-rated games all day while unattended? Yeah, I guess that's a bad idea but it still ultimately comes down to bad parenting and nothing but. I mean, me and my brother shot nerf guns at each other for over 10 years, saw R rated movies like Die Hard before we were even 10, played some somewhat violent games like Goldeneye, and all that but I'd like to say we came out fine and won't be killing people at random any time soon. In fact I think being exposed to all that only helped me mature a little sooner. I also had good parents and I respected them and what they said, for the most part. This sick fuck killed his mother in the process which leads me to definitely think it was a family feud and he decided to take it out on a bunch of kids that had nothing to do with it in the process.

If anything, I think violent videogames can be good. I'd like to say the vast majority of gamers and aware that games aren't the real world and it can be a nice stress reliever when you get to shoot your buddies in the face a bunch of times without anyone actually getting hurt in the process. Case in point, I really don't believe this could possibly have any basis for being true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and the prophecies have come true:

http://www.facebook.com/masseffect

Look at the comments all over the FB site for Mass Effect. One bad journalist accuses someone of being the killer, that someone likes Mass Effect on FB and now its Mass Effect's fault that people were killed in Connecticut today.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Young kids playing violent adult-rated games all day while unattended? Yeah, I guess that's a bad idea but it still ultimately comes down to bad parenting and nothing but. I mean, me and my brother shot nerf guns at each other for over 10 years, saw R rated movies like Die Hard before we were even 10, played some somewhat violent games like Goldeneye, and all that but I'd like to say we came out fine and won't be killing people at random any time soon. In fact I think being exposed to all that only helped me mature a little sooner. I also had good parents and I respected them and what they said, for the most part. This sick fuck killed his mother in the process which leads me to definitely think it was a family feud and he decided to take it out on a bunch of kids that had nothing to do with it in the process.

If anything, I think violent videogames can be good. I'd like to say the vast majority of gamers and aware that games aren't the real world and it can be a nice stress reliever when you get to shoot your buddies in the face a bunch of times without anyone actually getting hurt in the process. Case in point, I really don't believe this could possibly have any basis for being true.
    Not gonna lie, I love gunning down bad guys in video games. It's a great stress relief.

But I also know that it's fiction and I'd never gun people down in real life. These bad guys have no parents, no lives, no loved ones, no self awareness, nothing. They are just pixels being told to perform a certain animation at certain times. Nothing more.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    Oh this thread again... Just check video below please...

8). pretty funny.

This one may fit now.
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Wouldn't agree with many that say video games or violence in media in general is the absolute problem. Don't think it helps, but it's not the main culprit. There was an episode of Criminal Minds that was based on this topic. One of the main guys was talking about how violent video games just worsen the problem that was already there to begin with. That's something I would tend to agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Oh and the prophecies have come true:

http://www.facebook.com/masseffect
    Well it's wasn't exactly hard to predict that there will be comments along the lines coming from a bunch of imbeciles on facebook.

The problem DOES NOT LIE WITH THE VIDEO GAME'S VIOLENCE. The problem lies with the parents that refuse to sit down with their kids monitor what they are doing and put the game in context and show the children they seem to just sit infront of that convinent machine that babysists for them that that game is fantasy and reality that kind of behavior is not acceptable.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    The problem DOES NOT LIE WITH THE VIDEO GAME'S VIOLENCE. The problem lies with the parents that refuse to sit down with their kids monitor what they are doing and put the game in context and show the children they seem to just sit infront of that convinent machine that babysists for them that that game is fantasy and reality that kind of behavior is not acceptable.
    pritty much this retarded parent haveing retarded kids takeing ZERO responsibility for them no discipline for when they do act up so they assume they can well...get away with murder i call this the "cupcake era" time outs and no spankings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

It's not like anyone who actually believes this would be able to force changes in game content anyway. The Supreme Court ruled that games are protected under the First Amendment after they struck down that California law one or two years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you don't own a TV, don't listen to much music, don't own a computer with internet access and pretty much don't go out in public nowadays, you're going to see or hear some sort of violence. It only influences people who don't know any better...people with mental health issues and those that just don't have much of a brain. I've been watching action flicks since I was a little kid. Love the old school Arnie movies, Stallone, etc. and still do...matter of fact I just got done watching Expendables 2 lol. I've also grown up playing violent games and listening to all kinds of music that talk about drugs, sex and violence. None of it really effects me because I know better. Humans are supposed to be intelligent. Some obviously aren't. Our minds are the only thing that really separates us from the animals and some people are just lacking in that department...so they do stuff like what happened today at that school. I feel bad thinking about how much potential those kids had. Total waste and right before Christmas. Damn shame.

I also feel bad for people who believe that games and movies are the reasons why people do this stuff. My Uncle has a closed mind like that and we're always arguing about this sort of stuff. He believes a game like WoW could actually brainwash someone and make them do things with "subliminal messages". I always tell him to think about what goes into making a game...or a movie or a song. I mean it's totally ridiculous. There's always some conspiracy theorist out there thinking up this crap or believing some dumbass show they watch on TV.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

15+ Year Old Account
    playing Call of Duty 2-3 hours a night and i dont feel the need to go on a shooting rampage

Deleted
    Blaming Parents is as wrong as blaming video games, though they have the best position from a preventing stand point, because they are close.

In my opionion, the truth lies more in the world we live in, the kind of pressure we have, how we can be lonley and detached even under hundreds of people, easily judged, cast out. The pressure to be good in school or you are nothing, paired with bad bad classes which are politcal und moraly build up not for learning effect and the focus on the paper in the end. One can easily feel without any power, and this, is a very very bad feeling, because Life itself is the expression of power.

We need to reduce the "artifical stress" (as lack for a better term, as an opposit of natural survival stress). A place for less succesful people, and not "get a job your worthless scum" "if you are not good in school you wont get a wellm paid job or none at all". "You are not cool enough to hang around with us, because you don`t follow brand/idea". All this negativity in our society (Low income vs jobless in my country(germany) for example, they want jobless to suffer more so low income has it alot better then jobless, instead of improving their condition they want other to suffer more.) The uneven distribution of resources, the negative fighting over it, it has to stop, only then massacre will be at a minium with a few really ill people.

Amok is an expression and product of our kind of society combined with the human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe View Post
    Seems like the media loves to point out reasons for the madness in todays youth. I keep reading and hearing the finger pointing of violent video games. I think its BS and do not buy into that. My opinion, very simple broken homes and family values.
    Excessively violent video games are known to cause people to have slightly increased levels of aggression in social settings, but nothing extreme enough to cause someone to go on a killing spree. In fact, cooperative games don't actually increase aggression and help reinforce cooperative and team building skills that are used in the real world.
    Also, violent games and shows don't actually desensitize people as much as people think. They are generally filled with what is referred to as "happy violence," I know it's ironic, as it doesn't show the implications of said violence and disconnects a person from the situation.
    In short, the only people who kill and play violent video games already have a predisposition to violence. It was even stated by some professionals in Europe that violent video games merely attract people with social disorders and rarely do they ever cause them. That being said, if you are in the mindset that video games and television are indeed like the real world, then what we see as socialization comes into account. This essentially means that you may begin to percieve these things that you see in games and TV as the norm and then develop social/psychological disorders.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Video games don't cause people to be violence. If a person is going to commit mass murder they're going to do it. Not because they played a video game that was violent. Just because thats the type of person they are.

A person must have a predisposal towards violence first.

Hitler played CoD 46 hours a week while growing up. The first friend on his XBLA list was Capone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you completely.

I for one play a fair amount of violent video games, and i cant recall the last time i did so much as hit someone.

Easy rebute to that sort of nonsense.

Video games didn't exist even 50 years ago. Humans have been extremely violent by nature for as far back as we can go.

Therefore, Video games cannot possibly be responsible for something that happened beforehand. Its like blaming someone for a murder before they are even born - its utterly stupid.

If anything, Video games seem to make people less violent as they get their anger and frustration out during gameplay.

The only thing that can be said in regards to violence and video games is that they are violent because we as humans enjoy violence.

Deleted
    The funny thing is that the traditional media like the newspaper never blame themselves, despite they love to publicise very detailed
    information about real murder/massacres that can be used as a guide and a source for "inspiration" Then we have the old cliche that killers methodical collect newspaper cut-out of there own crime.

In the old Greek, a man wanted a place in the history, so he did commit the most terrible crimes, but all the scholars of the time did say, we do not want to be part of this so we swear to never write about who he was or what he did, only that we was united about not to write about him. I do not know if it is true or only philosophy.

I support the freedom of the press, but sometime I relay want the press to take there responsibility and not cuddle in all the bloody details and the murders wicked "political message" the time in the spotlight is one of the prime motives of the killer.

Yes violence video game have a impact on the mind, and might trigger a mental ill person, but so can everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Easy rebute to that sort of nonsense.

Video games didn't exist even 50 years ago. Humans have been extremely violent by nature for as far back as we can go.

Therefore, Video games cannot possibly be responsible for something that happened beforehand. Its like blaming someone for a murder before they are even born - its utterly stupid.

If anything, Video games seem to make people less violent as they get their anger and frustration out during gameplay.

The only thing that can be said in regards to violence and video games is that they are violent because we as humans enjoy violence.
    Pretty much this. In all honesty, if I couldn't release stress by obliterating computer generated pixels in a safe and healthy manner, I probably wouldn't be as non-violent as I am.

Worst thing is that whenever a murder is commited by a gamer or a fan of rap or metal music, the media is all over it.

And completely ignore the much more common violent crimes of the highly religious.

Apperently fearmongers need that scapegoat, otherwise they can't get as much attention (i.e. money) from a terrified audience.