Is there a big difference going from 1280x1024 resolution to 1960x1080?

Hey guys! I've finally caved in and decided to get a new moniter. For the last 7 years or so I've been rocking a 1280x1024 limited 17 inch (or 19?) moniter and have now purchased a new ASUS 24" 1080p with 1960x1080.

I'm just curious is if the difference I notice going to be huge or breathtaking? Like I've said I've played 7 years with 1280 so it's all I really know. Also the specs for the rest of my system are pretty good. I5 2500k, good mb, 460 se gtx.. so kind of over kill for that lower resolution.

Deleted
    When you first upgrade it's stunning.

You'll get used to it after a while, but those first few weeks are amazing.

Games look fantastic, and TV and movies will be un-comparable to 1280x1024.

You might want to consider a GPU upgrade in the near future as well. The card will play the newest games at 1080p at a reasonable fps but mostly at low-medium settings.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    You might want to consider a GPU upgrade in the near future as well. The card will play the newest games at 1080p at a reasonable fps but mostly at low-medium settings.
    Yeah I should mention my current plan is to pick up a GTX 670 next pay check.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevie View Post
    Hey guys! I've finally caved in and decided to get a new moniter. For the last 7 years or so I've been rocking a 1280x1024 limited 17 inch (or 19?) moniter and have now purchased a new ASUS 24" 1080p with 1960x1080.

I'm just curious is if the difference I notice going to be huge or breathtaking? Like I've said I've played 7 years with 1280 so it's all I really know. Also the specs for the rest of my system are pretty good. I5 2500k, good mb, 460 se gtx.. so kind of over kill for that lower resolution.
    Here

1 screenshot 2 screens

For reference black area is nonexistant. This concludes my screen being forced to such hideous resolutions.

You mean 1920x1080, there's no 1960x1080 resolution. The difference will be day and night tho, huge difference. I'm hoping the same when I'll finally decide to get a 2560x1440p screen.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Here

1 screenshot 2 screens

For reference black area is nonexistant. This concludes my screen being forced to such hideous resolutions.

Ah thank you for that comparison! I guess that kind of sparks a question for me as far as gaming.

So right now say I'm playing WoW (or any mmo) my character in the middle of the screen is not distorted because my screen resolution is close to being square so he's not really stretched heightwise or wide.

How does a widescreen (being rectangular) come into play on this? Is my character going to seem stretched out width wise since my monitor is wider than it is tall?

I hope that made since?

Your field of view will actually widen, the image won't get distorted.

Oh wow! So by widening it am I seeing more things that before would have been outside of my view on a smaller resolution? (Aka.. wide screens have a big advantage) Or does it just make what I already saw bigger and sharper?

Things will be sharper and you'll see more as well.

Awesome! Thanks for all your guys help and patience!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using 1280x1024 for my whole gaming life. I'm sure 1920x1080 will be a shock, but a good shock.