10+ Year Old Account

G-Keys and Keybinding

So I got a new keyboard, the G510 and I was wondering how exactly I can use the G-keys 1 through 18 for the Bottom Left, Bottom Right and the two Right Action Bar rows for Warcraft. I've tried checking through Logitech's Key Profiler Program and it only shows the main Hot Bar for assigning macros to.

Any help?

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 11:07 PM ----------

I think I've figured it out, I pressed "MR" on my keyboard and it said "Quick Macro - Select a G Key" so I selected G10, then I pressed one of my bindings (Shift + F for example) and the screen on my board told me it had recorded it after pressing MR again. Now in-game whenever I press G10 my binding Shift + F now works for G10. I'm guessing that's how it's done? I'm simply just messing about with my keyboard so I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    So I got a new keyboard, the G510 and I was wondering how exactly I can use the G-keys 1 through 18 for the Bottom Left, Bottom Right and the two Right Action Bar rows for Warcraft. I've tried checking through Logitech's Key Profiler Program and it only shows the main Hot Bar for assigning macros to.

Any help?

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 11:07 PM ----------

I think I've figured it out, I pressed "MR" on my keyboard and it said "Quick Macro - Select a G Key" so I selected G10, then I pressed one of my bindings (Shift + F for example) and the screen on my board told me it had recorded it after pressing MR again. Now in-game whenever I press G10 my binding Shift + F now works for G10. I'm guessing that's how it's done? I'm simply just messing about with my keyboard so I may be wrong.
    One thing you need to understand is these are MACRO buttons, not completely 1 off buttons that will be seen as say G1 on your wow screen. You'll need to keybind using stuff like your numberpad, then assign your buttons to be used so in actuality you are pressing G3 but G3 is doing Numpad 1, in essence the keyboard can only have soo many keys acknowledged as its keys, the rest utilize the keys out of your normal gaming range. I.e numpad, 567890-=tyuiop[]hjkl;' the list goes on.
    vbnm,./

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    One thing you need to understand is these are MACRO buttons, not completely 1 off buttons that will be seen as say G1 on your wow screen. You'll need to keybind using stuff like your numberpad, then assign your buttons to be used so in actuality you are pressing G3 but G3 is doing Numpad 1, in essence the keyboard can only have soo many keys acknowledged as its keys, the rest utilize the keys out of your normal gaming range. I.e numpad, 567890-=tyuiop[]hjkl;' the list goes on.
    vbnm,./
    Yeah I finally figured that out after 10 minutes of messing around with functions. Much better for me to do G1-18 since it's harder for me to do Shift + [Whatever key here] or Alt/Ctrl, having ADHD ftw. This is actually my first time keybinding seriously, trying to move away from clicking!
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-12-15 at 01:30 PM.

Yeah I finally figured that out after 10 minutes of messing around with functions. Much better for me to do G1-18 since it's harder for me to do Shift + [Whatever key here] or Alt/Ctrl, having ADHD ftw. This is actually my first time keybinding seriously, trying to move away from clicking!
    Ive been meaning to write a Newbs guide to keybinding, I have spent countless hours helping people keybind. I use weird keybinds myself, but I know a few secrets to understanding and developing someones muscle memory.

I will tell you now my friend Gkeys or macro keys in general is not something you normally use, Its more of like those spells/abilities you sometimes use but not worth blowing out an easy bind for.

So I'll run you by some easy tips to get your hands moving, I promise if you follow these instructions your playstyle will feel more fluid.

#1 - Begin by using 1 or 2 new keybinds not 100. I will recommend F and C as your first 2 keybinds.
    Why?: Well F and C are close to each other and allow you to easily get a feel of where your fingers will be moving the most.

#2 - Play w/ this until your comfortable and hitting those keys is kind just second nature, this could take 1 hour or 1 week but it will come rather quickly.

#3 - Now w/ F and C we will expand to shift F and Alt C
    Why?: This time were using modifiers to the original 2 binds created, specifically 2 different modifiers again just a trick to get your fingers moving where we want them.

#4 - Again take time to LFR/Dungeon w/e to get the feel forcing yourself to not click the buttons.

#5 - At this point you should be comfortable w/ Alt and Shift as modifiers, and your hand is more mobile. Add in Q-E-X-C, if you are a healer Q-E is probably a more comfortable strafe button so use A-D for the new binds, Also don't forget F1-F3 are viable keys for CD's and Potions etc. Furthermore Shift 1 -3 are amazing for CC type abilities.

Myself I have

Q
    E
    Z
    X
    C
    F
    Num1
    num2
    num3
    num4
    num5
    num6
    num7
    num8
    num9
    num0
    -
    +
    F1
    F2
    F3
    S1
    S2
    S3
    Alt F
    Alt X
    Alt C
    ~

All in day to day use, yea im a rogue what of it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only used 7-9 G-Keys specifically for my defensive CD's and I'm familiarizing myself with them very quickly, since I'm a Death Knight that would be AMS, IB, Ghoul Heal, Remorseless and Death's Embrace, my main abilities I use my mouse for since I have a Naga, I'm trying to get used to the side-buttons on my mouse for my main abilities, but don't get me wrong keybinds are great and I use them myself, 2 for interrupts and another 2 for Death Grip and Chain's of Ice, I just don't want to make it difficult on my remembering of patterns and I've found this way to be easier for me, I tried keybinding but I just couldn't get past more than three modifiers.

I'm aware G-Keys may not be the usual bindings, but they're working for me I'm not a heavy PvP'er so all sorts of Macros are not likely to be made for me. Hey, if it's a difficult way then so be it, sometimes difficult things are more suitable for some than the proper ways that are easier! What matters is I'm shifting from clicking after 7 years of WoW Thanks for the tips and pointers though.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-12-15 at 05:22 PM.

I've only used 7-9 G-Keys specifically for my defensive CD's and I'm familiarizing myself with them very quickly, since I'm a Death Knight that would be AMS, IB, Ghoul Heal, Remorseless and Death's Embrace, my main abilities I use my mouse for since I have a Naga, I'm trying to get used to the side-buttons on my mouse for my main abilities, but don't get me wrong keybinds are great and I use them myself, 2 for interrupts and another 2 for Death Grip and Chain's of Ice, I just don't want to make it difficult on my remembering of patterns and I've found this way to be easier for me, I tried keybinding but I just couldn't get past more than three modifiers.

I'm aware G-Keys may not be the usual bindings, but they're working for me I'm not a heavy PvP'er so all sorts of Macros are not likely to be made for me. Hey, if it's a difficult way then so be it, sometimes difficult things are more suitable for some than the proper ways that are easier! What matters is I'm shifting from clicking after 7 years of WoW Thanks for the tips and pointers though.
    The concept is not to use modifiers as much as using the keyboard. 1 and 2 are arguably the easiest buttons to hit along w/ ~ so you'll see a ton of filler abilities or main attacks as those keys. Thus having access to that and other abilities quickly is an effective increase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    The concept is not to use modifiers as much as using the keyboard. 1 and 2 are arguably the easiest buttons to hit along w/ ~ so you'll see a ton of filler abilities or main attacks as those keys. Thus having access to that and other abilities quickly is an effective increase.
    Using my Naga sidebuttons is still effective though right?

Deleted
    EDIT: I do not use Naga or any keybind with extra binds, i have a keyboard that let me macro the windows button into autorunning and caps into set focus.
    Figured i was gonna list all of my binds somewhere, might as well be here, keep in mind that copying my binds probably isn't a smart idea, especially if you are not used to keybinding everything, and i'm pretty sure i'm one of the extremes binding everything, i love these binds despite just setting them up a few weeks ago, i love having my mouse free for movement and camera turning, both are really important for me to know whats going on

hope this gives you inspiration:

Movement: W A D, Mouse 1/Mouse 2.
    Auto-Run: Windows Button

1: Slice and Dice
    2: Eviscerate
    3: Rupture
    4: Hemorrhage
    5: Nothing
    6: Blind (for RBGs)

Stealth/Dance 1: Slice and Dice
    Stealth/Dance 2: Eviscerate
    Stealth/Dance 3: Garrote
    Stealth/Dance 4: Cheap Shot
    Stealth/Dance 5: Shadow Walk
    Stealth/Dance 6: Shroud of Concealment

Shift 1: Shadow Blades
    Shift 2: Engineering gloves: Synapse Springs
    Shift 3: Focus Garrote
    Shift 4: Focus Cheap Shot

F1: Blind arena 1
    F2: Blind arena 2
    F3: Blind arena 3
    F4: Redirect - usually use Shift-V for it though.
    F5: Traveler's Tundra Mammoth

Alt 1: Target arena 1
    Alt 2: Target arena 2
    Alt 3: Target arena 3
    Ctrl 1: Focus arena 1
    Ctrl 2: Focus arena 2
    Ctrl 3: Focus arena 3

Mouse 4: Shuriken Toss
    Shift+Mouse4: Focus Shuriken Toss
    Mouse5: PvP Trinket
    Shift+Mouse5: Rocket Jump (goblin racial)
    Mousewheel up: Sprint
    Shift+Mousewheelup: Rocket Boots (engineering)
    Mouseweeldown: Sprint - i don't really use this but it's just bound here because i have nothing else to bind here, i guess
    Shift+Mousewheeldown: Goblin Glider (engineering)

Shift+W: Healthstone
    Shift+A: Spam sap macro
    Shift+S: Sap
    Shift+D: Focus Sap
    Ctrl+D: Premeditation

Q: Shadowstep
    Shift+Q: Focus Shadowstep
    Ctrl+Q: Shadowstep to my healer
    Alt+Q: Shadowstep to my DPS

E: Gouge
    Shift+E: Focus Gouge
    Ctrl+E: Exspose Armor

R: Evasion
    Shift+R: Cloak of Shadows
    Ctrl+R: Symbiosis (Growl)

T: Shiv
    Shift+T: Focus Shiv

S: Recuperate

F: Ambush/Backstab, depending on "stance".
    Shift+F: Shadow Dance
    Ctrl+F: Stealth

G: Kick
    Shift+G: Focus Kick
    Ctrl+G: Focus Shadowstep Kick

Z: Tricks of the Trade
    Shift+Z: Distract

X: Dismantle
    Shift+X: Focus Dismantle

C: Feint (Elusiveness)
    Shift+C: Vanish

V: Kidney
    Shift+V: Focus Redirect Kidney

Caps lock: Set focus

Spacebar: Jump
    Shift+Spacebar: PvP Burst trinket
    Ctrl+Spacebar: Mount, both flying and ground.

Screenshot of my UI: http://i.imgur.com/XkKdg.jpg
    Reason i have stuff bound more than once is to see CDs better, for instance my sap macros show a healthstone and my mount macros show a smoke bomb.

Hope this helped you out, saved it in a notepad and finally wrote it down, was just standing in org anyway

Also, i just counted them 69, not counting movement keys
    Last edited by mmocf0203e43c2; 2012-12-15 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely gives inspiration, helps me decide on my bindings a little more and not use the entire side-button pad for my main abilities.

Deleted
    glad i could help

10+ Year Old Account
    Figured I would provide an update:
    29 abilities in total that I've binded, it's been tricky but I'm finally getting the hang of binding.

Deleted
    Figured I would provide an update:
    29 abilities in total that I've binded, it's been tricky but I'm finally getting the hang of binding.
    Sounds good!

keep binding stuff untill it's all bound tbh, even if you click them there's no reason not to have them bound as well, maybe you'll start clicking the keybind eventually

I myself use 1 - 5, shift 1 - 3, Q,E,R,F,V,C,X,Z,Caps,T,G,ShiftQ/R/F/V/Z/M-Up/M-Down,M-Up,M-Down

I put frequently casted abilities on Q/E/R/T/G/V/C/X/Z because they are very fast and easy to hit. Also, if an ability is situational but needs to be hit fast (slow, silence, etc) I put it on one of those keys. Cooldowns go on shift modifiers. My stances/aspects/auras go on shift+mouse wheel.

1 - Steady/Cobra Shot
    2 - Arcane Shot
    3 - Serpent Sting
    4 - Multishot

Q - Black Arrow
    E - Disengage
    R - Silencing Shot (when specced)
    T - Disorienting Shot
    F - Slowing Shot
    G - Explosive Shot
    V - Lynx Rush/A Murder of Crows
    C - Unbound
    X - Frost Trap
    Z - Kill Shot

Shift Q - Tranquil Shot
    Shift E - Fire Trap
    Shift R - Deterrence
    Shift F - Rapid Fire
    Shift Z - Feign Death
    Shift V - Refresh Cooldowns
    Shift C - Unbound

Mouse Wheel Up - Send pet attack
    Mouse Wheel Down - Pet follow
    Shift + Wheel Up - Hawk Aspect
    Shift + Wheel Down - Aspect of the Pack
    Shift + Middle Button - Aspect of the Cheetah
    Sidebutton - Misdirect

Hope this helps. Obviously these won't work for you if you're not a hunter, but it gives you an idea of what works for me and could work for you. Also, I keep keybinds similar across all characters. IE: 1 - 3 are abilities I spam, Shift-Z is a survival ability, Mouse Wheels are for stances... etc.
    Last edited by Bags-; 2012-12-28 at 10:40 AM.

Deleted
    I have one of these keyboards and when i played MMO's I used to abuse the hell out of it, as Blizzard used to endorse the keyboard you can write simple bots using macros and run them as much as you want.

for example I had a macro which I used to use for tanking, is basically on every pull did my first 3 minutes of combat flawlessly allowing me to roll a cigarette, here's how you do it.

Press the MR key and select a G-key then go through your entire set of attacks/commands - save it by pressing MR again
    Open the G-series profile manager and add the GCD in between each attack so it balances correctly and then go do some testing, takes a bit to ge tthe timings spot on but once sorted its win.

I used to have macros for DE, Prospecting, crafting but you have to remember everything has to be a keyboard command it cannot provide orders to your mouse or then it is botting as that is outside of the keyboards expected use.