Best program to play Blu Ray?

Just scored a BD drive on sale finally and just curious as to which program will be my best option for playback. Currently I only have a 27" 720 tv via HDMI, but would eventually like to upgrade that and would be more interested in quality.

Deleted
    MPC HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) with cccp codec, or VLC player. I lean towards MPC HC.

Deleted
    vlc works just fine ^^ (also people actually still buy discs? )
    i'd be terrified if i would own a physical copy of every movie/series i have (would be 300 discs atleast so i prefer full digital ^^)

And if you're talking about playing actual storebought movies you need some actual storebought software because of the copyprotections.

PowerDVD is the most common one.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I found this one: bdconverter.com/blu-ray-player But sorry I cant see what it named... just google it!

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried all of the ones listed here so far and the only one that played the blu-rays properly was PowerDvD. It also came free with my blu-ray drive for my pc.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    VLC Media Player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    And if you're talking about playing actual storebought movies you need some actual storebought software because of the copyprotections.

PowerDVD is the most common one.
    CCCP or K-Lite codecs should let you play them in regular media player

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    CCCP or K-Lite codecs should let you play them in regular media player
    Codecs do exist that let you play the BDMV structure and/or raw m2ts files present in BluRay discs once you have used one of the two semi-legal tools that bypass BluRay encryption (and both of them cost more than PowerDVD), but nothing will play the discs with encryption intact besides commercial movie players such as PowerDVD.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-13 at 09:06 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Codecs do exist that let you play the BDMV structure and/or raw m2ts files present in BluRay discs once you have used one of the two semi-legal tools that bypass BluRay encryption (and both of them cost more than PowerDVD), but nothing will play the discs with encryption intact besides commercial movie players such as PowerDVD.
    This is correct. 21st Century Fox's encryption is particularly hard to run, even programs like PowerDVD need updates every few months to play the latest Blu-Rays back.

VLC and MPC~ both play back ripped items just fine, but not actual Blu-Rays, not without paid for decoders. I've been having a bunch of issues with PowerDVD 11 myself lately - it out right refused to play back Prometheus for a few weeks, so I have my Blu-Ray player hooked up via a SPDIF pass-through as well as having a Blu Ray drive in my PC itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, and they wonder why piracy is so hard to stop

i'll have to check with my friend, he plays and rips blurays all the time, i'll see what he is running

i'll have to check with my friend, he plays and rips blurays all the time, i'll see what he is running
    There are two widely known BD ripping tools that MPAA has tried to shut down for years without luck which is why I think it's safe to name these. These are both backed by companies with enough money to challenge MPAA in court and not lose.

Yet.

SlySoft's AnyDVD has yearly subscription if you want updates (and you do want updates because film studios come up with new protections almost weekly) and is the rippers' favourite because it hooks into Windows drivers and works totally invisible on the background. This is the only way to allow VLC and MPC-HC access BD movies totally transparently on your computer.

DVDFab is one-time purchase with slower updates. It's bit clumsier as it is a GUI app you need to manually use to decrypt files from BD media to HDD.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-13 at 01:38 PM.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    He uses AnyDVD to rip them, and then adds them into his MyMovies collection, if by chance he has to play directly from disc, he uses his ps3

so nvm then, i thought he was playing them on his computer

He uses AnyDVD to rip them, and then adds them into his MyMovies collection, if by chance he has to play directly from disc, he uses his ps3

so nvm then, i thought he was playing them on his computer
    I mean unless you are pirating the blu-ray, I feel like ultraviolet copies come standard, so you can just download the full quality movie because you own it...I have multiple bluray movies and each one I buy has a UV download...so IDK.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 01:57 PM ----------

There are two widely known BD ripping tools that MPAA has tried to shut down for years without luck which is why I think it's safe to name these. These are both backed by companies with enough money to challenge MPAA in court and not lose.

Yet.

SlySoft's AnyDVD has yearly subscription if you want updates (and you do want updates because film studios come up with new protections almost weekly) and is the rippers' favourite because it hooks into Windows drivers and works totally invisible on the background. This is the only way to allow VLC and MPC-HC access BD movies totally transparently on your computer.

DVDFab is one-time purchase with slower updates. It's bit clumsier as it is a GUI app you need to manually use to decrypt files from BD media to HDD.
    While this is semi accurate they cannot shut down programs used for illegal tasks, unless it is designed to specifically break laws. Similar to how I can drive a Porsche 911 but not a Nascar on the street. While these programs are often used for illegal things, ripping your owned content to a backup or storage location is 100% legal, and will continue to be until the world accepts or is conformed to a Nazi police state.

TL;DR
    Ripping software is as illegal and as easy to shut down as someone creating a DLL injector, not illegal at all.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-12-14 at 02:01 PM.

ive been using powerdvd for blu rays on my media center, its plays everything i have put in the drive. sometimes takes a little while to start playing for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    TL;DR
    Ripping software is as illegal and as easy to shut down as someone creating a DLL injector, not illegal at all.
    in the US, bypassing or removing DRM to view content is illegal, even if it's your own allotted backup, the backup is not illegal, bypassing the DRM is

that being said, idk of anyone outside of that guy that sony sued who have ever been charged for it, i'd be more worried about a littering ticket for flicking a cigarette out of my car

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    While this is semi accurate they cannot shut down programs used for illegal tasks, unless it is designed to specifically break laws. While these programs are often used for illegal things, ripping your owned content to a backup or storage location is 100% legal, and will continue to be until the world accepts or is conformed to a Nazi police state.
    Taking backups for your own use is legal, but circumventing any copy protection is illegal under DMCA even if it's some laughable crap like ROT13 encryption.

MPAA has managed to shut down all other dvd ripping tools except these two with DMCA, but the makers of these have enough money to hire actually competent lawyers and keep their products alive under "backup tools" description. It's ongoing battle and there's no precedents yet either way. DMCA and the lack of money to hire lawyers is the reason why linux don't touch this mess either.

It goes slightly off topic, but DMCA and Patriot Act turned USA into police state years ago.
    Trolling should be.

Interesting to read some rules of the law in the US? :P

@Just use any media player you prefer. I prefer VLC because they have a nice & clean interface and it's playing every video.. Some players weren't playbacking some vids I've been downloading.

10+ Year Old Account
    No mention of GOM Player?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    @Just use any media player you prefer. I prefer VLC because they have a nice & clean interface and it's playing every video.. Some players weren't playbacking some vids I've been downloading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    No mention of GOM Player?
    Still in the same boat as all other suggestions on this thread. Having SlySoft's AnyDVDHD installed and running on the background is the only thing that enables people to play or even access files on BluRay discs with any player they like.

Sure you can use whateveryoulike to play ripped movies downloaded from internet, but that's far from actual BluRay movie disc playback.
    Trolling should be.