10+ Year Old Account

Good illuminated keyboard?

Hey guys, so I'm finally upgrading to a desktop, but I just realized I didn't actually have a key board... So I've been shopping around a bit and was wondering what a good illuminated keyboard, for around 50-ish dollars would be.

It doesn't have to be "gaming" with a million macroable keys, I do quite well with just a boring old keyboard but I would like it to have flat mechanical keys, not the really tall ones... If that makes sense?

I've heard good things from the Saitek II, but I would like another opinion on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    80$ without tax and shipping ._. well then... How bright is it in the dark? It's a white light, so I leaning towards saying it's not too terribly bright.

I don't know that low-profile mechanical keys exist. Your price range is a little below what a mechanical would cost too, unless you just threw that word out without realizing what it means?

If mechanical isn't actually a requirement, I'd recommend a MS Sidewinder X4. It probably has the best antighosting you'll find in a membrane keyboard, it's backlit, and it has low-profile keys (not like laptop keys, but between that and full-height). It has a row of unnecessary macro keys, but they don't do any harm unless you have very limited desk space. I heard a rumor a short while back that these may be discontinued. I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems like they're still available in online stores.

If you want an actual laptop-style chiclet keyboard, I honestly don't know of many available with backlighting. There's Razer's $250 touchscreen monstrosity, and this is available from Logitech but it's still pretty expensive ($100) and also requires Bluetooth. You could get a chiclet keyboard for pretty cheap without backlighting (example), but I'm not sure where to point you for an illuminated one.

If you actually meant mechanical, the cheapest you'd be looking at for a backlit is $110-120, whether it's Razer, Ducky, Corsair, etc. The Rosewill RK-9100 series are probably going to be the cheapest, but not by much. These all have full-profile keys, though.

Deleted
    You'll have a hard time finding a truly mechanical low-profile (i.e. laptop style) keyboard.
    Laptop keyboards are not mechanical for the most part due to the fact that their low-profile design makes it very difficult to incorporate a mechanical setup.

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 10:13 PM ----------

Plus, cheap mechanical keyboards aren't really worth bothering with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive been using this for a few months now and I like it.

Yay reading, its not mechanical.

Microsoft Sidewinder X-4
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using the Logitech K800

Not sure if it's everything you want, but it's damn fine for gaming IMO
    Last edited by Beno113; 2012-12-15 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I know what mechanical is, and I honestly thought it would be available as LP.

Umm... Lets see... You guys are giving me some pretty good ideas, I do like the Sidewinder, even though I'm not sure about the whole macro keys thing (I honestly have no idea if I'll ever use them) but it's not too expensive and red is fairly easy on the eyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    red is very easy on the eyes

sidewinder x4
    sidewinder x6
    logitech g110
    corsair k90 (mechanical)

flat mechanical keys are a really niche product..not sure you'll find them
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right