The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question More and more bots

I don't know if it's perhaps my server only, but these past few days I've been leveling up various of my alts and I've noticed a LOT of botting. Sometimes even my entire party was a bot.
    How do I know? Well I don't... but do human players these days run into every mob, autoattacking, not talking to one another and don't come back when they die?

I mean think about it... everything could be programmed and I don't know a lot about botting, but I'm sure they could be made very specific.

So.. are these bots or merely VERY unsocial dumb players?

10+ Year Old Account
    Those sound like pathetic excuses for bots.
    The 'good' ones are programmed correctly that whilst their moves are automated and it's easy to know that they're botting, they actually play extremely well. It's hard to mess up a rotation when everything is pre-scripted and simply executing lines of code. They also have the ability to dodge mechanics etc.
    Sounds like you're just encountering the cheap-o bots.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    Those sound like pathetic excuses for bots.
    The 'good' ones are programmed correctly that whilst their moves are automated and it's easy to know that they're botting, they actually play extremely well. It's hard to mess up a rotation when everything is pre-scripted and simply executing lines of code. They also have the ability to dodge mechanics etc.
    Sounds like you're just encountering the cheap-o bots.
    Still that frightens me... why so much botting? Leveling is not that hard nowadays...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    Still that frightens me... why so much botting? Leveling is not that hard nowadays...
    Laziness? I don't know.
    The 'why do something when I can get someone/something to do it for me' mindset.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

When you say 'leveling' are we talking low levels? or like 80-90?

Most bots are aimed at farming valuable materials, especially since leveling is quite easy compared to what it used to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    While leveling alts, I'm very unsociable to those around me. I won't usually converse unless spoken to first, but that's also how I am for the most part IRL. But anyway, people do use bots for leveling. All they do is grind an area day in and day out (or at least that's what it was in WotLK). If you see them and suspect something, just report it and carry on.

Also, to answer your question as to why they'd do it for leveling, I'll answer that from experience! Sometimes people just want a character at cap without having to sit at the screen all day and level it. Using a bot is an easy way to avoid that, as you can leave it running while you're asleep, at work, at school, etc. I did that a few times in WotLK before they temp-banned that account. ><

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I know? Well I don't... but do human players these days run into every mob, autoattacking, not talking to one another and don't come back when they die?
    Yes. People do this all the time.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are surely talking about botting dungeons, for botting raids of any kind is next to impossible. If there is a script out there that can bot any of the LFR MoP raids, then kudos to the creator! But I doubt it!!

Not everyone has the time and/or patience to sit in front of a PC for several hours doing the same old thing over and over...and over. Botting can alleviate this tension.

Deleted
    As I don't PvP, the reports about the amount of bots in there sound scary.

But since last week I started to finally see the bots in lfr too. Toes all but 1 healer were bots. Dps had to take down tsulong for 100% since the bots didn't heal him
    After tsulong we kicked 2bots and went on the kill the rest with mix off bot/real healer.

Tin foil hat: blizzard is making these botting programs as a test to make solo dungeons and solo raids with AI controlled parties.
    When you do the final quest with shadow pan you can allready see how all those AI npcs handle pretty well to kill a big mob together with the player.

It's impossible that people would want to pay for a game and then not actually play it because it's boring. I can't comprehend how a human being which should be the most intelligent species could do such a dumb thing.
    Last edited by mmoce1187a0503; 2012-12-17 at 09:08 AM.

bots generally play better than most players i run into sadly... as for raiding with bots, its very possible, and generally those bots top healing and/or dps. at the very least they arent sitting at 20k dps or 5k hps like most players do. i gladly welcome bots that carry their own weight rather than some afk douche not doing a damn thing ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post
    It's impossible that people would want to pay for a game and then not actually play it because it's boring. I can't comprehend how a human being which should be the most intelligent species could do such a dumb thing.
    Its impossible people like to play end game content rather than lvling ?
    Its impossible to enjoy normal raids but still want the edge(gear) lfr provides but dont have the added time ?
    It's impossible to enjoy arena but not honor(bg) grind ?
    It's impossible people want to buy VP gear but dont spend hours a day to grind dailies ?

I could make this list endless, all aspects of wow wont be fun to everyone, people enjoy different things...
    Humans by nature is lazy, people will almost always take the path of least resistance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Its impossible people like to play end game content rather than lvling ?
    Its impossible to enjoy normal raids but still want the edge(gear) lfr provides but dont have the added time ?
    It's impossible to enjoy arena but not honor(bg) grind ?
    It's impossible people want to buy VP gear but dont spend hours a day to grind dailies ?

I could make this list endless, all aspects of wow wont be fun to everyone, people enjoy different things...
    Humans by nature is lazy, people will almost always take the path of least resistance.
    Is it possible booting is against the game rules and gets banned? If so, wow is not for lazy people, btw I'm so lazy! :P

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Given how easy/fast Blizz has made it to level/get gear and be "raid ready" (or "arena ready" or whatever you're looking for), I really don't understand the "I'm so lazy I just don't care" attitude. If you want to play, pay. Put in that minimum (and it is a minimum) effort.

I don't care if you're amazing at this game; I don't care if you're a top player. I do care if you're lazy and/or rude. You must be this tall to enter; if you're not, don't come whining to me about entitlement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yesterday I saw 7 players total in Valley of Four Winds. 6 of these were obvious bots. They were either stuck in a tree/rock for as long as I observed them, or flying around looking very robotic, going through herb nodes in 100% predefined paths. They (And about 5 more) were there today too, half of them stuck again.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Yesterday I saw 7 players total in Valley of Four Winds. 6 of these were obvious bots. They were either stuck in a tree/rock for as long as I observed them, or flying around looking very robotic, going through herb nodes in 100% predefined paths. They (And about 5 more) were there today too, half of them stuck again.
    VoFW seems to be a "hot spot", especially with 85-87s "flying" around on a wind rider to nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum View Post
    Given how easy/fast Blizz has made it to level/get gear and be "raid ready" (or "arena ready" or whatever you're looking for), I really don't understand the "I'm so lazy I just don't care" attitude. If you want to play, pay. Put in that minimum (and it is a minimum) effort.

I don't care if you're amazing at this game; I don't care if you're a top player. I do care if you're lazy and/or rude. You must be this tall to enter; if you're not, don't come whining to me about entitlement.
    raiding is a joke with trying to class stack and funnel gear now so anyone serious has to have 3 alts

who wants to vp cap get dailies coins and do shitfest full of retard pugs known as lfr on 3-4 toons every week to be competitive

i dont bot since for me the miniscule chance of getting banned is not worth it but most of the people i play with do

consider it like the player is an executive who does the hc raiding and the bot is the personal assistant who makes sure all the paperwork gets done.
    Last edited by adelerollsinthedeep; 2012-12-17 at 09:17 PM.

In my experience instance botting has become a lot more frequent. On sunday I did quite a few LFDs as a tank and I encountered at least half a dozen bots (mostly hunters) queued as DDs. And when it's not bots it's people following the healer while afk without being able to get kicked. Waiting for the timer to expire is often more time consuming than just finishing the dungeon with only 2-3 people present especially since the dps of an heirloomed monk tank is usually 2-3 times the dps of a regular DD while leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post
    You are surely talking about botting dungeons, for botting raids of any kind is next to impossible. If there is a script out there that can bot any of the LFR MoP raids, then kudos to the creator! But I doubt it!!
    In theory one could make 25 bots that would take every world first. Talking about the perfect bot then, and doubt it exists or someone even attempts to create it. But theoretically the perfect bot should always beat the best player. If you see that certain robots can do micro brain surgery irl, then it's not that hard to imagine that some university team could make a perfect wow bot. It just take the right amount of resources to do so, and I don't think that's very likely to ever happen.

...but do human players these days run into every mob, autoattacking, not talking to one another and don't come back when they die?
    Yes. It sounds like the average player to me. It doesn't sound like something you'd have a bot do. Dying to stupidity is something players do, not bots. If you want to test it, taunt the mobs they're fighting and run away with them (although I guess bots may have gotten better at dealing with this since I last tried it).
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    In theory one could make 25 bots that would take every world first. Talking about the perfect bot then, and doubt it exists or someone even attempts to create it. But theoretically the perfect bot should always beat the best player. If you see that certain robots can do micro brain surgery irl, then it's not that hard to imagine that some university team could make a perfect wow bot. It just take the right amount of resources to do so, and I don't think that's very likely to ever happen.
    I was told at one point that we have yet to create a robot that can catch a randomly throw ball, anybody know if that's true?

Sure bots would be able to perfectly handle certain mechanics, but I also think they would fail miserably at others.