Deleted

This Setup sound good ?

What do you think about this setup ?
    what settings will i be able to run games such as league of legends, call of duty and other games ? will i be able to stream league of legends with this or fraps it ?

Case - Cooler Master Silencio 550 USB3.0 ATX Case £65

Mobo - MSI Z77A-GD55 Motherboard (Intel Core i3/i5/i7/Pentium/Celeron, Intel Z77, ATX, RAID, Gigabit LAN, Socket LGA1155) £103

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card £177

RAM - Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module Kit £34

PSU - Cooler Master RS550-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 550W Power Supply Unit £49

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM £45

Optical Drive - Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare £17

CPU - Intel Core I5-3570 Processor (3.40GHZ, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155) £161

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only) - £70

Total Price £721

Im ordering all the parts from amazon because it is free next day delivery.

• You don't need a Z77 motherboard if you're getting a locked CPU. Look for an H77 motherboard instead.
    • Cooler Master isn't exactly well know for their fantastic power supplies, I'd suggest something like an Antec PSU in the 450-550W range instead.

The rest looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    • You don't need a Z77 motherboard if you're getting a locked CPU. Look for an H77 motherboard instead.
    • Cooler Master isn't exactly well know for their fantastic power supplies, I'd suggest something like an Antec PSU in the 450-550W range instead.
    Specifically the GX series from Cooler Master are low quality. Silent Pro are fine. Also if going for OC locked route 3470 gives notably better value for money than 3570.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Also if going for OC locked route 3470 gives notably better value for money than 3570.
    The 3470 has 200 Mhz less clock speeds.

It might also be binned lower. Not entirely sure so don't quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The 3470 has 200 Mhz less clock speeds.

It might also be binned lower. Not entirely sure so don't quote me on that.
    Pulling numbers out of my butt here, but the reason why 3470 is because it's 10% cheaper but only 5% slower than 3570 and both are multiplier locked. Not 100% accurate but in the right ballpark.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-15 at 04:56 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Pulling numbers out of my butt here, but the reason why 3470 is because it's 10% cheaper but only 5% slower than 3570 and both are multiplier locked. Not 100% accurate but in the right ballpark.
    Any turbo capable Ivy is unlocked to turbo + 4. $20 is a small price to pay for high stock clocks.

Any turbo capable Ivy is unlocked to turbo + 4. $20 is a small price to pay for high stock clocks.
    There's no difference in turbo feature or overclockability between i5-3570 and i5-3470, and 3470 is usually significantly cheaper.
    Trolling should be.

There's no difference in turbo feature or overclockability between i5-3570 and i5-3470, and 3470 is usually significantly cheaper.
    According to part picker, the 3470 is $15 cheaper than the 3570. There isn't a significant difference between them for price performance, assuming performance scales linearly with clock speed.

The only other difference between them is the integrated GPU can get a higher clock on the 3570 than the 3470 (only 50 MHz though).

i5-3470 - 3.2 Ghz, Turbo 3.6 Ghz
    i5-3570 - 3.4 Ghz, Turbo 3.8 Ghz

Limited Unlocked Multiplier - Turbo Bin +4

If the i5-3570 is truly binned higher, then you're more likely to hit a higher OC with it than the i5-3470. This might be important 2 years down the line when Blizzard updates WoW's graphics engine again.

If the i5-3570 is truly binned higher, then you're more likely to hit a higher OC with it than the i5-3470. This might be important 2 years down the line when Blizzard updates WoW's graphics engine again.
    The only OC you'll be doing with the locked CPUs is raising the multiplier by 4 as long as the motherboards supports overclocking. The i5-3570 will have that extra 200Mhz against the i5-3470 stock or overclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    The only OC you'll be doing with the locked CPUs is raising the multiplier by 4 as long as the motherboards supports overclocking. The i5-3570 will have that extra 200Mhz against the i5-3470 stock or overclocked.
    Just because the 3470 has +4 bins doesn't mean that it will actually be able to hit that speed. K-unlocked CPUs have 63 bins yet most people aren't able to get close. If i5s are binned, then you're going to want to buy the higher binned chip if the cost difference is only $15.

The reason you can't increase the multiplier to 63 in the unlocked CPU is because of the voltage requirements to reach those speeds. To increase the multiplier by 4 from stock will require either no voltage change or a really small bump which any CPU should be able to handle even on the stock cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    The reason you can't increase the multiplier to 63 in the unlocked CPU is because of the voltage requirements to reach those speeds. To increase the multiplier by 4 from stock will require either no voltage change or a really small bump which any CPU should be able to handle even on the stock cooler.
    If the 3470 can hit +4 with stock voltages, don't you think it would have been binned as a 3570 or a 3570K instead?

For the OP who's already not considering overclocking, do you think he'd be OK with bumping voltages? He might be OK with bumping multipliers but fiddling with voltages is pretty much full on overclocking. Even at full stock, I would argue that 200 Mhz is worth that $15 especially in CPU bound games.

If the 3470 can hit +4 with stock voltages, don't you think it would have been binned as a 3570 or a 3570K instead?
    No, because binning isn't just done for simply rating the chip and selling it at it's highest value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    No, because binning isn't just done for simply rating the chip and selling it at it's highest value.
    I have no idea what you mean.

Binning is performed to segregate chips into performance 'bins' according to manufacturer criteria. Prices are assigned according to these performance bins.

Binning is performed to 'scavenge' chips that otherwise don't meet specifications by 'lowering specifications'.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-12-15 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    I have no idea what you mean.

Binning is performed to segregate chips into performance 'bins' according to manufacturer criteria. Prices are assigned according to these performance bins.
    What it means is that it's common practice from all chip makers that they ship what's most profitable. For example people were able to unlock Radeon 6950 cards into 6970 because there was oversupply of 6970 chips in stores that they couldn't move, but people wanted to buy 6950's instead. This means AMD immediately went to dump half of 6970 bin into 6950 bin to meet the demand.

This happens all the time on Global Foundries, TSMC, Intel and all other major chip makers.
    Trolling should be.

What it means is that it's common practice from all chip makers that they ship what's most profitable. For example people were able to unlock Radeon 6950 cards into 6970 because there was oversupply of 6970 chips in stores that they couldn't move, but people wanted to buy 6950's instead. This means AMD immediately went to dump half of 6970 bin into 6950 bin to meet the demand.

This happens all the time on Global Foundries, TSMC, Intel and all other major chip makers.
    I highly doubt this applies to two CPUs with a price difference of < 10%.

I highly doubt this applies to two CPUs with a price difference of < 10%.
    It really does, because manufacturing costs are the same in all bins, yields are different.

The way chips are made is very simplified like this: 300mm silicon disc is split into chips in a grid array. There's something like 1000 chips in each disc, some are closer to the center and some are closer to the edges. Because of the manufacturing process the center is always more pure and yields better chips, while the edges have larger surface area yielding more chips but quality is lower. Fictional example would be that chips in middle two rings are put into best bin, chips in next two rings into second bin and so on, all the way to the edge.

After chips are binned the cores are tested and broken parts of the chips are lasered out by simply cutting few wires in strategic locations, then they're placed into final bins which can be lower than initial distance from the middle of the disc but never higher.

Because the higher binned chips are already manufactured and will be worth nothing if not sold, the company can simply move those into lower bin which will make them money that is greater than zero. Sometimes the chips will also be gimped when moved to lower pin (working parts lasered out) but sometimes those just are gimped in BIOS. With first R6950 cards they just turned off 1/4 of the stream processors from BIOS which was easily reversible. AMD's AM2+/3 processors have both working and broken cores lasered off but clever motherboards can still access those parts that are supposed to be out of limits.
    Trolling should be.

It really does, because manufacturing costs are the same in all bins, yields are different.

The way chips are made is very simplified like this: 300mm silicon disc is split into chips in a grid array. There's something like 1000 chips in each disc, some are closer to the center and some are closer to the edges. Because of the manufacturing process the center is always more pure and yields better chips, while the edges have larger surface area yielding more chips but quality is lower. Fictional example would be that chips in middle two rings are put into best bin, chips in next two rings into second bin and so on, all the way to the edge.

After chips are binned the cores are tested and broken parts of the chips are lasered out by simply cutting few wires in strategic locations, then they're placed into final bins which can be lower than initial distance from the middle of the disc but never higher.

Because the higher binned chips are already manufactured and will be worth nothing if not sold, the company can simply move those into lower bin which will make them money that is greater than zero. Sometimes the chips will also be gimped when moved to lower pin (working parts lasered out) but sometimes those just are gimped in BIOS. With first R6950 cards they just turned off 1/4 of the stream processors from BIOS which was easily reversible. AMD's AM2+/3 processors have both working and broken cores lasered off but clever motherboards can still access those parts that are supposed to be out of limits.
    1/4 disabled? :P So yeah 136/1536=1/4? :P

Uhm in the beginning loads of 6950's could be unlocked, some couldn't. Newer revisions like an example from the msi TF3 had a voltage lock @ 1.2V and the 136SP's were just lasercut.