Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Air cooling a 6 core i7

Would a product like the Master 212 Evo cool a 3960 or 3930k with a mild OC like 4.0 - 4.2?
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

10+ Year Old Account
    probably, i use an NH-D14 with high voltage at 4.6, and under full load i cap out at 60c, there is definitely room to give, so i imagine the 212 can do it

however, i question the useage of the 212, if you are spending $500-1000 on a cpu, why are you looking at a budget heatsink

Does the 212 even have mounting hardware for LGA 2011?

Yes it will cool it easily. According to the specs this master 212 evo seems to be supporting s2011, not sure if it's in the package delivered.

Why would you even spend 500eur more for a 3960x while there is like zero difference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Why would you even spend 500eur more for a 3960x while there is like zero difference?
    if you have to ask that question, the 3960x is not for you

Deleted
    better question would be how is his current CPU lacking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    if you have to ask that question, the 3960x is not for you
    Aren't we high society.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    better question would be how is his current CPU lacking?
    ^ - What he said.

Playing devil's advocate here, but he never actually said it was for him. And for anything non-gaming CPU-intensive with multi-threading capabilities, the i7 3930K is a better CPU on a 'better' platform.

Deleted
    in regards to 3960x is a cpu aimed at a very very niché group of people who can actually uttilize it's potential, for gaming it means close to nothing compared to 3570k/3770k chips. (talking about similar performance in most benchmarks due to games not being optimized for hexa-cores, hell quad optimization is still barely out of infancy stages)

edit : speaking of the devil with tetris swooping in just before my post QQ

me and a friend were discussing hexcores vs quad cores and he was thinking of using his tax return and build a system with a 3930k and we noticed the CPU did not come with a heatsink.
    Luckily we came across the Archon SB-E X2 air cooler, he wants to set it at about 4.0ghz max for a mild overclock just was looking at coolers and i suggested the 212 fan since it was such a low Over clock etc. But decided the Archon would be much more efficient.

• corsair 750HX gold.
    • ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79
    • i7 3930k
    • Archon SB-E X2

So far this is what we have looked at since he has all other components.

I must say even though i have a top ivy i7 quad its very tempting to do the same LOL!
    Last edited by Seiz; 2012-12-17 at 03:49 AM.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    me and a friend were discussing hexcores vs quad cores and he was thinking of using his tax return and build a system with a 3930k and we noticed the CPU did not come with a heatsink.
    Luckily we came across the Archon SB-E X2 air cooler, he wants to set it at about 4.0ghz max for a mild overclock just was looking at coolers and i suggested the 212 fan since it was such a low Over clock etc. But decided the Archon would be much more efficient.
    You should keep in mind that your 3770k is only a 77 watt cpu, whereas the 3930k is a 130 watt cpu. So thats quite some extra heat that the cooler need to handle. So it was a good idea to get the bigger cooler (if its bigger, not sure :P)

Yeah which is why decided on the SB-E X2 here's what it will look like in the mobo with the high profile ram. It's not a cheap cooler, 90 USD for it. But I am sure it will do the job for that mild of a overclock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Aren't we high society.
    "oh Jeeves! the riff-raff is getting in the thread again, please take care of it"

the difference between the 3960x and the 3930k is purely esoteric, it's higher price specifically is to keep it out of the hands of most people, which is what keeps it special, those who look purely at price-vs-performance almost never understand this concept

try to think of it this way:

a Toyota Corolla is a perfectly good car that can suit most people's needs, however it will never be as cool as a Ferrari 458, but if they dropped the price on the Ferrari 458 to match the Corolla, it wouldn't be as cool, because you would come outside one morning and see one parked in every driveway in your neighborhood, once everyone has something, the special-ness of owning one no longer exists. exactly like what happened with the celestial steed mount you can buy in the store, when the model was first previewed on the front page, everyone thought it was cool, until it went on sale and you logged in to see everyone riding one in dalaran, the fact of everyone having it changed it from being cool to a running joke, and similar to other mounts,

if everyone in wow had the orange phoenix mount, would it still be as cool? or would it be another cheesy mount like the celestial steed?

and when you apply that to computers, if you are just after performance, then the 3930k is the better choice, however, if you want the cool factor of having the top end and something that not everyone has, then you get the 3960x
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-12-17 at 01:17 AM.

Cyanotical, what do you think of the combo I posted good?

I know its overkill for gaming but its what he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    it looks good, asus x79 boards are really good, and the new 3930k chips have few good features that other K and X series chips lack

my only suggestion would be that if you are going with the 600t, you should consider the H100i, it will fit perfectly in the case and you will eliminate any concerns over a heatsink, part of the reason i went with the NH-D14 is because H80 i originally went with had some noise issues in the FT02

otherwise my only concern would be heat, the SB-E X2 will be fine for stock clocks and lower voltage, but im not sure how well it would handle overclocking, it should be fine, and stay within the sub 80c mark, but it will be a lot closer to 80c than a NH-D14 or a Silver Arrow Extreme

it looks good, asus x79 boards are really good, and the new 3930k chips have few good features that other K and X series chips lack

my only suggestion would be that if you are going with the 600t, you should consider the H100i, it will fit perfectly in the case and you will eliminate any concerns over a heatsink, part of the reason i went with the NH-D14 is because H80 i originally went with had some noise issues in the FT02

otherwise my only concern would be heat, the SB-E X2 will be fine for stock clocks and lower voltage, but im not sure how well it would handle overclocking, it should be fine, and stay within the sub 80c mark, but it will be a lot closer to 80c than a NH-D14 or a Silver Arrow Extreme
    Well it was only a thought.

Here's the case my friend and I both use currently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133178

Its a full tower I think it would handle the extra heat better than the Corsair case so probably best to keep that and go with the SB-E X2!

Don't want no heat issues with a chip like this!

the difference between the 3960x and the 3930k is purely esoteric, it's higher price specifically is to keep it out of the hands of most people, which is what keeps it special, those who look purely at price-vs-performance almost never understand this concept
    The 3960X has 3mb cache and higher stock clocks. Its probably binned higher.

Yes the 3960X's increase performance does not justify its price. No the two are not the same. I doubt anyone buys 3960Xs because they want to be special snowflakes. They buy it because its the best and money is not an issue for them.

By the way, if you're considering the 3960X, then go for the 3970X which is newer and has higher stock clocks (probably binned higher).

Well decided to just go with the water cooling if it fits perfectly in this case. Build will look like this.

• Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T
    • ASRock X79 Extreme4 LGA 2011 Intel X79
    • Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011
    • CORSAIR Hydro Series H100

Now if we plug the hard drive we have in this new build will windows and all our files still be there be the same as it is now?

Just for temperatures, just going to for 4.0Ghz overclock hopefully with that the temps won't go over 70 Celsius.
    Last edited by Seiz; 2012-12-17 at 05:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Cyanotical, what do you think of the combo I posted good?

I know its overkill for gaming but its what he wants.
    still leaves the question of what you expect to gain from it over your quad-core ?
    so far you haven't specified any special software that would even warrant such a CPU, and judging by the rig in your sig there would be plenty of other "weaker" parts you should upgrade before thinking of a hexa-core imo. (talking gaming aspect here)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    still leaves the question of what you expect to gain from it over your quad-core ?
    so far you haven't specified any special software that would even warrant such a CPU, and judging by the rig in your sig there would be plenty of other "weaker" parts you should upgrade before thinking of a hexa-core imo. (talking gaming aspect here)
    A guy a work with and game with wanted me to find some info on this out for him because he wants to do it. I am just entertaining the idea.

I am happy with my build though, what would you suggest for me? I higher resolution monitor? a new GPU?