Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    You've, what.. proven it through anecdotes that don't apply to the primary obstacle that I presented?
    you said: "The US also seems quite objectionable to music from outside of the country as a very general trend."

Posted 25 counter examples, and those don't count?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    you said: "The US also seems quite objectionable to music from outside of the country as a very general trend."

Posted 25 counter examples, and those don't count?
    I also said "Probably just cultural attributes relating to the prevalence of pop music in the US." If pop music is more well received in the US than many other parts of the world, and this is influential in the prevalence of music due to limits such as air time (which pop music is specifically aimed towards), than it makes sense that said attraction to pop music does not limit its transfer into the US.

I really am wondering, though, why you're so upset about a statement with a conditional that made it extremely broad and nonprecise.

I also said "Probably just cultural attributes relating to the prevalence of pop music in the US." If pop music is more well received in the US than many other parts of the world, and this is influential in the prevalence of music due to limits such as air time (which pop music is specifically aimed towards), than it makes sense that said attraction to pop music does not limit its transfer into the US.

I really am wondering, though, why you're so upset about a statement with a conditional that made it extremely broad and nonprecise.
    What I am really wondering is why you think that American's are open to other types of music generally?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

There are tons of festivals in the US that are like Hard Bass. Electric Forest in Michigan, the Electric Carnival in Vegas. Tons of shit just look. Also Beiber is from Canada. Blame them and Usher. There are lots of Electronic music festivals and festivals that have electronic music as a big headliner. Groups like Pretty Lights, Lotus, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Girl Talk, Big Gigantic etc are all major players in the electronic scene are were grown here in the US. The major radio and TV stations play Rock, Country and Pop because it sells to the masses.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I am really wondering is why you think that American's are open to other types of music generally?
    Because of the limitations on air time and live performances. As pop music is specifically keyed towards such things, it can generally work its way in more, as opposed to say, metal music which is limited in where it will be played. As people generally develop their musical tastes along certain lines (and yes, I used the word generally again), and they are primarily exposed to pop music placing their tastes pretty much in the middle of the road, that is where their interests will lead from there on out.

Because of the limitations on air time and live performances. As pop music is specifically keyed towards such things, it can generally work its way in more, as opposed to say, metal music which is limited in where it will be played. As people generally develop their musical tastes along certain lines (and yes, I used the word generally again), and they are primarily exposed to pop music placing their tastes pretty much in the middle of the road, that is where their interests will lead from there on out.
    Well the USA is one of the most open societies, and we let all the music in the world come here and its very much available because of the internet.

More musical mixing probably goes on here than in any other country because of the variety of cultures we have that bring their culture and music here and it gets mixed with other genres to make entirely different and new sounds.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Spelling on some of these might be wrong.

Carly Rae Jepson

That's something like 25 just off the top of my head from now and other times.

i didn't know she was Canadian, what is it with Canada and annoying music?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    There have been some decent artists out of Canada--Alanis Morissette, Amanda Marshall are two of my favorites.

Justin Bieber though...can we ship him back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Just because there are exceptions doesn't mean his statement is any less true.

Now, if you could list 25-50 artists then you might have a point. But 3? that's what we call exceptions.
    Here is a small fraction of my play list.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Lots of mad.
    You're not helping your case. You don't have to swear to get your point across.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Walk off the earth is a good band from Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude what. People fucking love electronica music here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a problem with most Americans "not" liking Techno or "Club" music, it's more of a mindset of what's popular. The exception being the overly zealous listeners of one particular genre that will never be swayed from there preferences (which from what I can tell from experience, tends to be the "hardcore" metal group, as well as country).

I used to listen to 80s/90s Rock & Metal, as that's what I grew up with, but I slowly moved away from it and gravitated towards techno and trance in the early 2000s and have been listening to all the various genres of EDM ever since, with a particular fondness for Progressive House, Dance, and Trance.

12 years later, here I am still listening to EDM as my primary choice in music, with film/game/anime soundtracks (usually orchestral) as my alternative choices. The biggest draw for me being the (mostly) lack of vocals. I don't mind lyrics, but so as long as it's minimal or adds to the song instead of detracting from the actual music.

Also, inserting the obligatory "Swedish House Mafia" below, ironically it's their "Live at Madison Square Garden" set.

Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 2013-01-16 at 04:44 PM.

The whole EDM scene is exploding in the U.S. atm. Perhaps not hardstyle, but trance, house and the likes are definetly rising at an incredible speed. A lot of DJ's are having U.S. tours these days, as that is simply where it's happening atm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusantos View Post
    The whole EDM scene is exploding in the U.S. atm. Perhaps not hardstyle, but trance, house and the likes are definetly rising at an incredible speed. A lot of DJ's are having U.S. tours these days, as that is simply where it's happening atm.
    Hardstyle's definitely here, just not as huge as the others like you said. They had an entire stage dedicated to it at EDC this past year and consistently had a large number of people there (myself included).

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    After the 90s and majority of rap music turned to garbage I needed something with good beats and a fast tempo so started listening to techno and dance/club music. Pretty much like most styles especially Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore, and Euro Dance but when I got to local bars and clubs people only want to listen to Hip-Hop. Have 3 close friends that own bars and on Friday and Saturday night two of them have a DJ but when I try and get him to play techno either he only plays one or two songs the entire 5 hours hes there or just says "Id love to play some but no one wants to hear that around here" The 3rd just has one of those new jukeboxes that downloads pretty much anything you want to hear but when I play techno he hits the skip button. I love listening to the stuff and have tons of remixes some as long as 4-5 hours. But it seems like most other Americans cant stand the stuff and just wondering why.
    I can offer a few reasons. I'll preface this by saying that most of what I listen to is in the Christian/positive range lyrically, and fills genres from rock to alternative rock to hard rock to metal to metalcore to hardcore and such. This would include a rather large number of varying bands. To better explain who that covers, I'll give a few examples from varying styles (SKIP if you really don't care what kind of "terrible" music I listen to):

--Switchfoot
    --Anberlin
    --Thrice
    --Underoath
    --Haste the Day
    --The Devil Wears Prada
    --Demon Hunter
    --Wolves at the Gate
    --Oh, Sleeper
    --We Came As Romans (really the only heavily-autotuned stuff I listen to)
    --Emery

So, that's just a little bit of an explanation of where I'm coming from on the subject, just for context. What I don't like about techno/electronic/dance/club/house music is somewhat in-line with what I don't like with mainstream hip-hip, rap, dubstep, pop, and other similar types of radio-friendly music. As I said, most of my music is Christian, with basically all of the non-Christian stuff being either formerly-Christian or pseudo-Christian, in the sense that the lyrics are fairly positive in nature (the only strong exceptions would be the occasional Muse and Van Halen I throw in). I pick that stuff (over the mainstream, secular stuff, at least) because of its lyrical content. Stuff on the radio tends to have a negative influence in the lyrics (either in tone or topic, in my mind), but this also affects the stuff that you refer to because I like the vocals/lyrics of my music, and not having them present is a negative for me with that stuff.

The other part of it, in terms of the sound (rather than just lyrical content/presence of vocals) is the thing that you said you like: "good beats and a fast tempo." I do love a lot of the heavier stuff I listen to because of the pace, and how it affects my mood, somewhat (like I don't put on The Devil Wears Prada if I want something to help me sleep...usually). However, the whole thing where that stuff has a "beat" ruins it for me. I don't like the redundant, droning bass and beats with that stuff. I like the complexity and erratic sound of rock and metal (come so with the latter). I also like my music to have instruments involved, and I don't see the overly-processed stuff you're referring to as fitting that niche for me. Yes, I know that there is computer-based editing to all of what I listen to, but when you're not even recording a guitar or drum track, it's pretty sad. For example: I recently saw a video where a music video was shot with a Lumia 920. The thing consisted of drums and 2 keyboards, I think. I replied to the topic on the site that not having a guitar was just crazy.

So, I guess the short answer is: No vocals (or very few that don't affect the songs), boring beats, and too digitized, in terms of how it's made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    I can offer a few reasons. I'll preface this by saying that most of what I listen to is in the Christian/positive range lyrically, and fills genres from rock to alternative rock to hard rock to metal to metalcore to hardcore and such. This would include a rather large number of varying bands. To better explain who that covers, I'll give a few examples from varying styles (SKIP if you really don't care what kind of "terrible" music I listen to):

--Switchfoot
    --Anberlin
    --Thrice
    --Underoath
    --Haste the Day
    --The Devil Wears Prada
    --Demon Hunter
    --Wolves at the Gate
    --Oh, Sleeper
    --We Came As Romans (really the only heavily-autotuned stuff I listen to)
    --Emery

So, that's just a little bit of an explanation of where I'm coming from on the subject, just for context. What I don't like about techno/electronic/dance/club/house music is somewhat in-line with what I don't like with mainstream hip-hip, rap, dubstep, pop, and other similar types of radio-friendly music. As I said, most of my music is Christian, with basically all of the non-Christian stuff being either formerly-Christian or pseudo-Christian, in the sense that the lyrics are fairly positive in nature (the only strong exceptions would be the occasional Muse and Van Halen I throw in). I pick that stuff (over the mainstream, secular stuff, at least) because of its lyrical content. Stuff on the radio tends to have a negative influence in the lyrics (either in tone or topic, in my mind), but this also affects the stuff that you refer to because I like the vocals/lyrics of my music, and not having them present is a negative for me with that stuff.

The other part of it, in terms of the sound (rather than just lyrical content/presence of vocals) is the thing that you said you like: "good beats and a fast tempo." I do love a lot of the heavier stuff I listen to because of the pace, and how it affects my mood, somewhat (like I don't put on The Devil Wears Prada if I want something to help me sleep...usually). However, the whole thing where that stuff has a "beat" ruins it for me. I don't like the redundant, droning bass and beats with that stuff. I like the complexity and erratic sound of rock and metal (come so with the latter). I also like my music to have instruments involved, and I don't see the overly-processed stuff you're referring to as fitting that niche for me. Yes, I know that there is computer-based editing to all of what I listen to, but when you're not even recording a guitar or drum track, it's pretty sad. For example: I recently saw a video where a music video was shot with a Lumia 920. The thing consisted of drums and 2 keyboards, I think. I replied to the topic on the site that not having a guitar was just crazy.

So, I guess the short answer is: No vocals (or very few that don't affect the songs), boring beats, and too digitized, in terms of how it's made.
    I'm not sure if you are serious because you listen to Emery, they are a screamo band.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am British and I must say music from the UK is horrible right now, the US tends to think we in the UK have some of the best music and Americans think they have some of the worst with Justin Beiber and Chris Brown, while sure they are bad you seem to forget that we gave you One Direction (a bunch of cloned Biebers), Cher Lloyd, and Jesse J to try and convince you of how bad our music as gotten.

That aside the US was pretty wise not to accept Techno and club music on themselves back then... . :P
    eh I actually like Jesse j

Deleted
    ill just toss daft punk in the discussion. allthough you cant place daft punk under techno or house. they r a genre themselves and its the best genre there is.
    those guys r absolutely genius.
    having seen them on their alive tour of 07, still the best performance i ever saw i my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusantos View Post

Like who? Anyone in this list:
    Brennan Heart
    Toneshifterz
    Wildstylez
    Noisecontrollers
    Headhunterz
    D-Block & S-te-Fan
    Zatox
    Showtek
    Coone
    Deepack
    Psyko Punkz