Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

WoW being an alt focused mmo now hurts the game most.

Do you remember good old times when you had only 1 character and you cared for him, loved and felt him? These were the true mmorpg times. Today things are different, leveling is so quick and easy, entry point for dungens and raids is so low, BoA items and account wide achievments. Sometimes you are even forced to have multiple alts, because of extra gold, achievments or even raiding. This pretty much ruing whole RPG part of the game. You know the letter R - Role, you should just pick one and stick to it, thats what RPGs are about. Everytime I start an RPG game, I spend a good portion of time at character creation screen. Yes I know, we always create multiple alts even in classic RPG games, but you usually finish the game wih just one, maybe two characters, leaving others with very low levels, unless you are hardcore player of course. In WoW you can have easily top level of every class in a few weeks.

no, I don't remember that. I've always had multiple characters. I am creatively compulsive, so I need to make new characters from time to time. currently I have over 40 toons, a big chunk of them is below level 20, but well, that's life. I don't have enough time to play them all

EDIT: I love and feel for all of my toons though, they are my precious children
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Times change. Variety is the spice of life. I don;t think Alts should be given a free pass towards Faction Rep and all of that, but it doesn't bother me that BLizz does accommodate those guys.

There are many reasons for an Alt-aholic to get the bug, I say let them enjoy the game, but enjoy it playing, not hanging on to the benefits earned by/through a Main.

Deleted
    back in the day i had every class at max level ... now in MoP i simply and only care for my paladin ... i don't want alts, got enough going on for the pally.

I havent had a dedicated alt ever OP. Some of us still preffers to only play on the main. I didn't have more than 2 85's in Cataclysme, my classic alt mage witch I always lvl'd up, geared in semi-accessible gear, and had some fun with. Did the same for other classes aswell sure, but always went back to the main.

edit: silly typo.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2012-12-16 at 05:24 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Most alt un-friendly expansion with the focus on giving people something to do all the time on 1 character and you make this post?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think being anti alt would have hurt the game more, i know i definately wouldnt still be playing the game if i could only have one class at 90. I get bored playing the same class for long.

I've always had alts. Had one of each 60 in vanilla and I've carried on with that and have expanded (now have horde also). It's like anything else, if you enjoy only playing 1 toon then you can do a lot of stuff with that one toon. Some of us like a variety (I personally feel if you only play 1 toon or 1 faction you are only experiencing a fraction of the game). In vanilla and BC I raided a lot more then I do now so I did spend more time on 1 toon and now I don't really raid at all so spend time on multiple toons. It's about how much time somebody has and what they want to do to enjoy the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, this is the most alt-unfriendly expansion yet. Also, I don't give a flying hozen that you only like to play with 1 character. I will play as many alts as I want and there's nothing you can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy Mists of Pandaria quite alot, seeing from an Alt-o-holics view. They give me a bit more choices, they allow me to spread interest on different aspects of fighting. They are a good income as you level, you don't have to be in a hurry, why so fast? You gain bonuses since 5.1, so it's a little easier to have alts (the commendation from factions can be bought at revered, but words from neutral). You can also change your path of levelling, Normally I go full Jade Forest, Full Valley and Kun Lai, then half of Townlong and I ding 90. But sometimes I try something new, A little under full Jade, then go to Krasang Wilds and then half Kun lai to go Dread Wastes.

But it's important that you don't end up feeling that it's a chore, because it's not. It's also important to make differences so you don't grow tired.

I enjoy all my chars, 5 90's, 2, 86's still 18 85's to go and alot under 80 as well.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

we hear this also. the "true" rpg is only with one character...

/facepalm
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you remember good old times when you had only 1 character and you cared for him, loved and felt him?
    Still have her, still love (often :< ) and care for her.

That doesn't mean I don't roll alts though. Usually alts come into play when my priestess is done for the week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Most alt un-friendly expansion with the focus on giving people something to do all the time on 1 character and you make this post?
    LOL pretty much this. Ridiculously stupid topic considering Mists is the 'progress your main' expansion.

Also, as a classic player (started in Dece. 04) everyone I knew and became friends with had tons of alts. I used to bitch, in vanilla, about having 3, 4, 5 of the same person on my friends list because of their various toons. So yeah... I don't really remember those 'good ol' days where people used to play 1 toon and that was it'.

/facepalm
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2012-12-16 at 01:25 PM.

playing only one char is pretty boring

Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    Do you remember good old times when you had only 1 character and you cared for him, loved and felt him? These were the true mmorpg times. Today things are different, leveling is so quick and easy, entry point for dungens and raids is so low, BoA items and account wide achievments. Sometimes you are even forced to have multiple alts, because of extra gold, achievments or even raiding. This pretty much ruing whole RPG part of the game. You know the letter R - Role, you should just pick one and stick to it, thats what RPGs are about. Everytime I start an RPG game, I spend a good portion of time at character creation screen. Yes I know, we always create multiple alts even in classic RPG games, but you usually finish the game wih just one, maybe two characters, leaving others with very low levels, unless you are hardcore player of course. In WoW you can have easily top level of every class in a few weeks.
    Where exactly in your post do you explain how playing alts hurts Wow? It's clear you don't like alts, but how does playing an alt hurt Wow?

For many players, alts are what keeps us playing. I like variety. I doubt many Wow players would rank "alt playing" on any list of things ruining Wow.

I had 3 level 60's back in classic WoW, 2 of them going through BWL and one of them up to Sapphiron in Naxx40.
    All 3 had epic mount before they lowered the cost.
    So no I don't remember when you used to have only one char.

Even though leveling is a lot faster now than it was back then having many alts today is way more work than it was before.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stuff like BoA achieves and items aren't to promote making alts, it's to reduce the penalty of making alts. I have a full eleven characters in my realm, but only one is level 90. I consider my alts to be my main's "assistants" so I don't have to rely on the AH for crafting/gathering.

Unless you really want the "Dynamic Duo" achieve, there isn't anything preventing you from sticking to one character. All the alt stuff is so people who like switching up characters don't have to start completely from scratch.

Deleted
    I have a main since vanilla - nevertheless I have many alts - how would you know anything about other classes or learn how to counter them or use them properly in raid WITHOUT playing alts? apart from the fact that people have alts since ever... even back in the days where it all was pen & paper - NOONE had just one toon...

i disagree 100% . before panda land i had time for alts, now not so much. There is always work to be done on the main nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Lol, this is the most alt-unfriendly expansion yet. Also, I don't give a flying hozen that you only like to play with 1 character. I will play as many alts as I want and there's nothing you can do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    LOL pretty much this. Ridiculously stupid topic considering Mists is the 'progress your main' expansion.

Also, as a classic player (started in Dece. 04) everyone I knew and became friends with had tons of alts. I used to bitch, in vanilla, about having 3, 4, 5 of the same person on my friends list because of their various toons. So yeah... I don't really remember those 'good ol' days where people used to play 1 toon and that was it'.

/facepalm
    MoP is a lot more alt friendly than both classic and TBC, but when compared to cataclysm (which is where I made most of my alts due to max level boredom!) or wotlk, than yes. I agree!

These good old days never existed for me though, I've always wanted to try out several classes and things. Not many of them ended up on max level, but as the game was less about max level in vanilla to start with (or at least, leveling took me ages!!) they received plenty of love.