LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Op must not be playing MoP because here how WoW breaks down:

Vanilla - not alt friendly
    TBC - not alt friendly
    WotLK - alt friendly
    Cataclysm - alt friendly
    MoP- not alt friendly

Sure, you might be able to have a max level toon of every class now because leveling is so comparatively fast, but those alts have shit gear, shit reputation and no chance of getting into a raid or heroic dungeon without some work.

I have 21 toons that were max level or thereabouts before MoP dropped. Since that day, I have only played one (a new monk) and he's still not exalted with all the factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, even when I was a noob I had multiple chars. I didn't like only getting to see one or two classes at max level, I like trying everything to see which I like the most. It doesn't hurt the game at all, if anything it helps it because people like me would get bored and quit if they could only get one or two classes to max level in a reasonable amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    No, not really no. Like. At all.
    How many characters did u level in vanilla?

It could take weeks to get a character from 0 to top level... u clearly never played at that time...

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Its VERY obvious why Blizzard moved the game down the road to every player 'needing' more alts.

And thats to force players to spend more time in Wow.
    What blizzard wants from a business and cost of operations perspective is for people to have active accounts, never log in, and be completely happy.

It doesn't benefit Blizzard to "force players to spend more time in WoW." The less time people play, THE HAPPIER BLIZZARD IS, as long as they stay subscribed.

For example, right now, I am Blizzard's DREAM customer, because I am playing about one hour every other week.

However, it does benefit Blizzard to give players who DO want to play 40+ hours a week something to do.

It could take weeks to get a character from 0 to top level... u clearly never played at that time...
    In my guild, which back in vanilla had every single server-first boss kill except one, some people had 3-4-5 (a few even more) alts. Some even switched mains as early as BWL.

Not everyone plays games the way you do.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    In my guild, which back in vanilla had every single server-first boss kill except one, some people had 3-4-5 (a few even more) alts. Some even switched mains as early as BWL.

Not everyone plays games the way you do.
    Well u know as well as everyone else who played Vanilla that players with more than one character was a RARITY. Itdefinitely wasnt the norm.

U said it yourself, u were a 'pro' player going for realm firsts, therefore u were prepared to invest the insane amount of time to level multiple characters.

The truth is that back in Vanilla the vast majority, and i repeat, VAST MAJORITY of players had only one character at top level.

Basically u just backed up my point

10+ Year Old Account
    Before MoP, I shed most of my alts. I now have a main (shadow priest) and a couple of others that I'll get around to eventually. Probably.

Actually, playing my main without stressing out over leaving alt behind is quite liberating and has encouraged me to do things on my main that I never bothered with before. I'd recommend it.

I don't know that I buy into the business of WoW being an alt-focused MMO. I can see how that started and how the mess that was Cataclysm's end game encouraged it. But people play the way they want to play and that doesn't necessarily mean that because something can be done it was ever intended as a requirement.

No one forced anyone to have 10+ toons at max level.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-16 at 08:46 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yes i remember the old days, and for me the game is still the same, just with more facilities. I still only play 1 charater and love him. I dont care about archivs or gold. BoA items i just look at as the new way to "twink" lowlevels. A decent replecement for the old twink.
    (Must confess i used to play my mage, and i love him the most, i changed main to my priest for MoP because my IRL friendguild needed that. But the 2 charaters i allways have played on is the mage and a priest, and i love both). No point to lvl more alt, play the ones you like...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    Do you remember good old times when you had only 1 character and you cared for him, loved and felt him?
    No, I don't. I had a warrior, warlock, and hunter during classic WoW. Your experience != everyone's experience.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 09:06 PM ----------

Weeks? OMG!!! Yeah, of course it did. That's only an impediment if you have the attention span of a goldfish and need to be max level in 3 days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbojonez View Post
    Weeks? OMG!!! Yeah, of course it did. That's only an impediment if you have the attention span of a goldfish and need to be max level in 3 days.
    u clearly never played Vanilla lmao

It would take 3 days in cata or MoP with 24/7 play but back in vanilla even with 24/7 gameplay it was very impossible to level to top level in 3 days...

back in the days when many quests u needed more than 1 person to complete, in the days when to do dungeons u needed to physically spam trade and wait hours for a group. The days when pulling mroe than 1 mob meant death and then running half of the map in ghostform to get back to your body. The days when EXP was intentionally low for kills and quests.
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2012-12-16 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i disagree op ive always had multiple characters from when i first started. my first toon ever was my mage and i loved him dearly until i created my dk, i played him a little then made my druid. My druid became my main for awhile but ultimately i love them all equaly. but thats just me there are still people out there than play only one toon

op is the perfect example that anyone can make up random stuff and call them "facts", even tho they very clearly arent.

sometimes its not as clear, but people really like to claim their thoughts as "facts" it seems... even tho they cant see the full picture most of the time.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 10:44 PM ----------

u clearly never played Vanilla lmao

It would take 3 days in cata or MoP with 24/7 play but back in vanilla even with 24/7 gameplay it was very impossible to level to top level in 3 days...

back in the days when many quests u needed more than 1 person to complete, in the days when to do dungeons u needed to physically spam trade and wait hours for a group. The days when pulling mroe than 1 mob meant death and then running half of the map in ghostform to get back to your body. The days when EXP was intentionally low for kills and quests.
    or you could play a hunter or a warlock who could pretty much solo every elitequest back then :> - i believe even frostmages(without pet) were easily able to kite down almost any elite-mob.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want an alt-friendly game, look at ToR. The game has next to no endgame, and has whole systems to promote alt playing.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Most alt un-friendly expansion with the focus on giving people something to do all the time on 1 character and you make this post?
    Haha I was just thinking the same thing.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm... This should have been posted during WotLK when Heirloom was invented. In MoP right now having tons of alts is fairly implausible. The time required to rep up and experience everything with a single character is quite large. Anyways, I have 1 main I will usually play per expansion, and I have one of every class other than Monk over level 80. It keeps me from burning out by leveling and messing around on alts when I'm trying to do something mindless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think WoTLK and Cata making alts easier is somewhat the reason that Blizzard has been forced to trivialize content so much. People are spending their time being mediocre at multiple classes instead of being great at one or two classes.

As such, they complain when they switch from their mediocre hunter to mediocre priest and can't complete things with ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW didn't go and tell people to go play alts. Players decided to. Things evolve for better or worse.

The only reason I had one solid main "back in the day" was because it was so difficult to raid ON an alt, whether it be in an alt raid or to change mains. The only way you could do it was if you had everything close to farm content, which in TBC took a while, especially with things like having to farm resist gear for SSC and BT, etc.

This is an MMO, I realize part of it is RPG, but if you are so keen to only having one main, then I don't really understand how other people having multiple alts effects you. You say RPG so much that maybe you should go play an RPG instead. You haven't really argued in one solid way as to how the game being alt focused hurts the game the most, aside from the "RPG" part, which isn't a strong argument in the first place.

Which is it? Is WoW non alt friendly or is it Alt friendly. All you hear is its not alt friendly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Before MoP, I shed most of my alts. I now have a main (shadow priest) and a couple of others that I'll get around to eventually. Probably.

Actually, playing my main without stressing out over leaving alt behind is quite liberating and has encouraged me to do things on my main that I never bothered with before. I'd recommend it.

I don't know that I buy into the business of WoW being an alt-focused MMO. I can see how that started and how the mess that was Cataclysm's end game encouraged it. But people play the way they want to play and that doesn't necessarily mean that because something can be done it was ever intended as a requirement.

No one forced anyone to have 10+ toons at max level.
    I share this sentiment completely. Hell, I'm even leveling my pet battles and finishing off the pet battle achievements before I move on to playing my alts... with one exception. I am feeding my alts profession materials. Most of them have maxed out their crafting professions even though they're still level 85.