Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Tinker is the next class I really want in the game. I do feel that Night Elves, Taurens (or Trolls), and Pandarens should be ban form this class. Most Night Elves are not fans of tech. nether are Taurens and Trolls are not big one it. But for balance one against to be a tinker. As for way Pandarens is because they have been cute off form the world for 10,000 years.

I like tinkers to be hunter with out pets my self. They could have turrets which could be like shaman totems but more offensive. Could have some temporary robot pets too. My spec ideas are this: Steam Warrior, Marksmanship, and Not sure (Was Medic for healing but is not need it any more with monks. Sapper and Robotics are an ideas).

Steam Warrior would be melee dps with a mech suit. Like the sherders. Most of my friends say tank, but I feel we are good with 5 tanks.
    there Marksmanship is a pet less hunter. Something that has been asked for but I feel giving hunters a pet less opposition is not good. So a new class could do it.

Now feeling that a healing spec is not need, I need a new 3rd idea to put here. (Sapper and Robotics being mine)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    7. Like Monks, Tinkers can fit into any expansion, so Blizzard has plenty of flexibility with where and when to implement the class.
    I don't agree with this, could you really see Monks around in TBC, or Cataclysm? Who would've taught people to be Monks since Pandaria is their place of origin, and prior to MoP nobody could enter/leave Pandaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    I don't agree with this, could you really see Monks around in TBC, or Cataclysm? Who would've taught people to be Monks since Pandaria is their place of origin, and prior to MoP nobody could enter/leave Pandaria.
    Keep in mind that there were Monks even in Vanilla WoW. The Scarlet Crusade has been training Monks in WoW for years. Blizzard also wanted Pandarians in TBC, but chose the Draenei instead.

Also, the playable Pandarens don't come from Pandaria, they come from the wandering isle. The Pandaren leaving the isle and teaching Monk abilities actually predates the discovery of Pandaria.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durh View Post
    Completely unrealistic tbh

While it was a hero in WCIII::TFT, it would have no wow feel, who would want to play engineer as class? relying on machine powers aren't really the wow style.
    LoL No WoW feel? I rode a Steamship to Northrend, rode a drill machine into BRD, hopped on a heavily armed airship to Pandaria, and performed bombing raids on airplanes and gyrocopters.

Also what's the difference between relying on magic and relying on technology?

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Gnomes and goblins aren't the only races with engineering prowess or machinery. Blood Elves have arcane powered constructs and machinery, Night Elves have motorized siege weaponry, Dwarves build tanks, Draenei were familiarized with Naaru technology to traverse the stars.
    Let's also not forget the Forsaken who use technological and biological weapons. Apothecary could be a healing/utility spec for this class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxzas View Post
    If anything, tinkers should be locked specifically to gnomes and goblins. Seems more appropriate.
    Forcing alliance players to play gnomes if they want to try out a new class is anything BUT appropriate.

Also what's the difference between relying on magic and relying on technology?
    In wow there isn't one really, in fact the game mixes magic with technology all the time, like mana and reckoning bombs. It's just something I've pointed out earlier, engineering the profession more or less turns any race/class into a "tinker". Granted you can only use one speciality tinker per slot but still, the arsenal is large and the functions endless. It would take a huge amount of work to make a profession a class without redundancy or stepping on toes, and even more so making specs function differently. And there's no way you could limit the races available to it either because any race can be an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    This is quite possibly the least interesting new class they could add to the game. Do not want.
    Care to explain this one? You should give your own opinion when bashing others.

Before MoP was announced, I made a thread about Runemasters being the next class in WoW. Well as we all know now, the new class became Monks, but a lot of my arguments for Runemasters was used to justify the existence of a Monk class. You can read the thread here;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-class-in-WoW

I feel that I was spot on in most of those arguments. The main reason I was incorrect is because I believed that Blizzard would use Runemasters instead of Monks to try to be bit different. So now let's see why the Tinker is the best bet for the next WoW class:

Why this class?

1.They could wear mail armor, filling out the Mail classes. They could even wear INT mail, so that Shaman wouldn't be the only ones utilizing that type of armor.

2.They could use guns and/or bows. Currently, only Hunters use such weapons. Also Tinkers could fulfil the desire of many players to have a pet-less physical ranged class.

3. The game already possesses a technological/steam punk edge that isn't utilized by any of the classes. Engineering helps, but Engineering is a crafting skill, and the entire profession amounts to crafting mounts, armor, and weapons, not utilizing offensive and defensive abilities.

4. There are units and hero units from WC3 that utilize Tinker abilities. The Goblin Tinker, like the Pandaren Brewmaster, could be the basis for an entire class. Also the Tinker has an extensive history in WoW RPG games.

5. The Tinker would be unlike any other class currently in the game. There is literally no other class in the game that would be anything like the Tinker class.

6. Almost any race could be a Tinker. Unlike DH or Warden ideas, any race could study engineering and technology.

7. Like Monks, Tinkers can fit into any expansion, so Blizzard has plenty of flexibility with where and when to implement the class.

8. Tinkers can fill any group role. DPS, Tanking, or Healing works great with the Tinker class, again adding to its flexibility in terms of implementation.

Of course there are arguments against Tinker as a new class, but most of those are from people who are against new classes in general. However, the main argument against this class is that it's too much like the profession Engineering. As mentioned before, Engineering is a crafting skill. A Tinker class would use offensive and defensive abilities. Also there's plenty of room within this class idea to make things very different from the Engineering profession. Also any engineer will tell you that the offensive abilities are more for laughs than actual use.

Well, there's my argument. You read about my ideas for the actual Tinker class here;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ss-idea-Tinker

Sounds cool. But I hate the word "Tinker". Change it to "Sapper". Sappers are engineers that work with frontline infantry/raid.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Forcing alliance players to play gnomes if they want to try out a new class is anything BUT appropriate.
    It's not forcing anything. You are volunteering to try out a class. If you absolutely lose your shit over having to play a gnome or goblin, then don't play it. And get some help.

You could say "Blizzard is forcing me to not be able to play a Death Knight Panda.". But nothing is forced. You don't even have to log in.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2012-12-16 at 11:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    I've never seen a Blood Elf with a positron collider attached to his or her back. Maybe they should consider leaving this stuff to the professionals.
    Why don't you ask Rhonin how professional their engineering is?

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    This is quite possibly the least interesting new class they could add to the game. Do not want.
    I 100% agree with this. Personal preference and all that, but there is absolutely nothing appealing or interesting about this potential class to me at all. And this is coming from someone who has engineering on 5 toons and enjoys messing around with it. It's just too much.

@o.p: Your argument of "well it may be LIKE engineering but it's not a profession!" doesn't really hold water. It's still essentially a character that just has a whole bunch of engineering abilities.

Before MoP was announced, I made a thread about Runemasters being the next class in WoW. Well as we all know now, the new class became Monks, but a lot of my arguments for Runemasters was used to justify the existence of a Monk class. You can read the thread here;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-class-in-WoW

I feel that I was spot on in most of those arguments. The main reason I was incorrect is because I believed that Blizzard would use Runemasters instead of Monks to try to be bit different. So now let's see why the Tinker is the best bet for the next WoW class:

Why this class?

1.They could wear mail armor, filling out the Mail classes. They could even wear INT mail, so that Shaman wouldn't be the only ones utilizing that type of armor.

2.They could use guns and/or bows. Currently, only Hunters use such weapons. Also Tinkers could fulfil the desire of many players to have a pet-less physical ranged class.

3. The game already possesses a technological/steam punk edge that isn't utilized by any of the classes. Engineering helps, but Engineering is a crafting skill, and the entire profession amounts to crafting mounts, armor, and weapons, not utilizing offensive and defensive abilities.

4. There are units and hero units from WC3 that utilize Tinker abilities. The Goblin Tinker, like the Pandaren Brewmaster, could be the basis for an entire class. Also the Tinker has an extensive history in WoW RPG games.

5. The Tinker would be unlike any other class currently in the game. There is literally no other class in the game that would be anything like the Tinker class.

6. Almost any race could be a Tinker. Unlike DH or Warden ideas, any race could study engineering and technology.

8. Tinkers can fill any group role. DPS, Tanking, or Healing works great with the Tinker class, again adding to its flexibility in terms of implementation.

Of course there are arguments against Tinker as a new class, but most of those are from people who are against new classes in general. However, the main argument against this class is that it's too much like the profession Engineering. As mentioned before, Engineering is a crafting skill. A Tinker class would use offensive and defensive abilities. Also there's plenty of room within this class idea to make things very different from the Engineering profession. Also any engineer will tell you that the offensive abilities are more for laughs than actual use.

Well, there's my argument. You read about my ideas for the actual Tinker class here;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ss-idea-Tinker

I think this one is a lot cooler and more cogent than your Runemaster idea. I'd definitely give this class a try.

Although some people would definitely disparage this idea for being too "un-WoW like" or too steampunk-esque in nature, I think there are enough of those elements within the game to justify a Tinker class; as long as they didn't make it too futuristic and found a nice, mitigated fusion between technology and fantasy, I don't see how this would detract from the lore. Nice work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    I 100% agree with this. Personal preference and all that, but there is absolutely nothing appealing or interesting about this potential class to me at all. And this is coming from someone who has engineering on 5 toons and enjoys messing around with it. It's just too much.

@o.p: Your argument of "well it may be LIKE engineering but it's not a profession!" doesn't really hold water. It's still essentially a character that just has a whole bunch of engineering abilities.
    Except it isn't like Engineering at all. For one thing, a class has active abilities and passive abilities along with talents. Crafting abilities allow you to build mounts, armor, and weapons. A Tinker class wouldn't be building anything. You would be using class abilities. Also it would be fairly easy to make class abilities that don't exist in the Engineering profession, or make the Tinker class completely different from Engineering entirely.

With that said, Engineering would make a nice compliment to a person leveling a Tinker, and no doubt help with RPing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    Why don't you ask Rhonin how professional their engineering is?
    I'll do better. I'll ask him to cross the streams with another idiot Blood Elf so that seventy-six Goblins can find out what happens.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Except it isn't like Engineering at all. For one thing, a class has active abilities and passive abilities along with talents. Crafting abilities allow you to build mounts, armor, and weapons. A Tinker class wouldn't be building anything. You would be using class abilities. Also it would be fairly easy to make class abilities that don't exist in the Engineering profession, or make the Tinker class completely different from Engineering entirely.

With that said, Engineering would make a nice compliment to a person leveling a Tinker, and no doubt help with RPing.
    At level 5 they should get a passive that increase there engineer skill level. Like the gnome racial dose.

Regardless of mechanics, I think there's too much thematic overlap with engineering to really make it work. On top of that, the most recently added class was basically non-existent as far as visibility went, until MoP actually shipped (which is basically saying Monks were a total ass-pull). You can get away with that sort of thing every now and then, but not twice in a row. Then there's the requirement that new classes have to fit well with the expansion they were introduced in... and I'm not sure we're ready for World of Warcraft: Rise of the Steampunks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalept View Post
    Regardless of mechanics, 1. I think there's too much thematic overlap with engineering to really make it work. 2. On top of that, the most recently added class was basically non-existent as far as visibility went, until MoP actually shipped (which is basically saying Monks were a total ass-pull). You can get away with that sort of thing every now and then, but not twice in a row. 3. Then there's the requirement that new classes have to fit well with the expansion they were introduced in... and I'm not sure we're ready for World of Warcraft3.: Rise of the Steampunks.
    1. Thematic overlap isn't an issue. Look at Priests and Paladins for example. And in that case we're talking about 2 classes which are very different from each other even though they're very similar in a thematic sense.

2.Not really. See the OP where I pointed out that a Monk-like class was coming in the next expansion. Also the Pandaren Brewmaster (which is the foundation of the Monk class) has been a part of WC lore since WC3:TFT.

3. If the next expansion is focusing on the Horde and Alliance war, then Tinkers being the next class would make sense. The Horde and the Alliance are using high technology in their military engagements as seen in the attack on Gilineas with the forsaken, the bombing of Theramore, and the two highly advanced airships used by the Alliance and the Horde.

Aside from saying "do want Wardens", (I know they'd be night elf-only)

I would love to play a Tinker, if tanking would be akin to functioning like a Steam Warrior, with a huge phlogiston(or anything else)-powered Steam Suit. Shame it'd probably all look similiar.

It would be cool if you could have class-restricted enchants like with Death Knights. Things like Mongoose, that it makes your weapon glow with electricity; except a bit more focused in that it doesn't look a cloud, but electricity wrapping around the weapon of choice.

It would also be cool if a DPS-specced Tinker could choose between melee and ranged fighting. Like me wanting to use two one-handed or one two-handed gun while my friend uses a two-handed sword. That'd be sweet. I'm not that big a fan of the name 'Tinker' though. It all makes it seem too gnomish.

*dreams off, imagining something along the lines of a DPS Tinker being covered in an exoskeleton-like armor plating and a tank one summoning a huge Steam Suit, much like a shredder*

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a tinker class. Would be EPIC! Also 1H pistols. As mentioned before in this thread!

Deleted
    I would love to play Tinker if they had a bomber-man spec like the engineer class in Guild Wars 2, it was so fun to run around and throw bombs on everyone
    and as weapons main-hand: wrench and off-hand: Shield or Bombs in main-hand? i just love bombs sorry

I'm still surprised no one liked my "Poop Monger" idea for a class