Prot - Elegon dps, ranking

Hey all, will be killing Elegon 10 tonight as we have a few new dps i'm looking to increase mine to make sure Elegon goes quite smooth.

I normally burst 100-130k and stable 50-75k.

My question, woL shows the top prot dps rank on 10 Elegon N being in the 170ks. How on earth do people do this?

I normally pre pot, charge and MT Elegon, poping all my offensive Cds such as HA and do the normal CS, SotR, Judge, SotR...

Do people use full dps gear or something along with some special tactic?

We only get 2 adds on the first P1, and 3 on the 2nd P1. we kill 4x orbs and then dps ele on the 5th both times...
    Since our dps are new to Elegon, we might get 4 adds on the 2nd P1 tonight depends... but either way any light on this insane dps on the WoL ranks would be appreciated.

Amongst many things, they use stuff like:

Tricks of the Trade (15% damage/6 sec, 30sec CD)
    Unholy Frenzy (20% mHaste/30sec, 3min CD)

Extremely short fights also inflate your dps, as will pushing more sparks (means more damage done to the boss in a shorter time period in P2).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Amongst many things, they use stuff like:

Tricks of the Trade (15% damage/6 sec, 30sec CD)
    Unholy Frenzy (20% mHaste/30sec, 3min CD)

Extremely short fights also inflate your dps, as will pushing more sparks (means more damage done to the boss in a shorter time period in P2).
    This.
    Always take World of logs with a pinch of salt.

To get numbers like that in 10man you probably have to use 2 haste trinkets. The 4p pvp set bonus will also help (the pvp pieces happen to have lots and lots of haste as well). But this doesnt explain the ridiculous dmg on its own. Judging by damage taken, the top ranking paladin is doing a lot of solo tanking and boosting that debuff high to get ridiculous vengeance.

Deleted
    WoL needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There are several ways to cheese the meters on that fight. The top logs have used the following tactics:

Short fights
    Let the paladin tank take up all small adds, pop shit ton of cooldowns and let him solo all the adds.
    In the burn phase - Everyone just heal and let the paladin basically kill the boss solo in the last 20%
    Notice that the top log the paladin did 25% of the raids dps.

That said, I hold a top 5 on elegon without using any special tactic or trick at all, just simply using my rotation and maximizing uptime. Reaching over 100k dps is very very easy. Just do you rotation and understand what to dps and when.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2012-12-16 at 06:23 PM.

also some people kill more than 4 orbs, which is 10% increased dmg each wave, so lets say 6 or even 7 everytime= 120/140% increased damage

Deleted
    yeh i think my best is around 152k on heroic with 505 itemlvl

as people said above we kill 5 adds, so he gets 6 buffs each time giving him a 120% buff. merger that with avenging wrath and holy avenger....im doing 160% extra damage to the boss with heroism, strength pot and double trinket proc.

plus that i save my cooldowns, i have the two BiS HC trinkets (and with haste and one with a haste proc) and i also glyph on purpose to get high ranks as we are on farm. i.e i dont take battle healer and switch it for the holy wrath dmg increase one. and also that in my current gear i have 16.7% haste unbuffed.

and not to mention i abuse veng when i can and i hold the boss for the majority of p3.

i dont receive any TOTT or any other gimmic....just good gear, correct gemming and rotation and a little more emphasis on damage than survivability. reaching the 150k + number isnt hard when you have the items

so yeh people like me and others who hold the high ranks are normally from guilds that have it on farm and we change things around to remove survivability to gain more damage

Deleted
    I have heard about people solo tanking this with a melee dps grabbing the add, Army of the dead dealing with 1 side of a transition phase, Tanks can survive 30-35 stacks with proper cd management internal and external, not to mention how a prot pallys self heals go through the roof with enough vengeance. I imagine this is one of the ways these numbers can be obtained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronus View Post
    I have heard about people solo tanking this with a melee dps grabbing the add, Army of the dead dealing with 1 side of a transition phase, Tanks can survive 30-35 stacks with proper cd management internal and external, not to mention how a prot pallys self heals go through the roof with enough vengeance. I imagine this is one of the ways these numbers can be obtained.
    We never got higher than 20 stacks in p3. Not even on our first kill. It just doesn't go that long.

Deleted
    Maybe but from experience you get 9 maybe 10 stacks per tank switch for the adds. In general in my guild we get 2 adds in p1 before the transition. Thats at least 30 stacks right there. In p3 yeah i couldnt see me getting more than 20 as it goes over so fast.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 05:01 PM ----------

Looking at the guy ranked 1st on wol
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4764&e=5316
    There is another pally tank there aswell, who took less damage than a melee. Looked as though he was only there to pick adds up, only took 1 celestial breath which looks accidental. Looking at this log it looks like the pally tank doing 171k dps was constantly on the boss

Deleted
    It is actually possible to tank both Elegon and the protectors with 1 tank. Just use CDs when they explode inside.

Our tankadin usually pulls numbers like this. The only "special" thing we do really is that he always has the boss on him (off-tank goes cat most of the time), and on the pull he already has the stacks up to about 40 so he gets high vengeance immediately.

We've done this with me solo healing it as well, the damage really isn't risky when pulling with high stacks as long as said tankadin knows what he's doing. Don't think I've seen him drop below 50% on the fight.