Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

oh, i´m sorry, because locked out moved the goal post and you followed, i´m ignorant

right... good then lets talk about rich people getting away with DUI´s and other stuff, what in the hell has this to do with gun control or preventive actions against repeat offenders?
    Gee, I don't know...

In the story I linked, the guy had just been arrested for his 7th DUI...

Meaning he had been arrested for DUI 6 other times before the latest one...

What you might call, a 'repeat offender.'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Gee, I don't know...

In the story I linked, the guy had just been arrested for his 7th DUI...

Meaning he had been arrested for DUI 6 other times before the latest one...

What you might call, a 'repeat offender.'
    there were no preventive actions in place... so what´s your point? that there are repeat offenders? no shit

the laws are not working when something like this can happen repeatedly
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    there were no preventive actions in place... so what´s your point? that there are repeat offenders? no shit

the laws are not working when something like this can happen repeatedly
    Then why implement more laws? Why not enforce the laws we already have on the books?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Then why implement more laws? Why not enforce the laws we already have on the books?
    They won't answer that question.

10+ Year Old Account
    In order to successfully investigate, prosecute, and convict criminals, an entire series of different laws are needed. Not just a single law, but many. Laws work in tandem with each other, and make it easier to quickly and accurately prosecute an individual.

Take a centralized registration law, for example. Right now, in order for the ATF to perform a trace, they need to go to the manufacturer, the wholesaler, and the dealer, in hopes that someone has the information they're looking for. It's timely and unnecessary. If they had an additional law on the books, it would help them enforce current laws faster, and more accurately.

This whole, "just enforce the laws we already have," is complete rubbish. The ATF is completely hamstrung. They don't have the ability to enforce the laws we currently have. They're underfunded, understaffed, and don't have the resources necessary (laws) to aggressively pursue illegal firearm ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    They won't answer that question.
    Oooooooops!
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    In order to successfully investigate, prosecute, and convict criminals, an entire series of different laws are needed. Not just a single law, but many. Laws work in tandem with each other, and make it easier to quickly and accurately prosecute an individual.

Take a centralized registration law, for example. Right now, in order for the ATF to perform a trace, they need to go to the manufacturer, the wholesaler, and the dealer, in hopes that someone has the information they're looking for. It's timely and unnecessary. If they had an additional law on the books, it would help them enforce current laws faster, and more accurately.

This whole, "just enforce the laws we already have," is complete rubbish. The ATF is completely hamstrung. They don't have the ability to enforce the laws we currently have. They're underfunded, understaffed, and don't have the resources necessary (laws) to aggressively pursue illegal firearm ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooooooops!
    Yet you fail to address how you to get the hundreds of millions of guns currently in circulation registered. It's naive to think that the vast majority of people will go down to their local police stations to get their weapons tagged and in the system. It simply won't happen.

Obviously you'd be able to register any weapons made past X date once the bill is made into a law.

Hoping to catch people during traffic stops or something and PRAYING they have their unregistered guns in their car is really the only way to find people. And considering how many people own guns, how long do you think it would actually take to have an effect on the weapons currently in the system?
    Last edited by TwoNineMarine; 2014-05-23 at 12:05 PM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

- - - Updated - - -

Oooooooops!

Gun registration is not going to happen. It just wont.....I mean it has preceded repossession followed by heinous crimes.

Thank God you are not in charge of making policy. The ATF already infringes on our rights enough through their own interpretations.

What good would gun registration do anyways? What do you hope to accomplish with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet you fail to address how you to get the hundreds of millions of guns currently in circulation registered.
    The question asked wasn't "how do you get hundreds of millions of guns registered", it was "why don't we just enforce current laws." And I've answered it.

It's naive to think that the vast majority of people will go down to their local police stations to get their weapons tagged and in the system. It simply won't happen.
    Not with that attitude, it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Gun registration is not going to happen. It just wont.....I mean it has preceded repossession followed by heinous crimes.
    So if the US implements registrations, it will lead to confiscation and the slaughter of our people? Do people actually believe that?

Thank God you are not in charge of making policy. The ATF already infringes on our rights enough through their own interpretations.
    Which interpretation of which law is an infringement on our rights. Be specific.

What good would gun registration do anyways? What do you hope to accomplish with it?
    Quick and accurate tracing of firearms used in crimes.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok. Avoid the question because that's not what I originally asked.

Let me make it simple.

Answer this question: How do you get hundreds of millions of guns registered?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok. Avoid the question because that's not what I originally asked.

Let me make it simple.

Answer this question: How do you get hundreds of millions of guns registered?
    I'm sure there's plenty of effective ways to initiate registration. Personally, I'd be fine starting with new firearm purchases. If you wanted to implement it further, create a federal law that requires people to register their firearms with their local police departments. Give them 1 year. After that period, possession of an unregistered firearm would be a federal offense. People then have a choice to make: risk getting caught with an unregistered firearm, or be a good law-abiding citizen, and register your weapon.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there's plenty of effective ways to initiate registration. Personally, I'd be fine starting with new firearm purchases. If you wanted to implement it further, create a federal law that requires people to register their firearms with their local police departments. Give them 1 year. After that period, possession of an unregistered firearm would be a federal offense. People then have a choice to make: risk getting caught with an unregistered firearm, or be a good law-abiding citizen, and register your weapon.
    A good law abiding citizen? Because even though they've done nothing different they would now be felons? Fat fucking chance. I'd personally take the risk.

I'd love to see the numbers of people in Connecticut who registered their weapons vs those that didn't even though it became the law.

Making law abiding citizens into felons even though they've done nothing different is stupid as fuck. Not to mention cowardly. Felonizing other people because you are afraid of those mean scary guns is pathetic.

Let's say half of the people in this country registered their guns. That leaves the other half as 'felons'. How long do you think it'll take to get all their weapons registered? Especially if they do nothing wrong and as such you aren't able to find out whether or not they have weapons.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there's plenty of effective ways to initiate registration. Personally, I'd be fine starting with new firearm purchases.
    That is the smart way to do it. Which I have no issue with. But any step beyond that in order to get all guns registered will not work.

10+ Year Old Account
    A good law abiding citizen? Because even though they've done nothing different they would now be felons? Fat fucking chance. I'd personally take the risk.
    Why would you risk a class D felony, when all you'd have to do to comply is register your firearms? That's idiotic.

I'd love to see the numbers of people in Connecticut who registered their weapons vs those that didn't even though it became the law.
    50,000 people registered. Estimates of 20,000 to 100,000 failed to register.

The real number I'd like to see is this: How many people in Connecticut that registered their firearms have had them confiscated?
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd risk it because I've done nothing wrong. I've committed no crimes. Making me a felon because you are afraid of weapons is moronic.

So I'll risk it. As will the vast majority of people I imagine.

And if the government wanted to confiscate weapons then they wouldn't do it after one state requires registration. They'd wait until every state has to register. Would defeat the purpose if people saw that confiscation was the goal because one state jumped the gun and did it.

The real number I'd like to see is this: How many people in Connecticut that registered their firearms have had them confiscated?
    They'll just rationalize some other excuse to feel better. Because the answer puts a giant fucking dent in their slippery slope.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-05-23 at 02:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yet you fail to address how you to get the hundreds of millions of guns currently in circulation registered. It's naive to think that the vast majority of people will go down to their local police stations to get their weapons tagged and in the system. It simply won't happen.

Obviously you'd be able to register any weapons made past X date once the bill is made into a law.

Hoping to catch people during traffic stops or something and PRAYING they have their unregistered guns in their car is really the only way to find people. And considering how many people own guns, how long do you think it would actually take to have an effect on the weapons currently in the system?
    You are banking on people not following a law?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    You are banking on people not following a law?
    I'm banking on the fact that registration would do nothing to curb gun crime. Which is the apparent goal here.

And just FYI I'd argue just as passionately if some law made where you can talk about something and this place on January 1st and then make it illegal to do the same thing on the 2nd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd risk it because I've done nothing wrong. I've committed no crimes.
    But if you fail to register your firearm (if it becomes law), then you have done something wrong. You have committed a crime.

So I'll ask again: Why would you risk a class D felony, when all you have to do is comply with registration?

Making me a felon because you are afraid of weapons is moronic.
    No one is making you a felon. If you made the conscious decision to disregard a law, you've made yourself a felon.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    But if you fail to register your firearm (if it becomes law), then you have done something wrong. You have committed a crime.

So I'll ask again: Why would you risk a class D felony, when all you have to do is comply with registration?

No one is making you a felon. If you made the conscious decision to disregard a law, you've made yourself a felon.
    The law makers that passed a law that had me as a law abiding citizen one day and a felon the next. So yes, they are making me a felon.

I'd risk it, as would the vast majority of gun owners here in the US. I just imagine I'd put more rounds down range because I wouldn't go shooting as often.

I wouldn't comply with a law that is fundamentally wrong. Is it the law? Yes. Is it right? No.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm banking on the fact that registration would do nothing to curb gun crime. Which is the apparent goal here.

And just FYI I'd argue just as passionately if some law made where you can talk about something and this place on January 1st and then make it illegal to do the same thing on the 2nd.
    No, you said yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    It's naive to think that the vast majority of people will go down to their local police stations to get their weapons tagged and in the system. It simply won't happen.
    You are resting your entire argument that people will willingly break the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.