Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What would " highly regulated" do to stop "hundreds of thousands of firearms are stolen from private residences"?
    I'd be happy to answer that after you answer the questions I've asked of you, which you continue to dodge:

I would also like lockedout to reconcile this point:

"We use random-digit-dial telephone survey data" I don't take these seriously sorry.
    Yet earlier in this thread you were touting this poll:

Support for gun rights is higher than it’s been in decades, according to the latest data from the Pew Research Center that signals a stunning turnaround in how Americans feel about the issue just two years after the Newtown school shooting.
    And how did Pew obtain those results?

Quote Originally Posted by Pew Research Center
    The analysis in this report is based on telephone interviews

So lockedout, do you only take those surveys seriously when they support your worldview?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I'd be happy to answer that after you answer the questions I've asked of you, which you continue to dodge:

I would also like lockedout to reconcile this point:

Yet earlier in this thread you were touting this poll:

And how did Pew obtain those results?

So lockedout, do you only take those surveys seriously when they support your worldview?
    No I don't even take the one I posted seriously to be honest but when I am dealing with someone who only accepts "scientific studies" I linked it. Calling 5,000 people in California does not represent the entire nation. So now What would " highly regulated" do to stop "hundreds of thousands of firearms are stolen from private residences"?

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't even take the one I posted seriously to be honest but when I am dealing with someone who only accepts "scientific studies" I linked it. Calling 5,000 people in California does not represent the entire nation.
    If you don't take your own studies seriously, then what's the point in posting them?

Calling 5,000 random people in California represents California. It's one piece of evidence that supports the overall theory.

It's also funny how I linked several pieces of evidence, and you were only able to criticize one. I'll take that to mean you accept the others as valid.

So now What would " highly regulated" do to stop "hundreds of thousands of firearms are stolen from private residences"?
    It would hold owners accountable for their stolen firearms, as they should be. Since the vast majority of firearm owners are responsible and law-abiding, they would follow safe storage laws, and those that don't would be punished accordingly.

Without any regulation on how to store a firearm, there's no incentive to store it safely.
    Eat yo vegetables

If you don't take your own studies seriously, then what's the point in posting them?

Calling 5,000 random people in California represents California. It's one piece of evidence that supports the overall theory.

It's also funny how I linked several pieces of evidence, and you were only able to criticize one. I'll take that to mean you accept the others as valid.

It would hold owners accountable for their stolen firearms, as they should be. Since the vast majority of firearm owners are responsible and law-abiding, they would follow safe storage laws, and those that don't would be punished accordingly.

Without any regulation on how to store a firearm, there's no incentive to store it safely.
    It's not "my" study, it's PEW's.

Are owners of only guns going to be responsible for items that are stolen from them or does this go for other items as well?
    How would these safe storage laws work? You have to store all firearms in a safe? Is a handgun biometric safe ok? Are there requirements of a certain size/make of a safe or will any safe do?

15+ Year Old Account

Are owners of only guns going to be responsible for items that are stolen from them or does this go for other items as well?

How would these safe storage laws work? You have to store all firearms in a safe? Is a handgun biometric safe ok? Are there requirements of a certain size/make of a safe or will any safe do?
    bad comparison coming up next
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted

Make firearms like cash in terms of insurance policy, so no coverage if they get stolen, and encourage people to store them properly when buying them, maybe even add a government funded program that includes rebates on firearm safes.

There is also a difference between calling and asking someone's opinion, and calling and asking them if they have committed a crime recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Make firearms like cash in terms of insurance policy, so no coverage if they get stolen, and encourage people to store them properly when buying them, maybe even add a government funded program that includes rebates on firearm safes.
    No coverage if a gun gets stolen. Ok how does that help people here want you to be liable for what happens after someone steals your gun. I have been advocating government tax credit for having firearm storage 500 pages ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    There is also a difference between calling and asking someone's opinion, and calling and asking them if they have committed a crime recently.
    Not to mention if you do own a gun legally or illegally answering questions about it over the phone to a total stranger is beyond dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do these insignificant questions have to do with whether or not firearm regulation could reduce theft.

There's already evidence that firearm theft rates are dramatically lower in states with safe storage laws.

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing they weren't calling people and asking them if they've committed a crime recently.
    Eat yo vegetables

What do these insignificant questions have to do with whether or not firearm regulation could reduce theft.

There's already evidence that firearm theft rates are dramatically lower in states with safe storage laws.
    They are very relevant and that's why you are avoiding answering them. Only a large safe that is either to heavy to be lifted or is bolted to the floor will be a decent deterrent. Any smaller safe will be taken and opened somewhere else. The bigger safes cost a lot of money.

It would hold owners accountable for their stolen firearms, as they should be.
    I think this will be more effective then safe storage laws. I think if your gun is stolen you should be denied the ability to purchase another firearm for a period of time. Say a year or two.

Since the vast majority of firearm owners are responsible and law-abiding, they would follow safe storage laws, and those that don't would be punished accordingly.
    We have been through the effectiveness of safe storage laws before and I really hate to debate this again.

I will say this safe storage law is just feel good legislation. It is something a politician says on tv, while trying to get votes. It is feel good stuff, something that is said with no intention of actually carrying out because it is too difficult to draft. There is no indication of what safe storage means. What is considered an approved form of safe storage? What safes are approved? Is a handgun locked in a safe box stuffed in a drawer considered stored safe? If one of the purposes is to deter theft then you must have a safe that is not movable.

A much better way to handle this would be to make regulations requiring trigger safety locks for all guns sold in the US by (for example) 2020. A type of locking system that would ensure the firearm cant be fired by a child or a thief.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are very relevant and that's why you are avoiding answering them. Only a large safe that is either to heavy to be lifted or is bolted to the floor will be a decent deterrent. Any smaller safe will be taken and opened somewhere else. The bigger safes cost a lot of money.
    you´re a little confused aren´t you? people should only be held liable for what happens with their weapons if they didn´t lock em up, not if the whole safe gets stolen
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Good thing they weren't calling people and asking them if they've committed a crime recently.
    Did you not read what you posted?

They asked children if they had ever been threatened by or used a firearm in self defense.

In California, it's illegal for a child to possess a firearm without their parents supervision. And I'm sure all those kids who used a firearm illegally to threaten others reported accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you not read what you posted?

They asked children if they had ever been threatened by or used a firearm in self defense.

In California, it's illegal for a child to possess a firearm without their parents supervision. And I'm sure all those kids who used a firearm illegally to threaten others reported accurately.

threatened by

to threaten others

is this the same now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    you´re a little confused aren´t you? people should only be held liable for what happens with their weapons if they didn´t lock em up, not if the whole safe gets stolen
    How is anyone to know the difference? Say it wasnt locked up and its gets stolen. The first thing a cop is going to ask is was it locked up. The person will answer yes, because they dont want to be held liable.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I think this will be more effective then safe storage laws. I think if your gun is stolen you should be denied the ability to purchase another firearm for a period of time. Say a year or two.
    So not only was your house broken into possessions taken etc. but now due to something you had no control over you can't own a gun. Makes sense lets do it with cars also.

A much better way to handle this would be to make regulations requiring trigger safety locks for all guns sold in the US by (for example) 2020. A type of locking system that would ensure the firearm cant be fired by a child or a thief.
    It's all basically feel-good. The most important safety devices for every firearm never change -- the brain and the finger. Could put in an honorable mention for the character of the person holding it as well. Adding a mechanism is adding a failure mode. If there is interest in such devices, they will find a market -- hell, there might be interest in those "smart" guns if they could get to market, but it's important to keep them off the market since like in New Jersey they could trigger more feel good legislation mandating that they all be "smart" guns thereafter. So in that sense, the feel good legislation is actually making it impossible to sell them since the feel good legislation is compelling people who don't want to purchase one to try to block them getting to market. Yes: people who might want a "smart" gun can't get one because of ill-conceived laws that would take away the choice to *not* get one for the rest once a "smart" gun. They'd be on the market now if not for gun control mavens insisting on denying other buyer's the choice to not get one if they were.

10+ Year Old Account

It's not illegal for an adolescent to use a firearm in self defense. What are you blabbering on about?

Like I said. They didn't call people and ask them if they've committed a crime recently.
    Eat yo vegetables

NO! There could be many reasons for that. One of the laws in the link you gave was that pawn shop owners had to run gun through a federal stolen gun database before purchase. That would have a huge effect on the number of firearm theft alone. The sole purpose to steal something is to sell it. If they cant sell it, there is nothing to gain from stealing it. It is the equivalent to stealing the curtains of a home.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is anyone to know the difference? Say it wasnt locked up and its gets stolen. The first thing a cop is going to ask is was it locked up. The person will answer yes, because they dont want to be held liable.
    well, if the thiefs take your gun that wasn´t locked up + your gun safe no one can tell, if they take your gun but leave your safe everyone can tell, if they don´t take your gun but your safe, everyone can tell

2 out of 3, not too bad